• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Chances of a 12 team tournament in 2019?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
We'll go okay next time. Not, like, win it perhaps, but maybe win a match against an actual team (as opposed to a bunch of haggis munching amateurs)

Sarun

^^ Which avatar did you had before you switched to BD avatar?

Definitely hoping there are more than 10 spots in the next tournament.

Last edited:

hendrix

Last edited:

morgieb

I probably wouldn't go quite as far as not watching it/looking at scorecards full stop if they only have 10 teams (if they had 10 teams with no qualifiers though.........), but I'd certainly be very disappointed.

Rotkohl

Yup.

Also this. A lot of that is something I expected but it's nice to have numbers to back it up.

If it is a 10 team world cup I hope to reduce those short term profits even further by not watching it. I really hope we can get a few million Indians to do the same. I won't even click on the scorecards.
You have my sword :cool:

What makes it particularly senseless is that the principal host is close to 3 teams that have a shot at qualifying for a 14+ team tournament. There is no reason why the ICC cannot award a match or two to Ireland*, where they could have sell out crowds. Now I realise that the Village doesnt quite beat the MCG, but 11500 is nothing to scoff at

* and maybe one each to Scotland and the Dutch

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I probably wouldn't go quite as far as not watching it/looking at scorecards full stop if they only have 10 teams (if they had 10 teams with no qualifiers though.........), but I'd certainly be very disappointed.
I'd love to say I'd boycott it; I just wouldn't though. No willpower.

hendrix

You have my sword :cool:
Awesome.

I think ill start a thread in the main forum tonight.

There are various petitions going around. The ultimate would be getting a high profile player to decline playing. Obviously hard to do with it being their job and all, but I think that would really put on some pressure.
Maybe a players union might be amenable.

Frankly I'm not one who usually protests anything (publically) but I want to see my favorite teams play and at this rate it seems unlikely they will.

It's also clear that the funding for the associates is very sustainable and that the medium term profits are there so there's no argument that makes sense.

Flem274*

123/5
If the ICC actually cared they couldhave developed ireland into a test team now, Afghanistan are on the way and if furball is right then scotland are worth a try too.

north america was never going to work and kenyajust disappering was a shame, but countries on theoutskirts (rright word?) Of currenttest nations clearly have some cricketing culture and love ofthe game, not markets or whatever bullahit justifoed the US attempt, will always provide a foundation

slugger

they should just stick with the 14 team set up. let it grow. don't fix whats not broken. after 3 or 4 editions under this set up, its really going to start becoming a tough event for all involved not just the associates. and as a sporting event thats what you want to package to get more countries willing to be really involved. Football never reduced its number of participants. its a backward step by the icc.

Rotkohl

Played Purdy :laugh:

https://twitter.com/purdy34/status/577744735709896704

The comments are heartening as always - an overwhelming majority of cricket fans that i know want to see associates at the world cup. Probably they dont want it enough to put their money where there mouths are and boycott 2019 (and i totally respect that decision) , but IMO the ICC may end up devaluing their own product