• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Top three Welsh people of all time

Shri

Idk I've always felt like they are something the brits made up for a laugh in some pub

Furball

Evil Scotsman
James Dean Bradfield
Richey Edwards
Nicky Wire

With apologies to Sean Moore, Andy Dibble and Nye Bevan.

Howe_zat

After the Beeb ran a '100 greatest britons' poll that got a lot of media attention in the early 2000s, there was a respone called '100 Welsh heroes' , presumably due to citizens of the principality annoyed by a lack of their lot in the list.

Browsing, there's certainly a few worthy names in there, but they have expanded the definition 'Welsh' quite considerably to include the likes of King Arthur.

Burgey

Tom Jones
Shirley Bassey
Catherine Zeta-Jones
This is a good list.

I would also throw into the mix that red headed bloke who played five eighth before coming out here and having a run with the Bulldogs in the 90s. Good player. Kicked goals too. Can’t think of his name.

Also, how about Lloyd George?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
After the Beeb ran a '100 greatest britons' poll that got a lot of media attention in the early 2000s, there was a respone called '100 Welsh heroes' , presumably due to citizens of the principality annoyed by a lack of their lot in the list.

Browsing, there's certainly a few worthy names in there, but they have expanded the definition 'Welsh' quite considerably to include the likes of King Arthur.
Huh. Had no idea Bertrand Russell or Lawrence of Arabia were even vaguely Welsh.

Bit surprised they didn't include Henry V. I vaguely recall Ian Holm (brandishing a very Welsh accent) ribbing Kenneth Branagh's Henry for being a Leekist in his version of Billy S's play.

I'd treat any poll that ranks Ron Davies (best known for being disingenuous about why he was mugged on Clapham Common and, er, badger watching at a renowned cruising spot) over TE Lawrence (a man who wore his preference for members of his own gender rather more proudly) with slight suspicion though.

wpdavid

Huh. Had no idea Bertrand Russell or Lawrence of Arabia were even vaguely Welsh.

Bit surprised they didn't include Henry V. I vaguely recall Ian Holm (brandishing a very Welsh accent) ribbing Kenneth Branagh's Henry for being a Leekist in his version of Billy S's play.

I'd treat any poll that ranks Ron Davies (best known for being disingenuous about why he was mugged on Clapham Common and, er, badger watching at a renowned cruising spot) over TE Lawrence (a man who wore his preference for members of his own gender rather more proudly) with slight suspicion though.
Are you sure it wasn't the Ron Davies who used to play centre forward for Southampton back in the late 1960s and early 1970s?

EDIT
No, not according to Wiki. But I reckon the relevant voters thought they were voting for the erstwhile Saints legend

Last edited: