• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29th Match - New Zealand v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

hendrix

I thought Santner's bowling looked very encouraging.

I know Sodhi is a much better LO bowler than he is test, but this idea that he's some type of lethal wicket taking machine that McCullum was talking about on air is a bit ridiculous.

The change we should be thinking about is Nichols for Munro.

BeeGee

Against us Henry has gone for about 180 in 19 overs.... He hasn't looked at all ODI class. I'm sure he hadn't been as bad otherwise but geeeez.
Before this game he had 7 wickets @22 and econ. 4.4.

One bad death over and everyone wants his head.

If Boult hadn't dropped Gayle off his bowling that 48th over probably wouldn't have been bowled and everyone would be singing his praises.

Last edited:

Beamer

Forgot to say how awesome Hety's innings was. Just unreal talent. Really needs to calm down a little bit though, he had 4 centuries already and he didn't get them by being this aggressive all the time.

Neil Young

Am NZ fan. Have been saying drop Henry all along.
Yeah, but your issue is who'd you replace him with.

Neither of them are any good at clutch times on flattish wickets. With conditions in their favour (as they have been for Henry), they're good for 5 or 6 overs up front (hopefully). Otherwise, they'll both go the distance, front, middle or end. For me, anyway. I'd prefer Henry of Southee if pushed. But neither is probably my preferred option.

Neil Young

Forgot to say how awesome Hety's innings was. Just unreal talent. Really needs to calm down a little bit though, he had 4 centuries already and he didn't get them by being this aggressive all the time.
Indeed. He makes batting look very easy. Great to watch.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Yeah, but your issue is who'd you replace him with.

Neither of them are any good at clutch times on flattish wickets. With conditions in their favour (as they have been for Henry), they're good for 5 or 6 overs up front (hopefully). Otherwise, they'll both go the distance, front, middle or end. For me, anyway. I'd prefer Henry of Southee if pushed. But neither is probably my preferred option.
Southee is okay in clutch times on flattish wickets. Not great, not good, he’s okay. Henry is an outright liability it’s like he gets hit for a boundary or has a bad over and completely mentally packs it in. Forgets all plans, forgets all variations. It’s slightly bonkers.

Flem274*

123/5
Southee averages 40 with econ 6 dince 2015. He's terrible at everything.

He's the guptill in tests of odis. Worst ever nz bowler to play as many odis as he has except for dion nash

Last edited:

Neil Young

Southee is okay in clutch times on flattish wickets. Not great, not good, he’s okay. Henry is an outright liability it’s like he gets hit for a boundary or has a bad over and completely mentally packs it in. Forgets all plans, forgets all variations. It’s slightly bonkers.
That was certainly true today. He just fell apart in that over to Brathwaite.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Also full credit to Neesham for showing a level head goes a long way in winning matches. Snatched victory from the jaws of Defeat there.

MW1304

That last Neesham over was good, but the last ball was soooo hittable. Pretty sure Brathwaite was planning to hit a single until he saw the ball loop towards him asking to be hit.

Maybe that's some kind of 4-D chess genius.

Athlai

Not Terrible
That last Neesham over was good, but the last ball was soooo hittable. Pretty sure Brathwaite was planning to hit a single until he saw the ball loop towards him asking to be hit.

Maybe that's some kind of 4-D chess genius.
Cricket is a weird game sometimes. But in situations like this I’d lean towards crediting the bowler for creating the pressure situation where the batsman chases the risky shot. There was a full over to come and if Braithwaite hit that for a single I’m sure they’d have won.

BeeGee

Also full credit to Neesham for showing a level head goes a long way in winning matches. Snatched victory from the jaws of Defeat there.
I'd like to see his death bowling developed. He rarely bowls his full ten, so having him as a death option would be awesome.

James90

Wow. Just wow.

What a day of ODI cricket.

Unfortunately it does nothing to resolve the week and a half of dead rubbers that will confront us once England beat Australia on Tuesday.

Jezroy

I found it pretty hilarious that the 3rd umpire had to check Neesham for a front foot no ball. It’s like he wasn’t watching at all.

I guess the hard thing for all the New Zealand fans on here is that we’ve seen it coming for a while. There’s a good core of players and then a few that have been given chance after chance to prove themselves and they haven’t.

But no one else got a real chance! If Young had been given a few games during the summer when it was so obvious that Munro wasn’t working (I know he got injured but c’mon). Blundell - he also proves himself and they ignore it. What was the point in letting Nicholls open? What were they expecting? BMac 2? At best he would be solid and maybe average 35 at a strike rate around 80 (which is a hell of a lot better than Munro).

And why were no other pace bowlers tried apart from in those Australian warm ups? The whole thing is just so frustrating.

I’m glad they’re (probably) in the semis, but they’re lurching towards it very unconvincingly.

Edit - in retrospect it is a tad harsh

Last edited: