• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening in Turkey?

hendrix

The question was this:
"was turkey ever a part of the european union? if not, what were the reasons why they were excluded?"

The answer being that Turkey is not in Europe.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
was turkey ever a part of the european union? if not, what were the reasons why they were excluded?
They've applied to join but the negotiations have been much longer and more complicated than for other countries (though in fairness, the fall of Communism maybe made the EU more optimistic on the future of former Communist countries than was realistically . I think a major stumbling block would be the independence of the judiciary.

And in the current political climate in Europe, with clash of civilizations dominating most debate outside the strictly politically formalist theatre, it would be hard to admit a majority-Muslim country.

watson

Banned
They've applied to join but the negotiations have been much longer and more complicated than for other countries (though in fairness, the fall of Communism maybe made the EU more optimistic on the future of former Communist countries than was realistically . I think a major stumbling block would be the independence of the judiciary.

And in the current political climate in Europe, with clash of civilizations dominating most debate outside the strictly politically formalist theatre, it would be hard to admit a majority-Muslim country.
'clash of civilisations' has become a dirty phrase these days because of Sam Huntington's book. But in fact his thesis is so good that it should be compulsory reading for anyone with an interest in geo-politics.

Last edited:

Anil

thanks for that detailed answer...i understand better now...:)