• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Any one who knows (med question)

bugssy

My little girl, Kyra was born at 26 weeks gestation. 14 weeks early had an ivh grade 4 brain bleed left side.

Has been going ok was sick last fortnight. Todat at 2.45pm i get a phone call from mum, kyra had a seizure in her sleep and was rushed to hospital where she contiued to have a seizure for an hour and a half.

Her head doctor said that it can be caused because of her brain bleed, which leaves scares on and near her brain tissue which will make her an epileptic. They are not doing tests yet as it was her first one but she is on 24 hour watch, however if she does have another they will do a ct scan and some other thing where they puncture here back to check some fluid or something,.

my poor baby is not well, can anyone that nows anything about this shed some light on the matter. Does the ivh grade 4 brain bleed seem like a logical cause which will mean long term effects. She all ready has low muscle town from the waiste down and slight cerebral palsy

talk to me guys!!!!! please!

bugssy

i just want to break down in tears but i have to be strong for my other 4 kids. thats the hardest thing. You know what else makes it worst. You realise how much the company cares when i have a sick daughter in hospital and you can not have the day off, so i have to take Tyler 9 months and joshy 4 to work with me....... thats how good my company is hey.........makes me sick.....

Son Of Coco

I know nothing about it either mate, sorry! I'm really sorry to hear the little one's struggling though! From psych I know they can sometimes operate on the brain to stop the seizures (split-brain technique I think it's called), but I have no idea if it's applicable in this case.

Last edited:

andyc

Agree completely with what Smith said. All I do know is that as far as epilepsy goes, it runs in my family a little bit but really doesn't effect much as long as the proper medication is taken.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah fingers crossed here for you Bugs, very sad news indeed. Where do you work? Must say I'm extremely surprised they wouldnt let you have the day off in a situation like this.

alternative

Cricket Web Content Updater
Ouch Rob, hardly know anything about seizures. I hope for the well being of you and your family that all goes well. Hope your work understands your situation and gets you off the hook for a day or two. Goodluck mate.

James

Cricket Web Owner
Very sorry to hear that Rob :(

All the best with everything, hope it all works out for you and the family.

Mister Wright

Sorry to hear it mate, can't think of many things worse. Must be a very hard time.

Hope everything works out for you and that you all get through it ok.

:(

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
My little girl, Kyra was born at 26 weeks gestation. 14 weeks early had an ivh grade 4 brain bleed left side.

Has been going ok was sick last fortnight. Todat at 2.45pm i get a phone call from mum, kyra had a seizure in her sleep and was rushed to hospital where she contiued to have a seizure for an hour and a half.

Her head doctor said that it can be caused because of her brain bleed, which leaves scares on and near her brain tissue which will make her an epileptic. They are not doing tests yet as it was her first one but she is on 24 hour watch, however if she does have another they will do a ct scan and some other thing where they puncture here back to check some fluid or something,.

my poor baby is not well, can anyone that nows anything about this shed some light on the matter. Does the ivh grade 4 brain bleed seem like a logical cause which will mean long term effects. She all ready has low muscle town from the waiste down and slight cerebral palsy

talk to me guys!!!!! please!
I feel for you, and I hope your child gets well real soon. The best thing for you to do is to read up as much as possible on the condition, so you can make informed decisions (getting a second opinion, making treatment choices) when needed.

Basically your brain is divided into two cerebral hemispheres, and both hemispheres have ventricles, where cerebral spinal fluid is produced and stored. That fluid then flows through to the spinal cord. In premature babies, there is an area where nerve cells are created (called germinal matrix), which disappears later on, and it is here where the bleeds can often occur.

IVH is bleeding in the ventricles. Grade 4 hemorrhage is where there is bleeding in the tissues. It is the most serious type of bleed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it is life threatening. They probably did an ultrasound, and gauge the exact amount of bleeding, and where the bleeding has taken place. Brains of babies have an amazing capacity to regenerate and grow, and you may not have many long term effects at all. It is true there might be some effects, but many of them are manageable as well.

Now, can that cause epilepsy? It's possible...the brain is a complex organ and there could be lasting effects in areas we can't even guess. When there is a bleed at such a young age, it can disrupt normal growth and damage the surrounding tissues. But epilepsy is a manageable condition and properly diagnosed and managed, she can be OK. Remember to ask the physician to explain the condition in detail to you, and don't be afraid to ask for a second opinion if you feel it is warranted (if for nothing else than your own peace of mind).

My thoughts are with you.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As with everyone so far in this thread - you have my utmost sympathies Rob. Cannot imagine what it must be like to be in the position you are now and hope all is eventually well for your lass.

And as with almost everyone - don't know enough about human biology to be able to know more, but it seems ss has done a decent job.

cpr

Yeah, SS is definately the medic on here, rest of us can only offer our thoughts to you and your family, and hope that she recovers soon.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Err, just want to reiterate that I am NOT a doctor, so take my advice with a grain of salt (or a whole truckload of salt) and obviously talk to your physicians. I just have some knowledge of human physiology that I hope is helpful.

grecian

Have no idea how badly you must be feeling, so I'll just say, I hope everything goes well for you and yours, mate.