• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening in Turkey?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Odds on this being a false flag so Erdogan can implement new laws or further consolidate his power?

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
With the 2012 military purges and this event Erdogan can probably ensure there's no opposition in the military ranks to remove him in the future.

straw man

Erdogan is a horrible human being, I especially detest his rewriting of history to glorify Turkey's past empire with the insinuation that Turkey ought to rebuild this, much like Putin likes to hark back to Soviet Russia at its most powerful. However, when have military coups resulted in anything positive? It seems this has failed anyway.

So many formerly safe and stable countries at the moment have major problems with violence, insurgency, reaction and counter-reaction and ethno-religious conflict. The world is not seeming like a very safe place at the moment.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
It's safer than it's ever been.
In some ways yes, but no in others. For example after centuries of decline in violent crime rates there has been an uptick in violent crimes in the last few decades if I remember correctly. So both of you have a point depending on the contexts.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
And as a percentage of people around the world who live in abject poverty, it's lower than it's ever been. Same thing with the percentage of people who die in violent conflicts.

watson

Banned
Steve Pinker has written a famous book called 'The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined' (2011).

In the book he postulates that the current age is the most peaceful in all of human history. That is, statistically the individual is now less likely to suffer an act of violence than ever before.

Abstract:

"A brilliant, mind-altering book....Everyone should read this astonishing book."
-The Guardian

We’ve all had the experience of reading about a bloody war or shocking crime and asking, “What is the world coming to?” But we seldom ask, “How bad was the world in the past?” In this startling new book, the best selling cognitive scientist Steven Pinker shows that the world of the past was much worse.

With the help of more than a hundred graphs and maps, Pinker presents some astonishing numbers. Tribal warfare was nine times as deadly as war and genocide in the 20th century. The murder rate of Medieval Europe was more than thirty times what it is today. Slavery, sadistic punishments, and frivolous executions were unexceptionable features of life for millennia, then suddenly were targeted for abolition.* Wars between developed countries have vanished, and even in the developing world, wars kill a fraction of the people they did a few decades ago. Rape, battering, hate crimes, deadly riots, child abuse, cruelty to animals—all substantially down.*

How could this have happened, if human nature has not changed? What led people to stop sacrificing children, stabbing each other at the dinner table, or burning cats and disemboweling criminals as forms of popular entertainment? The key to explaining the decline of violence, Pinker argues, is to understand the inner demons that incline us toward violence (such as revenge, sadism, and tribalism) and the better angels that steer us away. Thanks to the spread of government, literacy, trade, and cosmopolitanism, we increasingly control our impulses, empathize with others, bargain rather than plunder, debunk toxic ideologies, and deploy our powers of reason to reduce the temptations of violence.*

With the panache and intellectual zeal that have made his earlier books international bestsellers and literary classics,* Pinker will force you to rethink your deepest beliefs about progress, modernity, and human nature. This gripping book is sure to be among the most debated of the century so far.

The Better Angels of our Nature | Steven Pinker

Wasn’t the 20th century the most violent in history?*

Probably not; see chapter 5, especially pp. 189–200. Historical data from past centuries are far less complete, but the existing estimates of death tolls, when calculated as a proportion of the world’s population at the time, show at least nine atrocities before the 20th century (that we know of) which may have been worse than World War II. They arose from collapsing empires, horse tribe invasions, the slave trade, and the annihilation of native peoples, with wars of religion close behind. World War I doesn’t even make the top ten.**

Frequently Asked Questions about The Better Angels of Our Nature: Why Violence Has Declined | Steven Pinker

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It's safer than it's ever been.
Haha yeah if you want to see what an unsafe world looks like then look at Europe up until 1945, where the continent was almost constantly at war in some fashion.

Since the Korean War ended I'm struggling to think of a time where two major world powers have faced off against each other on the battlefield and while there have been conflict zones, I genuinely can't think where a state of war has existed between two countries (that's been reported in the UK anyway.)

watson

Banned
BBC reporting that 2600 judges have been detained. Wtf.
It's actually 2700 judges.

Summary

Turkish government begins crackdown on those suspected of involvement in the attempted coup

President’s bureau puts total death toll at 265, including 161 civilians and 104 coup "plotters"

Nearly 3,000 soldiers are under arrest and some 2,700 judges are fired for alleged links to the coup

Turkey's PM Binali Yildirim says the action was a "black stain on Turkish democracy"

Cross-party politicians condemn the plot at an emergency session of parliament

Mass arrests after failed Turkey coup

http://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-europe-36811357
With press freedoms slowly being smashed since 2015 the Erdogan goverment is merely forcing Turkey into a one-party state.

For practical purposes Turkey is about to become just another tin-pot country with its political power concentrated in the hands of a mad few.

Last edited: