• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

What's happening in Turkey?

watson

Banned
Ah yes, religion is to blame here, not cult of personality.
If takes religion plus the 'cult of personality' to threaten a concert pianist with 18 months imprisonment just for being a public atheist. It's one of many reasons why the Government should never profess a State Religion. So yes, religion is in part to blame here.

In short, only a religious government would worry about an atheist concert pianist to the point of imprisonment.

Last edited:

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
If takes religion plus the 'cult of personality' to threaten a concert pianist with 18 months imprisonment just for being a public atheist. It's one of many reasons why the Government should never profess a State Religion. So yes, religion is in part to blame here.

In short, only a religious government would worry about an atheist concert pianist to the point of imprisonment.

Religion is a tool in a cult of personality. It reinforces their righteousness and allows them to say "because God said so" and not "because I said so" which facilitates their rise to total control.

Anil

was turkey ever a part of the european union? if not, what were the reasons why they were excluded?

Anil

Nope.

Not being in Europe would be a major reason for exclusion.
ok......it is on the border between asia and europe and i have heard it referred to a european country before which is why i asked...anyway...

Last edited:

watson

Banned
was turkey ever a part of the european union? if not, what were the reasons why they were excluded?
Turkish politicians haven't yet appreciated or learned the meaning of the term - 'Separation of Church and State'.

watson

Banned
what on earth does this have to do with the question posed.
Everything.

After spending the best part of the last 300 years trying to keep Monotheism on a leash, Europe is understandably cautious about re-opening another Pandoras Box.

What is Driving the European Debate about Turkey?

.....Turkey’s potential accession to the EU has propelled the question of what it means to be secular and European into the public spotlight. There is a sense in Europe that the religion/politics question and its relationship to an ever-evolving European identity be resolved before Turkey is admitted to the EU. The Turkish case is therefore controversial not only because it involves the potential accession of a Muslim-majority country to a historically Christian-majority (now arguably post-Christian-majority) Europe, but more fundamentally because it brings up long dormant dilemmas internal to Europe regarding how religion and politics relate to each other. In other words, Turkey’s candidacy destabilizes the European secular social imaginary. It involves unfinished business in the social fabric of the core EU members, including what it means to be secular (both in Europe and in Turkey) and how religion, including but not only Islam, should relate to European public life. This cultural sticking point is what the debate over Turkish accession is really about, and it is for this reason that it is culturally, in addition to economically and politically, so contentious.

http://faculty.wcas.northwestern.ed...man_Hurd/publications_files/InsightTurkey.pdf

Last edited: