• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change in religious views

Shri

Until recently, I used to be one of those atheists who hadn't given much thought to religion except that it sucks, it is everything that is wrong with the world etc. But things have changed slightly over the last couple of years. I have gone from not going to temples/churches as a teen (actually went to a church in college for the first time in years to help a girl out with photography, and then helped shoot a music video for a christian light rock band that she was in after getting her number and getting her to agree on a date).

My view on religion at the moment is that a person's religious beliefs, whether they have one or not, doesn't really matter as long as it doesn't affect your capacity for empathy negatively. I had always thought people who wear their religion on their sleeves were full of **** and din't really take them seriously but things have changed. I don't know if that puts me in a different category since I have updated my feelings on the matter but I still don't believe in a higher power.

The worst part is, I have run into younger people in their early twenties who have figured this out much quicker than I have and it just makes me feel dumber. Thought my perspective was unique and wise but no, the world just tells you, "Thanks for catching up."

End of rambling.

Burgey

What seems to have changed is Shri's views towards religious people absent their acting without empathy to others.

I had a similar epiphany at Uni. Having run around high school screaming "Satan!" as loudly as possible at scripture teachers and mocking religious people, I realized that the mere fact you believe in an invisible sky buddy doesn't make you a bad person.

hendrix

You're trying to get into a Christian girl's pants.

My advice is to be yourself because yes they are human too and yes they also want to get into people's pants so just treat her like anyone else and it will happen. Frankly, sooner than most IME with Christian girls but YMMV.

Daemon

My parents are slowly entering that phase now when they've got **** all to do so start praying more often and spreading teachings on whatsapp

Need to somehow nip this in the bud and get them involved in other activities

Shri

You're trying to get into a Christian girl's pants.
Were*

And I didn't. Saw her at a cultural event where she was dressed like any other good looking woman but then as I got to know her, I saw the innate prudishness and cut my losses quickly and ran.

Burgey

Mate, you can't always equate someone's public persona with how they carry on in the boudoir.

harsh.ag

With the years, I assign less maliciousness among those of the religious bent and among the originators of religions, primarily because the least religious among the religious are the worst imo.

This could just be a difference between those who read and those who don't though :happy:

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
My parents are slowly entering that phase now when they've got **** all to do so start praying more often and spreading teachings on whatsapp

Mine went through a period of attending church recently until they realised they cbf and that it was more enjoyable to spend their free time not going to church.

ankitj

Do what you can. This is a very dangerous road and you will be dragged along in many ways.

Spark

Global Moderator
More seriously though, it turns out that my worldview is much, much, much more heavily influenced by Catholic social teaching than I thought. It doesn't translate that much to my politics, though.

Ikki

If it helps you... great. No point worrying about a past you can't change and everyone is different, reaching their perspectives as it becomes open to them. You lead your own life and not any body else's. Don't feel guilty for learning something late. Some people never learn at all.

Last edited:

Kirkut

See this as an equivalent to define a research problem statement, which means everything in life is open ended in nature, you can experiment with various things to have a better understanding of reality. Avoid absolutism of any kind.