• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

36th Match - Pakistan v Afghanistan

Who will win the match?

• Total voters

h_hurricane

This self belief wave that Pakistan is riding on in recent matches, is it pure luck and opposition bottling or is it just that they are rising to the occasion. Probably a mixture of both.

Who cares though. They won in 1992, there is every chance it could repeat in 2019, and if it happens it would be well deserved and worth watching.

weldone

Wait I thought shahzad was sent home because he picked up an injury but now I see that's not really true?! What a cluster****
Apparently he was sent home after a couple of WC matches for an injury he picked up before the tournament! And he denies the injury too.

h_hurricane

Apparently he was sent home after a couple of WC matches for an injury he picked up before the tournament! And he denies the injury too.
Rofl. Isn't it the same guy who claimed he doesn't need to train like Kohli because he can hit more sixes.

smalishah84

The Tiger King
thank God Pak won today. A lot of the Afghan fans are insufferable. Now that banger fans are finally maturing a bit, we have the Afghans.

It's terrible out on social media. Of course it doesn't help that the pakpassion variety want to give back as good as they get.

Awful stuff all around.

weldone

Rofl. Isn't it the same guy who claimed he doesn't need to train like Kohli because he can hit more sixes.
haven't heard it but he definitely is the kind of guy who can say something like that

Apparently when one of the commentators went near him just before one of the net sessions (Clarke or McCullum or Slater) he said "Hey, How are you? See my bat - it's very heavy. You can't lift it can you?"

Last edited:

flibbertyjibber

thank God Pak won today. A lot of the Afghan fans are insufferable. Now that banger fans are finally maturing a bit, we have the Afghans.

It's terrible out on social media. Of course it doesn't help that the pakpassion variety want to give back as good as they get.

Awful stuff all around.
and Michael Vaughan will probably poke the bees nest with a stick as well so it goes off more.

How can such a great captain be such a prune once he has retired.

trundler

Awful stuff all around.
Seeing a lot of xenophobia come out on the news too. Pathetic.

Last edited:

wrongun

Banned
There were pre match fights happening. There were also Banners and an air sign based around the Balochistan issue. I won't get into it much because I don't like Cricket mixing with this but the political and cultural hatred between these two nations is deep and I am very sad to see it trickle onto the field.

weldone

Were the players of both teams cordial to one another after the match? Such things go a long way easing up the tension.

wrongun

Banned
Were the players of both teams cordial to one another after the match? Such things go a long way easing up the tension.
I think they were unless I missed something. None of that will ease the tension though. This is also a political fight with India involved. As per cricinfo, there were some inflammatory remarks made by Pakistani groups towards India in Leeds and Edgbaston. Today they were repaid in kind with political messages in the air. None of this will end soon....sadly, similar tensions are often sensed here in the cricketing community in Canada but nothing to this extent. What happened today between Pakistani and Afghan fans was highly shameful and has no room in Cricket.

andmark

When was the last time there were scenes like that at a major cricket match? I'm not sure anything this decade matches it.

Daemon

Yeah I didn't see anything untoward from the players yesterday. I think in the Asia Cup when they lost a close game one of the Pakistani players consoled one of the Afghans. Even in pressers the players themselves have laughed off suggestions of animosity.

The ACB however has been pretty antagonistic towards the PCB from my understanding, ever since India 'adopted' Afghanistan (which was a political move probably not out of the goodness of their hearts).

ankitj

Yeah I didn't see anything untoward from the players yesterday. I think in the Asia Cup when they lost a close game one of the Pakistani players consoled one of the Afghans. Even in pressers the players themselves have laughed off suggestions of animosity.

The ACB however has been pretty antagonistic towards the PCB from my understanding, ever since India 'adopted' Afghanistan (which was a political move probably not out of the goodness of their hearts).
Too cynical, eh? I don't think India cricket runs on any anti Pakistan political agenda. India has voted with Pakistan on many cricketing issues. For example the umpiring debacle in Pak's tour to England when they were handed a 5 run panelty. Don't know what was the vote for but remember India standing by Pakistan.

Daemon

Too cynical, eh? I don't think India cricket runs on any anti Pakistan political agenda. India has voted with Pakistan on many cricketing issues. For example the umpiring debacle in Pak's tour to England when they were handed a 5 run panelty. Don't know what was the vote for but remember India standing by Pakistan.
The BCCI listens to the government doesn’t it?

The timing is just too coincidental. The moment India comes in, the ACB fall out with the PCB. They recall and fine players for living in Pakistan (where they grew up), Afghanistani players stop speaking in Urdu in interviews, CEOs mock Pakistan, players stop giving credit to Pakistan for their development etc. Very strange because Afghanistan cricket simply does not exist without Pakistan.

Could be bollocks but idk.

Spintolose

As today's current game (Sri Lanka v Windies) is a 'dead rubber' I revisited this game. The many ugly scenes - fighting and throwing metal bins at children at a cricket match FFS??!?! (that were largely covered up by the English media) and THAT CAPTAIN.

I still can't believe he did that. :unsure: Has there been a worse captain's decision in WC cricket history?

andmark

As today's current game (Sri Lanka v Windies) is a 'dead rubber' I revisited this game. The many ugly scenes - fighting and throwing metal bins at children at a cricket match FFS??!?! (that were largely covered up by the English media) and THAT CAPTAIN.

I still can't believe he did that. :unsure: Has there been a worse captain's decision in WC cricket history?
I don't get you. There's been coverage of it from the BBC, Times, Telegraph, Express and some rag named after a celestial body. I wouldn't say it's been covered up.