• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

The new normal

vcs

I think in the future the key will be more choice. For someone like vcs who prefers to be in the office, once the social distancing aspects have cleared then it won't be a problem. But for those who prefer the WFH routine, that will be far more amenable than it might have been pre-lockdown. I am sure some companies will revert back to their old ways but these will be the exception I reckon.
Yeah I have colleagues who were following the 4 days WFH, one day at office per week routine even before COVID. I'm sure plenty do that in Bangalore given the traffic issues. Each to their own and all that.

vcs

Yeah and I also think our personalities affect how we see this too. I feel like you're the type of person who likes a strong routine, are very organized, conscientious and would get bored quickly if you had nothing to do.

On the other hand...
LOL not at all haha. It just puts a bit of discipline and time constraint into my daily routine, which I need, frankly speaking. :p

Teja.

Global Moderator
Also how good is being able to take a proper post-lunch nap on your bed and everything.

Reason Number 77 why WFH owns.

vcs

Also how good is being able to take a proper post-lunch nap on your bed and everything.

Reason Number 77 why WFH owns.
This is undoubtedly very nice. I have been doing this over the last week or so.

Daemon

I think in the future the key will be more choice. For someone like vcs who prefers to be in the office, once the social distancing aspects have cleared then it won't be a problem. But for those who prefer the WFH routine, that will be far more amenable than it might have been pre-lockdown. I am sure some companies will revert back to their old ways but these will be the exception I reckon.
Agreed with everything except the last bit. It seems like most companies are dying to bring everyone back to work for productivity purposes, but I admit that might be more of an Asian thing.

vcs

Agreed with everything except the last bit. It seems like most companies are dying to bring everyone back to work for productivity purposes, but I admit that might be more of an Asian thing.
In the few software companies that I know of, this is not true at all (only anecdotal data from speaking to colleagues and friends in those companies). In fact, now that they see people are equally (if not more) productive at home, there's no reason to risk the massive PR fail or possible legal consequences that an office outbreak would result in. They're encouraging employees to buy monitors, home office equipment, UPS etc. and reimbursing those expenses in many cases.

Shri

I'd totally slack off and not do anything but hit my minimum targets if I worked from home lol

Had the option in Amazon a few years back and I'd finish my quota at like 9 am and play ps4 all day before mailing in my report at 5

Teja.

Global Moderator
Yeah Daemon, a lot of the MNCs/Software companies have asked people to WFH till the end of this year and I don't see law firms physically at even half capacity for the next couple of months at least. Not sure about the big 4.

India's problem with COVID is a lot more serious than some of the other asian countries though.

vcs

What were you doing at Amazon haha, I'm surprised you could manage to do that

Thought they were notorious for micro-managing, workplace bullying and working their employees to the absolute bone. They're such a dislikeable company.

Uppercut

Thought they were notorious for micro-managing, workplace bullying and working their employees to the absolute bone. They're such a dislikeable company.
There was a NYT article about that a few years back but I don't know how representative it was. Their employee satisfaction scores are always relatively high and anyone I've known who has worked for them has only had good things to say about the experience.

vcs

There was a NYT article about that a few years back but I don't know how representative it was. Their employee satisfaction scores are always relatively high and anyone I've known who has worked for them has only had good things to say about the experience.
I remember reading that the satisfaction scores were much lower across the board in comparison to corresponding roles in other software companies.

I think it's fairly well known that their company culture is generally "employees, especially the lower level ones are expendable, all that matters is keeping the customer happy". I've heard that they actively aim for, pretty much, a dog-eat-dog culture, which is not really surprising considering the ghoul who runs it. I'm sure it suits the people who do well out of it though.

Shri

Pricing analyst for the american site where we had to crawl through competitor sites like walmart and what not all day everyday to match prices

Worked out well because I sent any and all ridiculous deals to my bro in Texas during black friday. He got a huge led tv for dirt cheap thanks to me among other things:laugh:

honestbharani

I remember reading that the satisfaction scores were much lower across the board in comparison to corresponding roles in other software companies.

I think it's fairly well known that their company culture is generally "employees, especially the lower level ones are expendable, all that matters is keeping the customer happy". I've heard that they actively aim for, pretty much, a dog-eat-dog culture, which is not really surprising considering the ghoul who runs it. I'm sure it suits the people who do well out of it though.
Guess it is as much down to individuals as the company has evolved and entered into so many market spaces, segments and services now. One of my close friends works there and she had a mis-carriage last year, and totally blamed it on the work stress and her manager at that time. She moved to a different organization within the company once she went back and has been happy ever since and just had a daughter couple of months ago.

Shri

Our team had a pact to never exceed our target in a whatsapp group because they'd pile more work onnus if we did by increasing targets

vcs

Guess it is as much down to individuals as the company has evolved and entered into so many market spaces, segments and services now. One of my close friends works there and she had a mis-carriage last year, and totally blamed it on the work stress and her manager at that time. She moved to a different organization within the company once she went back and has been happy ever since and just had a daughter couple of months ago.
That sounds absolutely horrendous, surprised she went back..

Good to hear she's happy now though.

Lillian Thomson

A lot of non essential office based companies that are reopening are still encouraging people to work from home for the foreseeable future, mainly because it's cheaper and easier than making offices Covid friendly by erecting screens and barriers between desks and computers.

Gnske

imagine not being back in the office already

you're all missing out on some massive munt