• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Post of the year

Bijed

Whilst I certainly spend too much time on CW, what I don't do is read every single post that gets made and as such I imagine that I've been missing out on a lot of excellent contributions from the numerous posters here. As such, I thought it might be a worthwhile idea (and a sort-of-replacement to BotM) to get people to nominate their favourite posts from the last year or so (or since this is the first one, no reason for a time restriction, I suppose) in a few categories as follows:

Cricket Chat - Most informative/insightful post
Cricket Chat - Funniest post
Off-topic - Most informative/insightful post
Off-topic - Funniest post

I'll give it a few days, maybe, to get a few (if any) nominations in, then, let people vote for their favourites. Winner gets to feel smug. Probably best to link to the post you wish to nominate, rather than paste it as a quote, so people can get the context.

trundler

"A respected banana"
Srbhkhsk in response to a question, "what is kelaji" (a typo for kaleji). Might only be funny to Hindu/urdu speakers but it was hilarious.

trundler

Also, slippy threads are always in CC but the posts are never related to cricket. What do they count as?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Honest Bharani's posts are always insightful. They never fail to give great insight into what it must be like living with a very small brain.

Apropos of nothing, I've not seen AN around here for a while.

zorax

likes this
I have no idea how to even begin finding posts to nominate for this. I'll just jump on the voting for Bijed bangwagon too then

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't think I've received over 10 likes for a single post this year. My personal bests are probably the Wagner haiku, general Wagner bowling short puns, or ripping into Zorax about NZ poaching other HK talents.

Looking through posts I have liked to find others...

On Zorax passing an umpiring test (Off topic)
Zorax's signature move will be the raised thumb, rather than the raised finger.
Daemon, explaining what his avatar represents (Off topic)
Mine is India's away record
GIMH immediately torpedoing Shri's "Politics thread for the not so smart" - I don't agree with his politic sat all, but this was great and underappreciated (Off Topic)
A thread for leftists then

Athlai

Not Terrible
Bijed is probably going to easily win this, heres my favourite of his

NZC - is they have any inkling of sense, will hire Wags post retirement for international talent recruitment. They could the role, NZC Operations Executive or something.
Don't know if the corporate life would suit him, I hear he gets a bit short with people.
Hardly has to be corporate. All he has to do is goto SA and sign up outside quota talent and bring them back. While over there, have a nosey around Zimbabwe too.

It isn't like the English counties aren't doing it.

For the rest of his annual pay check, he can do meet and greets or help bowlers with their fitness and game preparation.

All I am saying is that NZC should make and facilitate an easy pathway for non-quota qualifying talent to migrate to into NZC FC structures.

And Wagner is the obvious posterboy to lead it and for NZC to beat off some of the counties. Whether he has talent identification skills, I do not know. But he seems to have a good enough head on his shoulders to me.
That's the thing with jokes about the short ball - if you don't land them right, they just fly over people's heads

Athlai

Not Terrible
Nomination for thead of the year is Burgey vs. Zorax

Seasons 2-10 of that one were as good as it gets. Got a bit stale after that.