• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

23th Match - West Indies v Bangladesh

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

quincywagstaff

How are you only realising this now?

Great win for the Bangers. Top stuff. Windies done and dusted and it sounds from the comments in here they were awful. It really seems to be two steps forward and one back for them since the late 90s tbh.
I think it's more a fact that ODI has been their weakest format for some time and considering they were within a whisker of not even qualifying so in that context, they've performed OK so far.

When was the last time the Windies were a consistently good ODI side (i.e. ranked in top 3)? A heck of a long time I'd reckon.

stephen

I think it's more a fact that ODI has been their weakest format for some time and considering they were within a whisker of not even qualifying so in that context, they've performed OK so far.

When was the last time the Windies were a consistently good ODI side (i.e. ranked in top 3)? A heck of a long time I'd reckon.
I think people are a bit sad and upset that a team with so many potentially great players has played so unintelligently which has cost them matches.

quincywagstaff

I think for years people have seen how WI perform in T20s and have so many 'star' players they have they overrated them as a ODI side.

Their ODI record is incredibly bad in Oz; they haven't beaten Oz in Oz since 1997 and lost something like 17 in a row but I guarantee in every series they've played in that time they're hyped up at what a 'dangerous side they are.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I think for years people have seen how WI perform in T20s and have so many 'star' players they have they overrated them as a ODI side.

Their ODI record is incredibly bad in Oz; they haven't beaten Oz in Oz since 1997 and lost something like 17 in a row but I guarantee in every series they've played in that time they're hyped up at what a 'dangerous side they are.
Their ODI record everywhere has been atrocious for ages. They haven't won an ODI series at all since 2014 and they haven't won one against a top eight team since 2012. You have to go back to 2008 for the next most recent one. They had to play the qualifying tournament to even progress to this World Cup and they didn't look out of place at it - they didn't even win it, and there's a non-zero chance that if Roach had been injured as is known to happen that they might not have even made it to this tournament at all. People under-estimate exactly how horrible they've been.

They're definitely better than they have been for a long time right now - drawn series in England, early win against Pakistan in this WC, competitive against Australia, looking better on paper in general - and I think that's great, but it was really quite a massive hill to clime to make the semi finals here which is why I never bought into the hype about it. There was a reason Bangladesh beat them in three series since 2018 and it showed last night.

Last edited:

trundler

I think few expected them to finish above 8th going into the tournament. The fact that they rolled Pakistan over and showed fight against Australia gave hope and who doesn't love an underdog punching above its weight? I think everyone just got nostalgic at seeing quality West Indian pace bowling. Sure, the novelty of the bouncer tactic was going to wear off eventually and it was bound to not work on pitches like Taunton. Just a bit disappointing to see them disintegrate dismally.

Also holy **** Liton hit some great commanding shots

vcs

Bangladesh will have to beat one of India or Australia to get through I guess. Assuming they can beat Pakistan and Afghanistan. Will 11 points be enough to make it?

vcs

Also, it's worth keeping in mind that Bangladesh got more than a few healthy slices of luck as everything they mistimed seemed to fall in no man's land, and even cleared the boundary a couple of times. Of course WI deserved nothing better for their brainless strategy and giving up early.

The sensible thing to do would have been to eschew risky shots after that start and finish it in the 49th over or so, but it worked, so good for them I guess. NRR boost may come in handy later.

GotSpin

Their ODI record everywhere has been atrocious for ages. They haven't won an ODI series at all since 2014 and they haven't won one against a top eight team since 2012. You have to go back to 2008 for the next most recent one. They had to play the qualifying tournament to even progress to this World Cup and they didn't look out of place at it - they didn't even win it, and there's a non-zero chance that if Roach had been injured as is known to happen that they might not have even made it to this tournament at all. People under-estimate exactly how horrible they've been.

They're definitely better than they have been for a long time right now - drawn series in England, early win against Pakistan in this WC, competitive against Australia, looking better on paper in general - and I think that's great, but it was really quite a massive hill to clime to make the semi finals here which is why I never bought into the hype about it. There was a reason Bangladesh beat them in three series since 2018 and it showed last night.
West Indies just look a lot better on paper at the moment

Beamer

Congratulations to Tigers. They're just a better, more nuanced and experienced ODI side than us and it really showed. Once again brain won over brawn.

As for us, yes we have been awful for a long time. Much of that is down to various selection policies. Now we have a full strength team out we look mostly competitive, but these guys haven't played much together and it shows. I guess it was too much to expect them to come together and perform. Still, I'm confident we'll be competitive over the coming years as we have some serious weaponry at our disposal, they just need time.

The short ball is too predictable. It's not a bad tactic but they use it too much even when conditions don't suit and they had no plan b due to the lack of spin.

Having said that, according to Cricinfo Bangladesh weren't in control of 36% of their shots off short balls, so we were slightly unfortunate. But that happens and we still had no variety.

After this world cup it's goodbye to Russell and Gayle, bring in Ambris, Campbell and Paul and let's play a fearless brand of cricket with good young cricketers. I'd change captains as Holder is pretty clueless in ODI's. I'd give it to Hetmeyer or Hope and start fresh.

ImpatientLime

I think people are a bit sad and upset that a team with so many potentially great players has played so unintelligently which has cost them matches.
they're not potentially great at all. people are just guilty of overrating them based on where they were born.

stephen

they're not potentially great at all. people are just guilty of overrating them based on where they were born.
I don't know about that, Pooran, Hetmyer, Holder, Russell, Thomas and Cottrell all show a lot of ability. I realise Russell is crocked but the others are young and have the potential to become the core of a world class side.

Beamer

Don't get that. Who is overrated based on where they were born?

We are not a terrible side and we have some superb talent with the record to prove it. I'd agree that we were not amongst the favourites but the last 2 matches have been disappointing.

Beamer

I don't know about that, Pooran, Hetmyer, Holder, Russell, Thomas and Cottrell all show a lot of ability. I realise Russell is crocked but the others are young and have the potential to become the core of a world class side.
Agreed. Russell needs s break, the umpires have been very lenient on him even bring able to go off the field. We can't play a world cup like that.

Second Spitter

NCN single-handedly knocked them out of the tournament. They never recovered mentally after his innings.

That's rather embarrassing, itbt.