• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

19th Match - England v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

91Jmay

Morgan a back spasm apparently which is a bit of a relief. Can be managed so he might not be out long/at all.

mr_mister

I tend to agree, it's getting a bit of a farce now and he isn't batting well enough at the moment. I also think Carlos is a hack and is only in the side for so long because he's mates with the captain.
Yeah, Russell's bowling seems decent but hel break down if he bowls more than 5 overs a game. And his batting might come off once or twice this tournament but I'm not confident when he goes out there. Braithwaite can only take wickets caught on the fence

Beamer

These are really not the conditions for short bowling and we have stocked our bowling with nothing else at all! :laugh:.

This performance and team selection has definitely lacked brain to go with the brawn.

DravidFan

England is motoring along serenely, I have no dog in this fight though I always support the underdogs other than when India is involved. This is a poor show by the Windies.

Beamer

Yeah, Russell's bowling seems decent but hel break down if he bowls more than 5 overs a game. And his batting might come off once or twice this tournament but I'm not confident when he goes out there. Braithwaite can only take wickets caught on the fence
I wouldn't have had Carlos in the team at all. He is very luck to be there ahead of Keemo Paul who is an excellent young bowler/slogger. He's not even on the reserve list as Raymon Reifer somehow usurped him. Bizarre selection.

Howe_zat

Looks like Russell dipping out might be the only thing that keeps Brathwaite in the team.

Would definitely replace him with a batsman. Who is the Windies reserve bat? They need more middle order substance, everyone after Hope is batting a spot too high.

BSM

Immense satisfaction when batsmen are on the exact same score Bairstow and Root on 37 (36)

Enjoy it while it lasts.

Beamer

Looks like Russell dipping out might be the only thing that keeps Brathwaite in the team.

Would definitely replace him with a batsman. Who is the Windies reserve bat? They need more middle order substance, everyone after Hope is batting a spot too high.
Darren Bravo is the reserve batsman. I just think we've put all our eggs in the tall fast bowler basket. Today that was completely nullified when we lost the toss. Any strategy that can be undone by the toss of a coin is inherently a bad one IMHO. We definitely have some thinking to do but there is only so much that can be done as we have selected a squad without any variation at all. The next match is against Bangladesh who we have really struggled to get runs against recently.

91Jmay

Darren Bravo is the reserve batsman. I just think we've put all our eggs in the tall fast bowler basket. Today that was completely nullified when we lost the toss. Any strategy that can be undone by the toss of a coin is inherently a bad one IMHO. We definitely have some thinking to do but there is only so much that can be done as we have selected a squad without any variation at all. The next match is against Bangladesh who we have really struggled to get runs against recently.
If the pitch has some bounce in it they will struggle massively with a barrage though. Fizz + the spinner could do some serious damage however, that should be a good game two decent sides with contrasting strengths.

Howe_zat

Bravo is pretty sub ideal but he'd contribute more than all these sloggers IMO. Put him at four and give the side a bit of backbone.

Dropping the spinner is basically always criminal in my book, I'm with you there, but I don't think the toss mattered much here. Woakes got a bit of new ball nibble but he usually does that anyway, and then England were bowling 15 overs of spin.

Last edited:

mr_mister

I remember Bravo being touted as the next Lara. Such a promising start to his career too. Now he is a reserve batsman

Beamer

If the pitch has some bounce in it they will struggle massively with a barrage though. Fizz + the spinner could do some serious damage however, that should be a good game two decent sides with contrasting strengths.
I think this attack can cause some damage against most of the teams from the sub-continent but I don't feel it will get us a semi-final spot, especially with the rain spreading some points around. Even against Australia, they blew away the top order and then the lack of variety and a couple of dropped catches meant they recovered. The batting is lacking a little bit of game-time for the likes of Pooran and Hetmeyer to help them make smart decision at key moments and the bowling lacks a decent spinner to help with those key breakthroughs when the tall bowlers aren't getting it done or are tiring.

It feels like we're close to being a formidable ODI side but aren't there in time for this competition. Whereas England have held this side together for a long time and it feels like they have both the decision making and the variety to win this.

91Jmay

Such a dumb shot, literally no need to do anything like that. Bairstow gets himself out when set as much as any batsmen going around in this format, throws away so many big scores.

Arachnodouche

This format is punishing for the lesser teams. Very hard to sustain excellence over nine games of 50 over cricket if you're a slap-dash, YOLO type of team.