• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Australian politics thread

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Slow Love™ said:
I didn't find Latham personally inspiring, but what an indictment of Beazley that last sentence is (and how true). To be honest I didn't like a lot of Latho's ideas (of which he had many, he was a veritable powerhouse of published thoughts on policy), but some of his policies in that campaign I thought were fairly decent and where Labor should have been heading. And for a period close to a year, he practically controlled the political agenda when it came to federal policy.

And to be fair, Jono, IIRC, you came pretty close to voting for Latham, and your reasons for not doing so were more about Labor's previous economic record at federal level than anything else. Near half the country did vote for him and he just about looked the goods a week out.
Yeah that is true. I had issues with Crean as treasurer as well IIRC.

Last edited:

Mister Wright

I heard on ABC radio news last night that the QLD government are funding 4 different medical trials with unclaimed winnings from either a lotto or casket tickets. The prize was in the millions, can't remember exactly how much it was. I think you have 7 years to claim your prize from lotto winnings. That's a big prize to miss out on! :laugh:

Slow Love™

Labor's apparently been hit badly on federal polling in the wake of all the state fracas, after a pretty good run over the last few months.

Anybody really believe the polls? I have very little confidence in their methodology, although people who are into statistics always assure me that most of them are valid indicators.

pasag

RTDAS
Slow Love™ said:
Labor's apparently been hit badly on federal polling in the wake of all the state fracas, after a pretty good run over the last few months.

Anybody really believe the polls? I have very little confidence in their methodology, although people who are into statistics always assure me that most of them are valid indicators.
There was that massive poll farce a few years back 2001 I think, predicting Beazley. I'm abit hazy on all the details but when Howard proceeded to smash him, the company looked pretty bad and the newspapers that published them had egg over the faces. Anyways after that I don't really put to much faith into them.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
luffy said:
Pfft the education system in fine.
Hilarious.

What is also going to be hilarious is Howard looking more emissions aware than Labor within two months.

What was also again hilarious was Howard describing the proposal by the French to apply levies on imported goods into Europe from countries who don't sign Kyoto as "silly". At least it'll mean that it's in the national interest to sign the bloody thing...

Mister Wright

With the IR ruling today. The only way for the new IR legislation to not be passed is by Labor winning the federal election.

Burgey

masterblaster said:
I find Beazley to be indecisive and feel that he's not really a visionary. I don't know, I've never liked the guy to be honest.
But how much of a visionary is Howard? he's the most poll-driven PM ever. All this crap about him being a man of steel and so principled is just that - crap. Look how he is flip-flopping on global warming. Fair dinkum, today is the coldest Sydney November day since 1900, so he'll now flip back to global cooling.
His treatment of refugees is a disgrace, and he's done bugger all to improve the infrastructure of this country despite an unprecedented economic boom brought about by the resources boom.
If there's racism at the cricket this year he'll tut-tut and say how bad it is, but then turns around and sends every poor fugee who lobs here to bloody Nauru, all the while saying what a terrible regime Saddam was (true), invading Iraq yet at the same time refusing entry to the very people who were fleeing that regime.
Apparently that's "strength", that's "visionary" and that's "leadership". It's actually having the media in his pocket and big business.
If this comment was on the ABC I'd have to now give a spray to Beazley about being porcine to be "impartial" - what a crock of S... !
For pure political class, check out these great quotes from the PM before Howard.

http://www.gwb.com.au/gwb/news/special/keating.html

Last edited:

Dasa

Burgey said:
But how much of a visionary is Howard? he's the most poll-driven PM ever. All this crap about him being a man of steel and so principled is just that - crap. Look how he is flip-flopping on global warming. Fair dinkum, today is the coldest Sydney November day since 1900, so he'll now flip back to global cooling.
His treatment of refugees is a disgrace, and he's done bugger all to improve the infrastructure of this country despite an unprecedented economic boom brought about by the resources boom.
If there's racism at the cricket this year he'll tut-tut and say how bad it is, but then turns around and sends every poor fugee who lobs here to bloody Nauru, all the while saying what a terrible regime Saddam was (true), invading Iraq yet at the same time refusing entry to the very people who were fleeing that regime.
Apparently that's "strength", that's "visionary" and that's "leadership". It's actually having the media in his pocket and big business.
If this comment was on the ABC I'd have to now give a spray to Beazley about being porcine to be "impartial" - what a crock of S... !
For pure political class, check out these great quotes from the PM before Howard.

http://www.gwb.com.au/gwb/news/special/keating.html
Have to say, that's an impressive rant. Don't disagree with a single word.

pasag

RTDAS
Yep, I think he's finally had his day. One too many stuff ups. If the party are going to get rid of him, they should do it right now, not wait till a day before the election.

In other news, I'm not a fan of Bracks dirty campaign ads. I would think that with such a big lead, he doesn't have to play the man, he should be playing the ball. If I was seriously undecided about who I'd vote for, this might have been enough to sway my vote. Quite disappointed.