• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

You know what really grinds my gears? II

MorningsEleven

American remakes of good foreign tv shows / movies.

For example:

Anyone in Aus seen the Channel 10 promo for Life On Mars? Anyone remember the British show exactly the same (title and everything) that was airing about late 2007 on ABC?

And, not expecting anyone to put their hand up here coz it is a pretty girly movie, but a year or so ago there was a Catherine Zeta-Jones film called No Reservations. Identical to a slightly older German film entitled Mostly Martha, which was actually a highly enjoyable movie with a really cute Italian guy in it.

I hate it how the Americans get all the credit for good plots and good scripts just coz a lot of people don't realise it's been done before in a different country...

Matt79

Global Moderator
Men Behaving Badly was one of the worst atrocities along those lines.

And Kath and Kim - don't really like the Aussie version, but plenty of people do, and yet the American version is apparently excremental.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jeez, I never saw a foreign Men Behaving Badly, but can't imagine it would come off well

Top_Cat

And Kath and Kim - don't really like the Aussie version, but plenty of people do, and yet the American version is apparently excremental.
Yeah I've heard. Wastes a great couple of actors in Selma Blair and Molly Shannon too which shows you just how poorly-written it is.

Did anyone see the Americanised version of 'The Castle'? That got buried quick. :ph34r:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

For example:

Anyone in Aus seen the Channel 10 promo for Life On Mars? Anyone remember the British show exactly the same (title and everything) that was airing about late 2007 on ABC?

And, not expecting anyone to put their hand up here coz it is a pretty girly movie, but a year or so ago there was a Catherine Zeta-Jones film called No Reservations. Identical to a slightly older German film entitled Mostly Martha, which was actually a highly enjoyable movie with a really cute Italian guy in it.

I hate it how the Americans get all the credit for good plots and good scripts just coz a lot of people don't realise it's been done before in a different country...
Do agree with your general point, but I'm kinda intrigued to see the American Life On Mars. I've heard Harvey Keitel is playing the Gene Hunt role and he's a fine actor. It could work because America has its own 70s cop show iconography to draw on like our version did with its Sweeney references.

American Office is pretty bloody good too, actually.

Burgey

Idiot clients

Stupid toe rag on the phone now.

Yes you fool, the answers to the questions about your case are the same on 20 January as they were on 24 December.

Clearly an undiagnosed brain injury.

Craig

World Traveller
Idiot clients

Stupid toe rag on the phone now.

Yes you fool, the answers to the questions about your case are the same on 20 January as they were on 24 December.

Clearly an undiagnosed brain injury.
Yeah but you are charging them a fortune whilst on the phone, revenge is sweet.

The Sean

Yeah I've heard. Wastes a great couple of actors in Selma Blair and Molly Shannon too which shows you just how poorly-written it is.

Did anyone see the Americanised version of 'The Castle'? That got buried quick. :ph34r:
I never saw it, but there was an American version of Fawlty Towers that is apparently very high on list of all time abominations.

The Baconator

That sounds painful. I suppose, luckily for us, we barely ever actually watch them, because we either know they're going to be crap, or because they're so crap that no network will buy them.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Low Energy Lightbulbs

Your green apologist mates have guilted me into buying you so the very least you could do is meet me halfway and illuminate my living room, but no. Waste of ****ing time and money. I'd be better off with a glowstick.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Think I've done this before

People who hark on about the colour of Barack Obama's skin
People who do this would probably never admit to being racist, and I wouldn't accuse them of it, but isn't making a big deal out of the colour of people's skin the very ideology this man is trying to put behind us? Hate the fact everyone has to make a deal out of it, oh and to the writers on Cricinfo, JP Duminy isn't black. If you want to bring a sensitive subject up, get your facts right.