• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The British Politics Thread

GotSpin

Swing Low is an awesome Rugby song. Does give me terrible memories of the 2003 RWC

I wish Union was like that in Australia again

Furball

Evil Scotsman
it's rugby you cretins. what an awful country/hemisphere jfc. has the english rugby team, calls rugby 'rugger'. urgh. at least you have the decency to be on an island and separate yourself from the rest of humanity.
England isn't an island, berk.

Flem274*

123/5
Swing Low is an awesome Rugby song. Does give me terrible memories of the 2003 RWC

I wish Union was like that in Australia again
i have friends who don't take aus or sa seriously because they're too young to remember the early tri-nations. those tests were insanely tight, and it was before the bump in player management so it was full strength every game. was a great time for rugby.

GotSpin

i have friends who don't take aus or sa seriously because they're too young to remember the early tri-nations. those tests were insanely tight, and it was before the bump in player management so it was full strength every game. was a great time for rugby.
Yeah I really miss it.They were great contests

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Good to see now that lockdown is winding down the corporate press have suddenly become aware of the economic costs of the lockdown that they *checks notes* demanded

This isn't even on a comment on whether lockdown is right or wrong, whatever but you wanted this so own it you ****s

Oh anyway I've booked the pub on independence day erm hang on what, oh **** off

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Economic fallout happened because of a pandemic not because of lockdown.
True to a degree. To pretend lockdown didn't deepen the economic decay would be incorrect. Massively so.

Again - not commenting on whether it made it the right thing to do. But don't pretend the two aren't linked.

StephenZA

True to a degree. To pretend lockdown didn't deepen the economic decay would be incorrect. Massively so.

Again - not commenting on whether it made it the right thing to do. But don't pretend the two aren't linked.
The lockdown is a response to the pandemic (which was entirely foreseeable); Economically it is clear that while the lockdown has immediate severe economic ramifications, the long term ramifications of the pandemic itself is worse. The longer you have to deal with the pandemic the worse for the economy; whereas lockdown getting the pandemic under control, then allows a much better economic response.

But nothing changes that lockdown or not that economies are getting severely hit because of a pandemic. The question was always whether the lockdown helped economically or hindered, and all evidence so far is that it allows for better economic activities and better recovery long term.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
The lockdown is a response to the pandemic (which was entirely foreseeable); Economically it is clear that while the lockdown has immediate severe economic ramifications, the long term ramifications of the pandemic itself is worse. The longer you have to deal with the pandemic the worse for the economy; whereas lockdown getting the pandemic under control, then allows a much better economic response.

But nothing changes that lockdown or not that economies are getting severely hit because of a pandemic. The question was always whether the lockdown helped economically or hindered, and all evidence so far is that it allows for better economic activities and better recovery long term.
Thanks for the patronising tone early in the morning.

The evidence that lockdown has helped the economy is highly questionable. Millions unemployed. Quantitative easing. State backed loans that will never be paid back. Businesses closed to never reopen. Whole sectors ravaged.

Your whole argument is predicated on the lockdown being the only way to avert disaster anyway. But taking that aside, my point was that journalists themselves were talking about the economic impacts of the lockdown. But carry on.

Uppercut

Word is that most of the civil service now thinks the lockdown as a whole will definitely end up doing more damage to life expectancy than the unmitigated spread of COVID would have, but arguably they didn’t know enough about the disease in March to know that would be the case.

The lockdown/no-lockdown dichotomy is wrong though. Doing nothing was impossible, and wouldn’t be the right response, but there were also many elements of the lockdown that were completely unnecessary and will end up costing a lot of lives.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
The "you must sign a register before you enter the pub" plan strikes me as being pretty badly thought out, not to mention a data protection nightmare (not least because all the idiots out there will get the law wrong anyway).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's horrendous but I still booked a table for Mrs GIMH and I on the 4th. We don't even go the pub that often but the idea of dinner out and it just being the two of us excited me and had to be taken up at the earliest possible opportunity

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
The "you must sign a register before you enter the pub" plan strikes me as being pretty badly thought out, not to mention a data protection nightmare (not least because all the idiots out there will get the law wrong anyway).
We have it here, I just lie. They don't ask for ID.

I might sign in as S. Ledger next time.