• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The Michael Clarke appreciation thread

If by consistent you mean consistently low scores, than yes Clarke is consistent. Bloke's had a high score of 37 for the majority of his career.

Very similar to Dhoni who has a cereer high of 46, Clarkes career high is 70 something isnt it.

pasag

RTDAS
Very similar to Dhoni who has a cereer high of 46, Clarkes career high is 70 something isnt it.
Yeah, anyone that watched Dhoni play over the past year or so will tell that a) for a while there he was really poor with too much control, too little aggression b) he's over it and clearly back. Blasted Chennai into the semi-finals with one of the most incredible Twenty20 knocks you'll ever see to win a match.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Perhaps if you dont remember a game you shouldent comment on it.

Dhoni played woefully and cricinfo did comment on it. "12.1
Bravo to Dhoni, OUT, And Dhoni falls after a painful little knock.".

The West Indies won by 8 balls

Yuvraj 67 SR155
Dhoni 11 SR 47
Pathan 31 SR 134

Simmons 44 SR 118
Bravo 66 SR 183
Chanderpaul 18 SR 200

I dont suppose you can see where the WI's gained the upper hand.

CIDTGYTS
Haha, what? I said I didn't remember it, implying I could be wrong. And indeed, it looks like that knock from Dhoni was average, although I disagree that it cost them the match.

I'll assume we'll just forget the other example, where're'rerere're you're wrong.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Jono, as poor as Streetwise's posting is, and tbf, it is poor... to say that 'Fact: Dhoni is 50 times the T20 batsman than Michael Clarke' is pretty much on par for poorness.

Clarke, imo, still has a role to play in t20. There's still a place for classical stroke play, so to speak, in t20, not just the slap and hope players.
Dhoni is the furthest thing from a slap and hope player. He plays smart, measured cricket when he needs to. And then when his team needs him to score 17 off the final over he gets it by hitting sixes.

In what aspect of T20 batting is Clarke better than Dhoni? Not at pushing the ball around, not at rotating the strike, not at hitting boundaries.

If you play Clarke every game just in case that on the 1 in 500 occasion that you get a greentop in a T20 match, then yes, maybe Clarke is better than Dhoni.

I truly believe Dhoni is in another world of T20 batting compared to Clarke. I know you're not arguing Clarke is better, but I don't think he's better at any aspect of T20 batting at all.

Last edited:

honestbharani

Perhaps if you dont remember a game you shouldent comment on it.

Dhoni played woefully and cricinfo did comment on it. "12.1
Bravo to Dhoni, OUT, And Dhoni falls after a painful little knock.".

The West Indies won by 8 balls

Yuvraj 67 SR155
Dhoni 11 SR 47
Pathan 31 SR 134

Simmons 44 SR 118
Bravo 66 SR 183
Chanderpaul 18 SR 200

I dont suppose you can see where the WI's gained the upper hand.

CIDTGYTS
painful little knock does not = costing India the game.

Sir Alex

Banned
The last two pages have been dire. I thought senior posters were to show the way. 8-)

The difference between Dhoni and Clarke is that, while their SRs look similar, Dhoni's case is more of an exception, and anomaly as compared to Clarke, and is dead sure to bring it upto decent levels by the end of his career. He has already raised it by 3 points in the last 2 matches, and his domestic average and strike rate are in a different zone altogether when compared to Clarke's. Plus he has a WC win thrown in there too.

Burgey

Dhoni is the furthest thing from a slap and hope player. He plays smart, measured cricket when he needs to. And then when his team needs him to score 17 off the final over he gets it by hitting sixes.

In what aspect of T20 batting is Clarke better than Dhoni? Not at pushing the ball around, not at rotating the strike, not at hitting boundaries.

If you play Clarke every game just in case that on the 1 in 500 occasion that you get a greentop in a T20 match, then yes, maybe Clarke is better than Dhoni.

I truly believe Dhoni is in another world of T20 batting compared to Clarke. I know you're not arguing Clarke is better, but I don't think he's better at any aspect of T20 batting at all.
Better stopper f the ball at backward point tbh.

Honestly, can't believe anyone could say Clarke > Dhoni at T20s, or ODIs for that matter.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Better stopper f the ball at backward point tbh.

