• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Book Thread

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Just finished The Road by Cormac McCarthy.

Wow. I cannot recommend this enough. I hate judging books so close to completion, as the best books are those that stay with you, but right now this book is about as good as any I've ever read.

On an unrelated note, I'm coming up on a major milestone in terms of the # of books I now have (I average 1-2 a week, depending on the size and how much time I have to read), so I can't wait for that :).

Last edited:

Anna

Robert Harris - Imperium. If you like Roman history & a well written story, then this is the one for you.

Re-read Northern Lights last week; just love it. Am rather annoyed that they re-named the film & dumbed it down for the Americans :(

Athlai

Not Terrible
Robert Harris - Imperium. If you like Roman history & a well written story, then this is the one for you.

Re-read Northern Lights last week; just love it. Am rather annoyed that they re-named the film & dumbed it down for the Americans :(
Could have at least called it something more relevant eh?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Why should it be named after the alethiometer anyway? Seems like they are only doing it to make all the titles matching in that they are about key objects. Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass (though will this be subject to change?). Frankly I won't be that fussed as long as it has 'His Dark Materials Trilogy:' somewhere in the title, though I did like the Northern Lights name.

Anna

Why should it be named after the alethiometer anyway? Seems like they are only doing it to make all the titles matching in that they are about key objects. Subtle Knife, Amber Spyglass (though will this be subject to change?). Frankly I won't be that fussed as long as it has 'His Dark Materials Trilogy:' somewhere in the title, though I did like the Northern Lights name.
I wasn't saying it should be named after that; I'm just saying that I think they should've kept the original title, tis all.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
i read apparently the reason it was changed from northern lights was because too many americans didnt actually know what the northern lights were!! if thats true then its just pathetic....

anyway, I just finished reading the eye of the world by Robert Jordan, pretty decent fare so far tbh, got through 800+ pages in about 2 weeks so must have enjoyed it.

cpr

i read apparently the reason it was changed from northern lights was because too many americans didnt actually know what the northern lights were!! if thats true then its just pathetic....
I see that and raise you this

James90

I tried to read A Tale of Two Cities this afternoon. Got eight pages in then fell asleep for a good four hours. No joke. I won't give up on it though.

Matteh

Started Stalingrad by Antony Beevor. Can't remember if i've ever finished it so figured it was worth another go.

Burgey

I tried to read A Tale of Two Cities this afternoon. Got eight pages in then fell asleep for a good four hours. No joke. I won't give up on it though.
Don't give up mate. It will be a far, far better thing that you do, than you have ever done.

And it was a far, far better rest that you went to, than you have ever known. ...