• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Beamer

In the England game, the pitch looks ridiculously slow, making Mark Wood look like a medium pacer in his first over. Has it been like that throughout the match and is the AGEAS Bowl a slow pitch generally?

NotMcKenzie

Jennings goes the second ball I see; might have been a small amount of turn for Bess.

Last edited:

Howe_zat

The attack today of Archer, Broad, Wood and Bess is pretty much the test attack sans Anderson so it's not too surprising they have the oppo 49/2 at lunch.

Crawley perhaps has a chance to open instead of, rather than with, Sibley with a score. I had forgotten he hit a speedy ton in the warm up to the series that never was in SL.

Howe_zat

In the England game, the pitch looks ridiculously slow, making Mark Wood look like a medium pacer in his first over. Has it been like that throughout the match and is the AGEAS Bowl a slow pitch generally?
I think the rather squashed camera angle and no noise has something to do with it, but yeah, Southampton isn't really known for being anyhting other than a blunt drop in.

That said, Mark Wood is perfectly capable of making himself look like a medium pacer if he's not quite got his rhythm.

SillyCowCorner1

(The return to test cricket could’ve been directed to a sub-forum in this forum.)

The windies and England warmups happening simultaneously...

theegyptian

County teammates bowling at each other now. Wood to Stokes.

I'd love for someone to sledge the **** out of Stokes whilst he's batting here just for a laugh.

Daemon

Crawley's ridiculously tall isn't he

Bess' run up and action is a lot like Lyon's with maybe 75% of the work

Bijed

Woakes bowling with Stokes and Foakes at the crease. I think this may be the closest we ever get.

honestbharani

Just ask Foakes to keep instead of whoever is keeping... Need to recreate Dilley, Willey, Lillee (did that ever happen btw)/

wpdavid

Just ask Foakes to keep instead of whoever is keeping... Need to recreate Dilley, Willey, Lillee (did that ever happen btw)/
I'm pretty sure it did, when England toured Australia in 1979/80.

Here we go - 2nd innings of the 1st test.
https://www.espncricinfo.com/series...nd-1st-test-england-tour-of-australia-1979-80

Whilst we're on the subject, Brian Johnstone's famous line 'The bowler's Holding, the batsman's Willey' was never actually used in live commentary. Apparently someone wrote to him at TMS advising Johnners to be careful about saying this, and BJ did read the letter out. What's less well known is that the writer of the letter signed him/herself as 'Miss Tess Tickle'.

Last edited:

Beamer

Da Silva finishes on 58 not out. Wow what a case he has made. If Dowrich is injured, he definitely comes in. If Campbell messes up badly, he can come in to open also.