• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening in Turkey?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Oh. This is concerning given Turkey has been at the point of breakdown with lot of regional tension over the past many months.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
i think Erdogan had moved beyond his sell by date but surely this wasn't an answer. The economy had done well under him for more than a decade, and turkey had been a **** country under the military

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Oh, will be stranded I suppose. Military has been telling every one to go to their homes apparently. Facebook, Twitter etc were blocked just before the coup. This is the sad world we live in. I would think ten times before going to France for instance now.

watson

Banned
The full Turkish military statement reads: “Turkish Armed Forces have completely taken over the administration of the country to reinstate constitutional order, human rights and freedoms, the rule of law and general security that was damaged.

“All international agreements are still valid. We hope that all of our good relationships with all countries will continue.”

The Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan is on holiday and outside the country. Reuters has quoted a source within his office as saying that he is safe.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jul/15/turkey-coup-attempt-military-gunfire-ankara

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Turkish Government spokesperson saying government still in power on Al Jazeera. Gunfights in Ankara apparently.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
yeah lots of conflicting reports coming out, not sure who is in control

Have to say Erdogan has been by far the best leader for Turkey in terms of economy. The economy has really grown while he has been around

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
There was also a lot of rumour about support to ISIS from the Turkey. This affects ISIS directly.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
I don't know about direct support of ISIS but apparently there was no action taken against ISIS by Erdogan because of his issues with the Kurds

hendrix

Nothing is going to happen to him per say. The nation was already ****ed with bad rule from what I understand though obviously a coup isn't desirable.
no, this could get reaaally messy.

One really hopes Russia isn't involved...