• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

Burgey

I reckon the Venn diagram of people outraged by what Tusk said and people who unironicly use phrases like 'PC gone mad', 'snowflakes' or who moan that people these days get offended at everything would have an enormous amount of overlap.
It’s a single circle

Stapel

Obviously I am in the minority in regarding the EU as a total load of **** and balls but that is my opinion. I thoroughly realise I am in the minority on here but do you expect me to lie about it? But a ''special place in hell''. Come on?
I'm considered a eurosceptic, to Dutch standards. The EU has a gazillion flaws. Yet, I can see the need for multilateral agreements, rather than a collection of bilateral ones. The way I see it, the EU is the only multilateral agreement available. So, the only way forward, is to improve the EU. I suppose we can agree it has room for improvement?

But what if, to the reasonable opinion of 50,1% of the member of one partner, the EU is indeed broken beyond repair? Then leave! Fair enough. But without new agreements in place? To actively promote a no-deal-exit? That's 'evil', to stay within the range of non-diplomatic phrases. I actually do think there are a few hard line Brexiteers, that are well and truely beyond reason!

The Guardian (I know, filthy left-wing EU-huggers) has a nice article on it today. David Davis, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Liam Fox, Daniel Hannan, and Nigel Farage will take those special places, not the millions of leave-voters. Now, I don't believe in hells (or in heavens for that matter), nor would I send anyone there, if I could. But these 6 are guilty of claiming some absolutely ridiculous nonsense, regardless of what one thinks of the EU.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

I'm considered a eurosceptic, to Dutch standards. The EU has a gazillion flaws. Yet, I can see the need for multilateral agreements, rather than a collection of bilateral ones. The way I see it, the EU is the only multilateral agreement available. So, the only way forward, is to improve the EU. I suppose we can agree it has room for improvement?

But what if, to the reasonable opinion of 50,1% of the member of one partner, the EU is indeed broken beyond repair? Then leave! Fair enough. But without new agreements in place? To actively promote a no-deal-exit? That's 'evil', to stay within the range of non-diplomatic phrases. I actually do think there are a few hard line Brexiteers, that are well and truely beyond reason!

The Guardian (I know, filthy left-wing EU-huggers) has a nice article on it today. David Davis, Boris Johnson, Michael Gove, Liam Fox, Daniel Hannan, and Nigel Farage will take those special places, not the millions of leave-voters. Now, I don't believe in hells (or in heavens for that matter), nor would I send anyone there, if I could. But these 6 are guilty of claiming some absolutely ridiculous nonsense, regardless of what one thinks of the EU.
I wouldn't necessarily call it, advocacy of a no deal Brexit, ''evil''. ''Reckless'' and ''ill-advised'' maybe, but I reserve a term such as evil - and you can include Tusk's mutterings here also - for more heinous individuals, mass murderers, totalitarian dictators and such like.

Uppercut

wpdavid

As if people haven't been hysterical enough, Donald Tusk has said there's a place in hell for Brexiteers who have offered no plan. Christ, has the art of diplomacy and speaking calmly been forgotten in history?
He was speaking pretty calmly, tbf.

What a lot of people have missed is the context of this line. He had been talking specifically about the possible impact on Ireland, and in particular its impact on the peace process, as one of the original ideals of what was then the EC had been to make the conflicts from the first half of the 20th century unthinkable. Hence his strong wording for those who hadn't even considered how this might all play out.

As others have said, the hypocrisy of the most vocal complaints coming from those who are most likely to bleat about PC snowflakes not being able to cope with fee speech is remarkable, even by their standards.

andmark

He was speaking pretty calmly, tbf.

What a lot of people have missed is the context of this line. He had been talking specifically about the possible impact on Ireland, and in particular its impact on the peace process, as one of the original ideals of what was then the EC had been to make the conflicts from the first half of the 20th century unthinkable. Hence his strong wording for those who hadn't even considered how this might all play out.

As others have said, the hypocrisy of the most vocal complaints coming from those who are most likely to bleat about PC snowflakes not being able to cope with fee speech is remarkable, even by their standards.
Yeah, in the context of Ireland, I can understand what he means. Perhaps my memory is off, but during the referendum campaigning, I don't recall much talk of NI, the Good Friday Agreement or the border issue, despite the obvious relevance of it to Brexit and the GFA. It's still probably too strong wording if the people involved didn't offer solutions out of not knowing there was an issue. On the other hand, if they did know it was an issue and simply chose to stay quiet, then things are different.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Yeah, in the context of Ireland, I can understand what he means. Perhaps my memory is off, but during the referendum campaigning, I don't recall much talk of NI, the Good Friday Agreement or the border issue, despite the obvious relevance of it to Brexit and the GFA. It's still probably too strong wording if the people involved didn't offer solutions out of not knowing there was an issue. On the other hand, if they did know it was an issue and simply chose to stay quiet, then things are different.
This is bullshit.

John Major and Tony Blair made a joint appearance in Derry prior to the referendum and warned of the likely effect of a vote to leave the EU on Northern Ireland.

The problem is that the likes of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage treat the rest of the UK with contempt and rubbished any claims made, ultimately because they don't care.

I'm certain that Theresa May herself warned of this as well, but unfortunately searching for Theresa May, Northern Ireland and Brexit is throwing up a lot of results from her speech a couple of days ago.

edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-northern-ireland-customs-union-a8234766.html

Last edited:

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This is bullshit.

John Major and Tony Blair made a joint appearance in Derry prior to the referendum and warned of the likely effect of a vote to leave the EU on Northern Ireland.

The problem is that the likes of Boris Johnson and Nigel Farage treat the rest of the UK with contempt and rubbished any claims made, ultimately because they don't care.

I'm certain that Theresa May herself warned of this as well, but unfortunately searching for Theresa May, Northern Ireland and Brexit is throwing up a lot of results from her speech a couple of days ago.

edit: https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...-northern-ireland-customs-union-a8234766.html
John Major and Tony Blair?! Can’t believe that didnt sway people.

andmark

This is bullshit.

John Major and Tony Blair weren't the ones who were getting masses of air time, as opposed to Johnson and Farage who did and didn't offer a credible solution to the issue. In any case, I was referring to pro-Brexit campaigners.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I think that is the first time Drunker has not tried to grope a visiting female dignitary.
I think this is the first post in which you haven't spoken total shite. Though upon reflection, this is a post in which you have spoken total shite.

S.Kennedy

Sledger, although still perplexed when and how I offended you to such an extent, I have you on ignore (I noticed you were still following me around with ad hominems in somebody's reply the other day). I suggest you put me on ignore also. It saves us all a lot of bother.

andruid

Sledger, although still perplexed when and how I offended you to such an extent, I have you on ignore (I noticed you were still following me around with ad hominems in somebody's reply the other day). I suggest you put me on ignore also. It saves us all a lot of bother.
The username should be a giveaway here