• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

7 Point Left-Right Political Scale- Where do you sit?

Zinzan

I've stolen this concept from Richard Dawkin's 7 point atheist/agnosticism/religious scale. http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/files/2012/10/dawkins-scale.png

Clearly political standings are far more complex, layered & over-lapping than this fairly simplistic way of looking at it.

That said, where do you see yourself fitting closest to on this scale?

1. Extreme far-left
. -

2. Strong left leaning

3. Centre-leaning Leftist

4. Centrist

5. Centre-leaning Conservative

6. Strong leaning conservative

7. Extreme far-right.

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
Your idea of the extremes are fairly ridiculous, they're combining KKK and 4chan Pol trolls on one end and radical black rights activists with the Tumblr army on the other.

Dawkins scale works because it's based on an idea, if God does or does not exist. There is a statement there, I do or do not believe God exists and then there's the shades of grey that

Instead you're kind of asking a ridiculously complex question that your scale doesn't even seem to be consistently answering that seems to be tailored to placing you personally as a centrist.

Zinzan

Your idea of the extremes are fairly ridiculous, they're combining KKK and 4chan Pol trolls on one end and radical black rights activists with the Tumblr army on the other.
It's nothing to do with comparisons. You've completely missed the point, and I did labour the fact it's a fairly gross and simplistic way of looking at something as complex as politics, that's obvious.

Just a very basic simplistic look at the current US political spectrum.

Last edited:

watson

Banned

Dawkins scale works because it's based on an idea, if God does or does not exist. There is a statement there, I do or do not believe God exists and then there's the shades of grey that

Instead you're kind of asking a ridiculously complex question that your scale doesn't even seem to be consistently answering that seems to be tailored to placing you personally as a centrist.
But you still have to categorise and define things for the sake of convenience. Otherwise it is impossible to begin a conversation.

Spark

Global Moderator
Haha from the interactions I've had with the hard left they hate BLM/SJW types. Feel they're focussing too much on race instead of class.

Zinzan

Which is why this is generally done with the political compass.
Lol, This isn't a PhD thesis, of course there's more sophisticated methodologies like political compasses. It is slightly more sophisticated though than the usual straight question of are you left, right or center though?

Also, It''s not supposed to have anything to do with Dawkin's scale, except that I stole his method of using 7 points.

Interestingly, here's how people identified with the more general question over a decade ago.

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/off-topic/13641-political-stance.html

Zinzan

Haha from the interactions I've had with the hard left they hate BLM/SJW types. Feel they're focussing too much on race instead of class.
This is where it gets interesting, because I draw a clear distinction between hard lefties and true liberals these days.

You're correct that liberals hate elements of BLM/SJW that lean towards stifling free-speech.

Do you think being a leftist and a liberal are the same thing?

Spark

Global Moderator
This is where it gets interesting, because I draw a clear distinction between hard lefties and true liberals these days.

You're correct that liberals hate elements of BLM/SJW that lean towards stifling free-speech.

Do you think being a leftist and a liberal are the same thing?
Noooooo. Holy **** no.

For the record, by "leftist" I mean actual Marxists, Leninists etc. They're not really fans of BLM "identity politics" stuff.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Yeah the real hard left don't hate "BLM/SJW" types because they think they're stifling free speech; they hate them because they don't think they're focused enough on destroying capitalism or empowering the working class.

Zinzan

Yeah the real hard left don't hate "BLM/SJW" types because they think they're stifling free speech; they hate them because they don't think they're focused enough on destroying capitalism or empowering the working class.
It's the true Liberal who opposes the stifling of free speech.

Dan

Global Moderator
I've stolen this concept from Richard Dawkin's 7 point atheist/agnosticism/religious scale. http://wp.patheos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/blogs/unreasonablefaith/files/2012/10/dawkins-scale.png

Clearly political standings are far more complex, layered & over-lapping than this fairly simplistic way of looking at it.

That said, where do you see yourself fitting closest to on this scale?

1. Extreme far-left
. - Believes anyone who can claim to be a victim has the right to shut anyone else out of any conversation & can be forgiven for horrendous behaviour. The new age SJWs, most radical extreme of BLM.

2. Strong left leaning

3. Centre-leaning Leftist

4. Centrist

5. Centre-leaning Conservative

6. Strong leaning conservative

7. Extreme far-right. - far Alt-right, White supremacists etc.

You really have zero grasp of how politics actually works, don't you? FMD.

Zinzan

Holy **** I agree with the Marxists on something :p

But seriously, not to rain on Zinzans parade but I've never liked the idea of a 2d political compass. Too black/white for me. I'm a fan of the politicalcompass.org test.

https://www.politicalcompass.org/test
Interestingly, I came out very marginally left of the left/right horizontal axis & marginally leaning libertarian on the authoritarian/ libertarian vertical axis, but for all intents and purposes, pretty much a centrist.

Zinzan

You really have zero grasp of how politics actually works, don't you? FMD.
Cute insult, but I wasn't claiming it to be anything more than a gross guide of the current social political spectrum, I explained that 3 times now.

The political Ausage posted was obviously more complex. .

Dan

Global Moderator
Cute insult, but I wasn't claiming it to be anything more than a gross guide of the current social political spectrum, I explained that 3 times now.

The political Ausage posted was obviously more complex. .
Yeah, but it doesn't even approximate that very well. Unless we're pretending that SJWs vs alt-right is literally the only thing ever. Which it isn't.

And iirc the political compass test is generally considered to be quite simplistic (fails to distinguish from "I disagree with this" and "I disagree with this and will use the apparatus of the state to prevent you from doing it", amongst other things).

Zinzan

Yeah, but it doesn't even approximate that very well. Unless we're pretending that SJWs vs alt-right is literally the only thing ever. Which it isn't.
Obviously it's far more complex, but those two groups are highly relevant in the current social political spectrum, and more so today than ever, just look at social media. Perhaps I should have specified more clearly I was coming from a social political standpoint.

On the political compass, you'll be well pressed to find one that's really going to cover every element, considering there's so many overlapping factors.