Honestly, can't believe anyone could say Clarke > Dhoni at T20s, or ODIs for that matter.
Haha, that's why I said with batting :p

But yeah I agree, I just don't buy the "there's room for conventional batsman and slap and hope players" because that's like saying anyone who scores at a higher strike rate than Clarke must be slap and hope. Raina isn't slap and hope, neither is Morgan, Dhoni, Watson etc. They play cricket strokes, just they're much better than Clarke.

No one is saying you need a team full of Yusuf Pathans. But Clarke wouldn't make the 3rd best T20 world XI in my honest opinion. He hasn't proved anything at domestic or international level. At least Dhoni has proven it at domestic.

benchmark00

Haha, that's why I said with batting :p

But yeah I agree, I just don't buy the "there's room for conventional batsman and slap and hope players" because that's like saying anyone who scores at a higher strike rate than Clarke must be slap and hope. Raina isn't slap and hope, neither is Morgan, Dhoni, Watson etc. They play cricket strokes, just they're much better than Clarke.

No one is saying you need a team full of Yusuf Pathans. But Clarke wouldn't make the 3rd best T20 world XI in my honest opinion. He hasn't proved anything at domestic or international level. At least Dhoni has proven it at domestic.
Nah you've missed the point, dude.

The reason why these players can score at such a high scoring rate is because if it doesn't come off there are other players such as Clarke and MHussey who can still post a competitive total.

I'm not saying Clarke is better than Dhoni at t20's, I called you on your outrageous call of Dhoni is 50 times better. If he was he'd have a 50 times better strike rate, average etc. Just a stupid call.

So he's not in the best 18 batsmen in the world in t20? So what. He still has a ROLE to play within the Australian team.

And calling Clarke on his lack of t20 domestic form is irrelevant, he's only played 5 or so domestic games hasn't he?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Nah you've missed the point, dude.

The reason why these players can score at such a high scoring rate is because if it doesn't come off there are other players such as Clarke and MHussey who can still post a competitive total.

I'm not saying Clarke is better than Dhoni at t20's, I called you on your outrageous call of Dhoni is 50 times better. If he was he'd have a 50 times better strike rate, average etc. Just a stupid call.

So he's not in the best 18 batsmen in the world in t20? So what. He still has a ROLE to play within the Australian team.

And calling Clarke on his lack of t20 domestic form is irrelevant, he's only played 5 or so domestic games hasn't he?
Haven't debated with Benchy in ages, I'm pretty excited :)

The problem I have with saying Clarke fills a role, is that his role isn't hard. There are other batsman who can play that role in Australia (and the world) and THEN also be able to launch if/when required. Clarke has only one way of batting, that's silly for a team that has the potential to be the best T20 team in the world.

If Clarke was one of the best 6 T20 batsman in Australia, this would be less of an issue, as it would just meant he sucked but there are no better options. But there clearly are.

Finally, I don't believe I'm missing the point because your post defended Clarke by saying that there is room for "slap and hope" players as well as "classical stroke play". But there are players who are "classical stroke play" batsman, that score at a much faster rate than Clarke. Watson is the best example. Just bats like he always bats, except he's actually good. Dhoni too, whislt his batting style isn't classical, his mindset is. He pushes and nudges, and hits boundaries when its necessary. Times his innings to perfection. No way can you ever suggest Clarke times his innings well, even when he bats with other players who are ripping it on the other end. Clarke doesn't rotate the strike enough.

WIth regards to Clarke's domestic T20s, isn't that the point? The guy doesn't play Big Bash, he doesn't play IPL (because he believes he's worth over $1mill apparently)... how is the guy actually going to improve his T20 ability if he doesn't play? Yet he's captain of a team which I believe should be the best in the world.

Just makes no sense.

benchmark00

Look, the simple fact is that imo Clarke is being used in a poor fashion. He shouldn't be coming in when they have massive momentum, but that's not to say he doesn't have a role to play.

Who are you suggesting in Australia could play the role he should be playing? You mentioned Watson but he's allready in the team.

FTR, I wasn't referring to anyone in particular when I said slap and hope, it was merely a term I coined to describe that there is a place for the two extremes in a t20 team.

I don't think he's too bad at rotating the strike itbt, well at least not getting hugely bogged down. His problem when compared to the really good t20 players is that he doesn't hit enough boundaries.