• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

2017 NZ General Election

vcs

Sorry, by "protecting our house prices" I meant "desiring lower/reasonable house prices"

NZ house prices are high, and continue to grow higher. A lot of left-wing sentiment argues or subtly hints that immigration is the issue, and even the mainstream left is not far removed from the "keep New Zealand for New Zealanders" sentiment; it starts off with an attack on wealthy investors, but very much targets immigrants too, as obviously they're a source of demand in a higher seller-friendly market.

The actual problems are a) lack of capital gains tax on property which makes it a much better investment than anything else and b) just general geographic trends with a low population density but sharp sharply growing urban areas such as Auckland that haven't had proper densification planning, creating vicious cycles of urban sprawl.
This is a bad problem in general, including Indian cities. You have to pay upto Rs. 50K/month as rent for a small apartment in Mumbai FFS.

It should never be possible to earn a full-time income through renting out property alone.

hendrix

This is a bad problem in general, including Indian cities. You have to pay upto Rs. 50K/month as rent for a small apartment in Mumbai FFS.

It should never be possible to earn a full-time income through renting out property alone.
In Auckland it's also been a problem causes by backwards council planning that doesn't allow apartment buildings anywhere outside of a small central city.

Flem274*

123/5
it sucks that it's political suicide to get tough on the auckland voting bloc

"you have to go upwards, not outwards, cities are expensive and don't allow for idyllic suburbia because they're cities" = you less relevant than john banks now is

Zinzan

In Auckland it's also been a problem causes by backwards council planning that doesn't allow apartment buildings anywhere outside of a small central city.
Which of course is no longer true as of the latest Auckland unitary plan, which is all about the transport hubs.

As an owner of Auckland property, I'm possibly coming from a slightly selfish POV in being worried about the possibility of a Labour, Greens and NZF coalition. So while National might be polling well above Labour individually, that 3-way coalition isn't that unlikely a prospect is it?

I must confess to being generally fairly bored with NZ politics in the last few years, so haven't been following too closely.

Fuller Pilch

I'm not impressed with any of the parties and their policies. The scary thing is that the old racist populist king-maker actually looks like the best option, and I have never ever considered for NZF in my life! I also think Davis is a really odd choice for deputy. He's not on the list and could lose to Hone Harawira (Mana Party) in Te Tai Tokerau. Besides wouldn't it be better for Labour to grease up Hone and get him as another potential coalition partner?

Burgey

Is there an NZ equivalent of the UKIP which a few of the hard right #freedom warriors from the shaky Isles can throw a vote towards?

Athlai

Not Terrible
Is there an NZ equivalent of the UKIP which a few of the hard right #freedom warriors from the shaky Isles can throw a vote towards?
Nah we don't really have an equivalent, all parties are centrist or left. NZ first is fairly racist on immigration but theyre just a populist party that traditionally is more or less centre left. We have two parties that are basically one man affairs that are maybe approaching the right but this election cycle everyone is more or less playing it very safe policy wise.

Fuller Pilch

There is also ACT which is extreme right-wing on free-market ideology (low tax, user pays, cut social welfare and a bit nutty - wanting euthanasia), but not on race grounds. They will only get one MP out of 120+

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
UKIP types in New Zealand would be split between ACT (freedom warriors, vaguely close to the Australian Liberal Democrats) and NZ First (anti-immigration warriors, vaguely close to the Australian One Nation, but more 'cult of personality' driven than them). Those two parties really hate each other too, and have almost opposite policies on most things. UKIP itself is probably the strange beast here rather than NZ and Australia for splitting those ideas.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Fair enough. So typically Kiwi to be agreeable. #spiritofcricket
We did have an outspoken controversial rich businessman make his own party and run this election cycle with Gareth Morgan and his The Opportunities Party. The guy had a relatively controversial opinion a few years back that implied cats should be killed due to their impact on NZs wildlife.

But he's actually waged a fairly reasonable campaign.

