• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Baggy Green ball tampering: Bancroft, Smith and the Aussie "Leadership Group"

anaksr

When this first blew out then I was mad at Steve but after all this with latest being his presser whether all this humiliation was really required. He is rare talent. Now I sort of feel sad for him.

I really hope he somehow gathers motivation and comes back strong after 1 year. Will be missing him as batsman.

StephenZA

The "vibe" I got today is that it is actually softening, and was softening before the pressers. I think people really did not like the look of those pictures that came out last night of the media/security scrum surrounding Smith at the Jo'burg airport, it genuinely looked more like a perp walk than anything else. That gave more air to the "you're treating him worse than actual crooks you dickheads" voices to get a hearing.
While the police were their to protect him... that was more an indictment on how poorly trained the SA police are more than anything else.

social

That`s going to be up to the media.... will the media do a classic switch, from creating a big scandal, to sympathizing with the protagonists. Standard media stuff to keep the spin going.
Only thing the media likes more in this country than tearing down tall poppies is a good ole redemption story

Spark

Global Moderator
The "vibe" I got today is that it is actually softening, and was softening before the pressers. I think people really did not like the look of those pictures that came out last night of the media/security scrum surrounding Smith at the Jo'burg airport, it genuinely looked more like a perp walk than anything else. That gave more air to the "you're treating him worse than actual crooks you dickheads" voices to get a hearing.
Like the idea that the Commonwealth Bank is taking any sort of moral stand over this issue when over the last two weeks it's come out that they repeatedly offered credit card limits to a guy with a gambling addiction who was literally asking them for help with his addiction is pretty gross.

Gnske

So the big question is will this satisfy the nation of Australia ?

Clearly you guys who are actual cricket fans think differently but will the rest of the nation change their stance after seeing these press conferences?

Hard to watch and you can't help but feel a bit sorry for them but then you think, if they hadn't done it they would be readying themselves for tomorrows test.
Resentment will stay no doubt, but hyperbolic rage has such a short life span. I think Warner will bear the brunt of that resentment.

I'll personally be able to forgive Smith and Cameron Bancroft easy. I'm not personally affected by what they did, I can accept those mistakes.

As for Warner, good god. Maybe one day if he shows remorse for the damage to his friends? We'll learn more as time goes on, but right at this moment I hate what he's caused and what he's done to Steve and Cameron, and to think they tried to take the bullet for that ****. I feel like anything I say on Warner right now will be hyperbolic even by my standards, seeing Smith has incensed me. His conduct is just so beyond.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Painful to watch that. You'd think the guy had committed mass murder.

Incidentally, did anyone catch the question that was cut-off mid-way through, about Marriage at first sight or something? What was that all about?

Starfighter

Like the idea that the Commonwealth Bank is taking any sort of moral stand over this issue when over the last two weeks it's come out that they repeatedly offered credit card limits to a guy with a gambling addiction who was literally asking them for help with his addiction is pretty gross.
Now this is the stuff that really gets up my nose. We have these organisations moralising over a friggen' game of sport but this sort of thing is happening. What is that old saying about glass houses and stones?

SeamUp

I was a big fan of Gibbs' stroke-play and when he got his ban it was disappointing. Actually came back strongly after his time of reflection. Remember being at the ground for his first test back against Sri Lanka.

Hopefully CB & SS can do the same.

Shri

Did anyone notice the camera clicks rapidly increase whenever he broke down? What bunch of ****ing vultures.

StephenZA

I was a big fan of Gibbs' stroke-play and when he got his ban it was disappointing. Actually came back strongly after his time of reflection. Remember being at the ground for his first test back against Sri Lanka.

Hopefully CB & SS can do the same.
I have to admit, in that instance I thought he should have been banned for life... even if he helped us win one of the most amazing games of cricket.

Spikey

yeah, spare me the corporate ****s saying this doesn't rep their values

Starfighter

Did anyone notice the camera clicks rapidly increase whenever he broke down? What bunch of ****ing vultures.
Are you really surprised though? Digital camera, don't need to worry about wasting film, so why not try for that impact shot? If it's not hype-able then it won't get you paid.

Uppercut

There's an element of performativity to outrage over cheating at sports. You get angry in the same way that you get angry at a soap opera villain. It's fun and it feels harmless. Except now it doesn't.

But again you need to ask where the idea that it's OK to mob cricket-villains with massively OTT abuse came from? And a lot of the blame is on this Australia team.

Daemon

Man this went from "hahahahaha **** you cheating aussies" to "poor smith :'( " real quick

Hopefully they appeal and the appeal is successful

Spark

Global Moderator
There's an element of performativity to outrage over cheating at sports. You get angry in the same way that you get angry at a soap opera villain. It's fun and it feels harmless. Except now it doesn't.

But again you need to ask where the idea that it's OK to mob cricket-villains with massively OTT abuse came from? And a lot of the blame is on this Australia team public.
Fixed that for you IMO.

fredfertang

Given that there is overwhelming evidence to support a contention that Warner, Smith and Bancroft have a well founded fear of persecution in their own country then it seems to be that if they were to apply to the Home office for political asylum that they ought to get it, and then play for England in the next Ashes - wouldn't that be a thing?

Spark

Global Moderator
Man this went from "hahahahaha **** you cheating aussies" to "poor smith :'( " real quick

Hopefully they appeal and the appeal is successful
To be honest I don't think the first sentiment lasted more than a day. Once so many politicians started ranting about it, I think people here picked up the torches-and-pitchforks vibe pretty quick.