• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Career advise for final year student

DriveClub

I'm currently in my final semester and have no clue how to get into the workforce. I've been applying for Grad programs but have had limited success due to not having a great GPA and no prior work experience. I really regret not having done an internship. I also have plans of doing a postgrad but I'm sick of uni atm having been in uni for 5 years. I'm not just sure where to start outside of Grad programs. Any help would be really appreciated.

harsh.ag

I'm currently in my final semester and have no clue how to get into the workforce. I've been applying for Grad programs but have had limited success due to not having a great GPA and no prior work experience. I really regret not having done an internship. I also have plans of doing a postgrad but I'm sick of uni atm having been in uni for 5 years. I'm not just sure where to start outside of Grad programs. Any help would be really appreciated.
A good way is to make a good, solid, original report on a very specific and topical issue which affects an industry/company you want to work for. Then try to get the report in the right hands through the help of alumni/faculty/counselor/friend. Attach a request for an interview while sending the report, along with a copy of your resume and a strong cover letter.

Ikki

Work for free, for a while, for experience IMO.

And if you can, and have the stomach for it, try to work for yourself and be your own boss. In the short-run it can be ****** but in the long run you don't have to worry about your destiny being tied to someone else's and you will make more money.

DriveClub

Work for free, for a while, for experience IMO.

And if you can, and have the stomach for it, try to work for yourself and be your own boss. In the short-run it can be ****** but in the long run you don't have to worry about your destiny being tied to someone else's and you will make more money.
Any examples? I'm not sure where to start....

DriveClub

A good way is to make a good, solid, original report on a very specific and topical issue which affects an industry/company you want to work for. Then try to get the report in the right hands through the help of alumni/faculty/counselor/friend. Attach a request for an interview while sending the report, along with a copy of your resume and a strong cover letter.
Thanks harsh, I'm not really good at cover letters have to improve

StephenZA

I also have plans of doing a postgrad.....
Don't do it!!

Seriously though, postgrad is very much for people with a passion for what they are studying.... if you are tired don`t do it, however tempting it may be as it can be an apparent easy choice. Also starting your own business has its merits, provided that you know exactly what you want to try do and have enough knowledge and passion for the industry... which, to be honest, it sounds like you do not have at this stage.

Whatever you do don`t sit around doing nothing, volunteer, internship whatever you can.. but don't sit around just searching for work. And finally don`t limit yourself unless you really have to... moving to another city away from family (for example) is tough but in the long run normally gives you better experience, opportunities and prospects.

DriveClub

All depends, what industry are you trying to enter?
For my first job I'm not picky, I'm willing to do general stuff but ideally financial services which is a really competitive industry to get into. Also interested in the IT/fintech industry.

Last edited:

DriveClub

Don't do it!!

Seriously though, postgrad is very much for people with a passion for what they are studying.... if you are tired don`t do it, however tempting it may be as it can be an apparent easy choice. Also starting your own business has its merits, provided that you know exactly what you want to try do and have enough knowledge and passion for the industry... which, to be honest, it sounds like you do not have at this stage.

Whatever you do don`t sit around doing nothing, volunteer, internship whatever you can.. but don't sit around just searching for work. And finally don`t limit yourself unless you really have to... moving to another city away from family (for example) is tough but in the long run normally gives you better experience, opportunities and prospects.
Thanks I definitely want to do an internship paid or unpaid, I'm trying to get into it. I'm just wary of cases where they try to exploit you simply because you're wiling to work for free.

StephenZA

Thanks I definitely want to do an internship paid or unpaid, I'm trying to get into it. I'm just wary of cases where they try to exploit you simply because you're wiling to work for free.
Exploit is a relative term, yes they may work you hard for relatively little or no pay, but if you show them enough they will keep you on and given time and experience have to pay you or else you will get better offers. Exploitation comes in when you have been working for the company for 2 years still getting paid the same and can actually do the job of other members of the team that are paid more. Make sure though that you are not just fetching coffee. If you get a good internship don`t just do the jobs they assign you, ask to do anything that you feel you can do (or work out how to do); even if you make mistakes you will still learn.

And this may sound horrible, but realize you probably don`t know jack at this stage of your career. Effectively, internships are about teaching but more importantly working out your attitude and your potential capability for the company. You are highly unlikely to be earning the business any money, between mistakes and your relative slow pace while you are learning compared to more experienced individuals, its you attitude that makes the difference.

Gnske

Try pimping, it can be a good career and honestly it's a blast and here's why.

Now they say pimping ain't easy Driveclub, but I think it's much, much harder being a prostitute.

But I'm sure you're a hard man, so I recommend this.