The Opportunities Party - Core Policies

I think people were expecting a bit more radical ideas to be coming from him but he more or less falls in line within the existing Kiwi politics zeitgeist perfectly.

Athlai

Not Terrible
UKIP types in New Zealand would be split between ACT (freedom warriors, vaguely close to the Australian Liberal Democrats) and NZ First (anti-immigration warriors, vaguely close to the Australian One Nation, but more 'cult of personality' driven than them). Those two parties really hate each other too, and have almost opposite policies on most things. UKIP itself is probably the strange beast here rather than NZ and Australia for splitting those ideas.
You probably have a better idea of this than I do Cribblet but this is by far the least wacky Act policy's for an election I've ever seen.

hendrix

I agree with David Seymour on many things. Probably most things, even.

His attack on cigarette tax is frankly bizarre though.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
You probably have a better idea of this than I do Cribblet but this is by far the least wacky Act policy's for an election I've ever seen.
Seymour gonna Seymour.

They are running a gender non-binary anarchist in Ohariu if that makes you feel better re: how normie they've become though.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Seymour gonna Seymour.

They are running a gender non-binary anarchist in Ohariu if that makes you feel better re: how normie they've become though.
They're never going to get more than one MP so doing slightly controversial things for seats that don't matter doesn't seem all that controversial.

It's heating up to be one of the most exciting Kiwi elections ever aside from the fact none of the parties really have any particularly radical policies or ideas. When you look at the **** shows of elections around the world it's sort of reassuring for the worst possible option to be perfectly acceptable.

hendrix

I really wish Winston would just piss off.

He's screwing up both the left and the right with his regressive speeches.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Winston had a lot of value in NZ politics over the years in opposition and I'll miss him when he's gone but yeah, he's the worst bit about this election. That said I do think he's unlikely to do much harm in either coalition government. Immigration reform tempered by either major party will still likely be alright in my eyes.

Zinzan

Winston had a lot of value in NZ politics over the years in opposition and I'll miss him when he's gone but yeah, he's the worst bit about this election. That said I do think he's unlikely to do much harm in either coalition government. Immigration reform tempered by either major party will still likely be alright in my eyes.
Really? Winston's always been in it for the kicks and giggles as far as I'm concerned, & has always played the spoiler/distracter card. Don't be fooled by his charm, as so many have.

He's always entertaining though, will give him points for that.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah we don't really have an equivalent, all parties are centrist or left. NZ first is fairly racist on immigration but theyre just a populist party that traditionally is more or less centre left. We have two parties that are basically one man affairs that are maybe approaching the right but this election cycle everyone is more or less playing it very safe policy wise.
nz first are the most dangerous party in new zealand. happily racist and economic nationalism is suicide for a nation that needs trade partners to buy our products

huurrrrrrr my tariffs. down with free trade and our economy with it hurrrrrrrr

We did have an outspoken controversial rich businessman make his own party and run this election cycle with Gareth Morgan and his The Opportunities Party. The guy had a relatively controversial opinion a few years back that implied cats should be killed due to their impact on NZs wildlife.

But he's actually waged a fairly reasonable campaign.

The Opportunities Party - Core Policies

I think people were expecting a bit more radical ideas to be coming from him but he more or less falls in line within the existing Kiwi politics zeitgeist perfectly.
i like morgan. he's happy to throw ideas at the wall that the other parties aren't brave enough to, and despite being more left than right he's happy to work with any party.
I agree with David Seymour on many things. Probably most things, even.

His attack on cigarette tax is frankly bizarre though.
he's the most (and only) palatable libertarian i've ever seen, even more so than pews. he really should just join national. he's respectful, principled and most importantly of all he's no ideologue. it will mean act kill him off in their death spiral because they're all insane internet libertarian types but he deserves better tbh.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Really? Winston's always been in it for the kicks and giggles as far as I'm concerned, & has always played the spoiler/distracter card. Don't be fooled by his charm, as so many have.

He's always entertaining though, will give him points for that.
Winston as kingmaker always makes me nervous.