• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

29th Match - New Zealand v West Indies

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

weldone

Yes I agree Henry deserves more chances over Southee. But Williamson mustn't repeat his mistake of bowling Henry as late as the 47th over. Henry's quota must finish before 44th over at the max.

The Hutt Rec

I found it pretty hilarious that the 3rd umpire had to check Neesham for a front foot no ball. It’s like he wasn’t watching at all.

I guess the hard thing for all the New Zealand fans on here is that we’ve seen it coming for a while. There’s a good core of players and then a few that have been given chance after chance to prove themselves and they haven’t.

But no one else got a real chance! If Young had been given a few games during the summer when it was so obvious that Munro wasn’t working (I know he got injured but c’mon). Blundell - he also proves himself and they ignore it. What was the point in letting Nicholls open? What were they expecting? BMac 2? At best he would be solid and maybe average 35 at a strike rate around 80 (which is a hell of a lot better than Munro).

And why were no other pace bowlers tried apart from in those Australian warm ups? The whole thing is just so frustrating.

I’m glad they’re (probably) in the semis, but they’re lurching towards it very unconvincingly.

Edit - in retrospect it is a tad harsh
Harsh, but there’s a lot of truth in it.

First of all, Braithwaite played an incredible innings.

I was shocked they bowled Boult and Ferguson’s four overs out in that spell at the end, we had nothing in the bank with them both gone. I know McCullum was calling for it in commentary ... he went very quiet when it didn’t result in them ending the innings and Henry was getting smoked. Ridiculous to bowl Henry at that stage of an ODI knowing what we know.

Well done to Neesham, great final over. There’s been plenty of calls for NZ to drop an all-rounder, but Neesham and CDG have really stood up and won games in the last two matches.

In my opinion Munro, Guptill and Latham are yet to contribute in any meaningful way this World Cup ... it’s time to bite a bullet and do something about 2/3 of these, I reckon.

And really wish Bennett was sitting on the bench about to be given a chance right now. It’s a travesty he isn’t, tbh.

Anyway, good win in the end haha.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Forgot to say how awesome Hety's innings was. Just unreal talent. Really needs to calm down a little bit though, he had 4 centuries already and he didn't get them by being this aggressive all the time.
I think that's what happens when you bat with Gayle unfortunately. You know you can't really hit many 1s,2s and 3s so you have to go ham for boundaries

Been frustrating to follow the Windies this World Cup. Lots of potential but they just lose their heads

Last edited:

mr_mister

I think that's what happens when you bat with Gayle unfortunately. You know you can't really hit many 1s,2s and 3s so you have to go ham for boundaries

Been frustrating to follow the Windies this World Cup. Lots of potential but they just lose their heads
I was thinking that Hetmyer is probably the best player to be paired with Gayle, as he can adapt to his non running style. Hetty kept beating fielders on the fence who only had to move a few meters and couldnt. Really thought he was in for a big one.

And went to bed when Gayle got out. Wow @ Braithwaite. Remember the name indeed

GotSpin

I was thinking that Hetmyer is probably the best player to be paired with Gayle, as he can adapt to his non running style. Hetty kept beating fielders on the fence who only had to move a few meters and couldnt. Really thought he was in for a big one.

And went to bed when Gayle got out. Wow @ Braithwaite. Remember the name indeed
Agreed but it made him hyper aggressive with his shot selection. Gayle will be obviously missed but I think he hurts some of the players who have a different game

I went to sleep when Braithwaite came in...

morgieb

Woah, nuts innings from Brathwaite from a position where the WIndies had not much of a realistic shot. Shame they couldn't pull it off.

Alas looks like the rest of the tournament is gonna be somewhat predictable, though England losing to Sri Lanka gives me pause for thought.

thierry henry

In Henry’s defence, he didn’t execute well in the 48th but he most certainly didn’t just run in and bowl slot either. He went short and Brathwaite just muscled it for 6. He went really full and wide and honestly it was a really awkward one for Brathwaite and he played a freakish/streaky shot for 6. He went really short, bowled it well and got nicked for 4.

Neesham did the right thing in his over but honestly, just bowling every ball short doesn’t suddenly make him a death bowling genius.

Just saying, to a large extent **** just happens at the death.

Days of Grace

Before this game he had 7 wickets @22 and econ. 4.4.

One bad death over and everyone wants his head.

If Boult hadn't dropped Gayle off his bowling that 48th over probably wouldn't have been bowled and everyone would be singing his praises.
Williamson was banking Boult and Ferguson to take the final two wickets in their remaining four overs. They probably should have. And thus no need for Henry.

vcs

Wow, it seems Braithwaite made 101 out of the 140-odd runs scored when he was out there.

Burgey

Not quite the same theatre when you’re setting a target I suppose.

I didn’t watch this game, but woke up early and checked the score, the saw the windies 9 down needing. 40-50 odd in five overs and thought it was done. Woke up later and saw they’d lost by five but I wasn’t aware of how it played out til Burgeinho told me.

Watched the highlights, and Fmd I knew what was going to happen but was still screaming at the tv when the last catch was taken. ****ing intense.

GotSpin

Not quite the same theatre when you’re setting a target I suppose.

I didn’t watch this game, but woke up early and checked the score, the saw the windies 9 down needing. 40-50 odd in five overs and thought it was done. Woke up later and saw they’d lost by five but I wasn’t aware of how it played out til Burgeinho told me.

Watched the highlights, and Fmd I knew what was going to happen but was still screaming at the tv when the last catch was taken. ****ing intense.
The windies were cruising before and I turned it off when holder got out for a golden...

shifty_eyes

Just watched last few overs. Heartbreaking to lose coming this close. :down: and this happened to them on multiple occasions this WC. I hope WI win against all opponents in their remaining games incl. India.