• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Economics Thread

harsh.ag

The infographic posted above tries to explain the phenomenon where median wage growth has been significantly lagging behind productivity growth. Ideally, you would have wage growth mirror the rise in productivity.

The three factors mentioned above are broken down here:

ohnoitsyou

Economics; the pseudoscience of predicting with inflated confidence what happened last year.

EDIT: Wrong thread.
More like the pseudoscience of predicting with inflated confidence other peoples predictions made with inflated confidence.

ankitj

I only understood/finished/started reading uppercut and dermos posts

i need to watch the crash course economics videos on youtube to refresh all that high school i slept through.
Once all the esoteric discussion on macroeconomics theory dies down, I will ask simpler questions. Like did Fed do the right thing by not raising rates and did RBI in India do the right but cutting them.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

Once all the esoteric discussion on macroeconomics theory dies down, I will ask simpler questions. Like did Fed do the right thing by not raising rates and did RBI in India do the right but cutting them.
Well, that's really what the esoteric discussion was about tbf :happy:

Fed did the right thing. There isn't any upside to raising too early. That's because -

a) Inflation is 1.8% (for the month ended August). Still below Fed's target of 2%. Until you actually see inflation pushing past 2%, there is very little upside to raising rates.
b) Even though unemployment rates have come down to around 5.5%, which is very good news, the labor force participation rate hasn't shown a comparative uptick. Which means that people who were discouraged from looking for employment after the recession haven't yet come back.

I personally believe there is still a good time to go before they should raise. But I think they will raise sooner.

India's inflation rate (consumer price index), on average, has come down to 3.6%. The wholesale price index, although not the primary indicator, has been negative for a long time now, the latest being -4.9%. It points towards lower prices being passed on to consumers in the future (hopefully). Lowering rates is a perfectly good policy at this stage.

Last edited:

Uppercut

Marx probably counts too. Then there are economists with second-tier fame like Ricardo, Keynes, Friedman. It's not a great career if you want to be famous. And even if you are, the best you can hope for is that you're still alive to object when all of your ideas are horribly distorted for political ends.

harsh.ag

Furball's avatar change the best thing to happen to CW in a long time. Just above this thread.

indiaholic

Question about the Minimum Wage: It seems to be a hot topic for the next election in the states. A lot of the discussion seems to be centred around the fact that the minimum wage has failed to track inflation. Is this true? Why wasn't the minimum wage linked to inflation in the first place? Was it meant to be a temporary measure?