• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Are you more politically informed than your parents?

Teja.

Global Moderator
Seems to be a theme that parents know a lot more about local politics, whereas we know more about international politics and/or political theory.
Yeah, a big part of that is our disproportionately high usage of the internet, I think. A lot of us live on the internet while the internet is a means to an end for most older folk. Back when they were young, if they wanted to learn about say the Israel-Palestine conflict, aside from memey coverage on TV, they would have to get an actual book, which would require them to be academically inclined, which most people aren’t. Now, I can surf the web for an hour and get a superficial understanding of both sides of the argument as well as three different conspiracy theories regarding sharia, jew world order etc. This reason doesn’t adaquetly explain our lack of interest in local politics though.

Further, I’ve noticed that my parent’s interest in politics is largely pragmatic, they are looking for what they are getting out of voting for someone. My dad has intense phone debates with friends about what the pros and cons of political parties are, not from a universal moral checklist POV but strictly from a personal cost-benefit perspective. Accordingly, they tend to be a lot more interested in politics which directly effects them. This is in opposition to the majority of our generation that is trying to operate under some vague understanding of what is good for the country as a whole.

If you want to be optimistic about our generation, you could say that our generation is less selfish about who they vote for, but on the other hand, the invisible hand approach that my parents follow at least ensures that they’re actually evaluating the benefits of policies critically (even if through purely self-interest) as opposed to a subjective moral assessment which can lead to huge amounts of bias depending on the messenger and the political mood.

Another reason could be that people in the previous generation were considerably more patriotic and considered themselves responsible stakeholders of the country’s future and genuinely cared about local politics because a larger part of their identity was invested in being a citizen. However, the emotional investment in patriotism has crashed for millennials (which is not a bad thing). Thus, when we aren’t really highly invested emotionally in our community, given that there is some or the other super sensational political event happening across the world every week, there is no reason for us not to follow that instead of the everyday back and forth of local politics which we vote on. (which is a bad thing)

I can’t speak for everyone but in my family’s case, politics has gone from being deadly serious survival strategy to srs bsns in one generation.

Last edited:

StephenZA

I'm far from convinced that we've made the wiser choice here tbh.
I'm convinced that the wrong choice has been made. My evidence for this are the thousands of posts on here that have been wasted engaging with the poster formerly known as Kazoholic.

See also: Watson.
I blame globalization.... it was better when we just lived in a single village.

Gnske

No, which sucks because I want to have important opinions I can share regularly on stuff like jingoism, legislature, the deficit. Words like that.

vogue

Yes, more than my mum . My dad , no. He always read a great deal and knew so much about both history and politics ( both on a local level and international level) . Trouble was we had massive arguments as we were at opposite ends of political thought. I miss the discussions though. They made me think and get better at putting my views forward.

Spikey

man all you guys are sucking up to your parents huh. I am absolutely more informed than my dumb parents

brockley

My dad was a Labor party member and considered are run until ill health,he was part of the National Rainforrest Organisation based in the North Coast.
He knew more,knew about the dirty stuff.
My Mom was a traditional labor supporter,but i'd say I'm over more issues than mum was.
My sister was in Young Labor and the former,Anti Nuclear Party then lead by Peter Garrett,my brother is a Labor party member.