• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Change my view

indiaholic

This is why it lies outside the realm of physical science.
Isn't that a copout? It is like the brain in the vat hypothesis or the simulation hypothesis. No way to test and then it is intellectual wankery. Consciousness on the other hand may be something we can replicate in the future and it doesn't look like a question in the category of "what happened before the big bang"

Ausage

Isn't that a copout? It is like the brain in the vat hypothesis or the simulation hypothesis. No way to test and then it is intellectual wankery. Consciousness on the other hand may be something we can replicate in the future and it doesn't look like a question in the category of "what happened before the big bang"
How will we know when we've replicated it?

Whether Spark's answer seems like a copout is irrelevant. The soul either exists purely outside the physical or it doesn't exist at all. If it's a fiction it will never be "proven", but if it exists it lies outside the realm of physical science. That's obviously frustrating but if it were an easy question to answer it we would have done so already.

Last edited:

Uppercut

I think the root of Shri's objection is that the lack of reprococity is a bit sickening. I share that instinctive contempt for people that rely on organ donors while refusing to participate and help others.

OTOH, his solution involves the government unnecessarily. It would be better if donors were given the option to request that their organs only be used to help other willing donors. If organ free-riders bother you, tick the box, and if not, don't.
I don't think this is my opinion, it's just a fudge that I'd accept.

I think organ donation should be compulsory. The right of dead people to bodily autonomy just isn't as important to me as saving the life of someone's child. CMV?

Tom Halsey

I think organ donation should be compulsory. The right of dead people to bodily autonomy just isn't as important to me as saving the life of someone's child. CMV?
Yeah I agree with this. Every time a subject along these lines comes up I am reminded of a David Mitchell rant on Mock the Week about the superstition regarding what happens to your body after you're dead.

Daemon

I like how it is in SG. Everyone is a donor by default and you can choose to opt out if you choose to follow an intentionally annoying process (fill up forms online, print, sign and then physically mail them back, update at the end of every 5 years iirc).

When I'm really old I think I'll get tattoos near some of my organs saying **** like "I'm watching you", "Harvest at your own risk" and "If you laugh at my dick size I'll visit you every night" just to **** with the harvesters.

harsh.ag

I don't think this is my opinion, it's just a fudge that I'd accept.

Yeah I agree with this. Every time a subject along these lines comes up I am reminded of a David Mitchell rant on Mock the Week about the superstition regarding what happens to your body after you're dead.
With cryonics coming up big time, this won't hold up.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Yeah, laws regarding the protection of an individual's personhood and identity, in Europe at least, are moving more and more towards what appears to be a property-like regime.

Traditionally rights to privacy and other aspects of your identity have been treated as personality rights, meaning that such rights extinguish upon your death, but more and more that ethos appears to be being legislated out of existence by the EU. Nowadays there seems to be a drive towards recognising that people actually own their bodies/information etc. and as a result we're seeing the strengthening of arguments that they should be able to exercise sovereignty over these things even after death.

indiaholic

Yeah cryonics is a valid reason for not donating organs obviously, but applies to a minute proportion of the population at the moment.
Is it though? Last I heard they still didn't have a way of preserving the brain without injuring it.

Spark

Global Moderator
The word "may" is doing an incredible amount of work here.

Again, if you think it's meaningless to talk about the existence of things which aren't made of protons, neutrons and electrons then that's fine. But saying that claiming anything else is a "fairy tale" which is merely "wankery" is, to put it kindly, not an intellectually serious or remotely defensible position to take amongst people who study these things for a living.

How will we know when we've replicated it?

Whether Spark's answer seems like a copout is irrelevant. The soul either exists purely outside the physical or it doesn't exist at all. If it's a fiction it will never be "proven", but if it exists it lies outside the realm of physical science. That's obviously frustrating but if it were an easy question to answer it we would have done so already.
Yep. To answer the question of whether a created "consciousness" actually is a consciousness requires answering a set of questions and defining concepts in a way that can't be done in a lab using trial-and-error. Which is fine, because science isn't meant to be able to answer everything.

Last edited:

Shri

I like how it is in SG. Everyone is a donor by default and you can choose to opt out if you choose to follow an intentionally annoying process (fill up forms online, print, sign and then physically mail them back, update at the end of every 5 years iirc).

When I'm really old I think I'll get tattoos near some of my organs saying **** like "I'm watching you", "Harvest at your own risk" and "If you laugh at my dick size I'll visit you every night" just to **** with the harvesters.
You do realize only the doctors who are cutting you up will see that?

indiaholic

The word "may" is doing an incredible amount of work here.

Again, if you think it's meaningless to talk about the existence of things which aren't made of protons, neutrons and electrons then that's fine. But saying that claiming anything else is a "fairy tale" which is merely "wankery" is, to put it kindly, not an intellectually serious or remotely defensible position to take amongst people who study these things for a living.
People thinking that the areas they work in are worth working in is bias of the highest order.

FaaipDeOiad

A bit harsh imo. I think caring about what happens to your physical form after you die is misguided, but plenty of otherwise good people have misguided views about a whole range of issues. We understand so little about death that it's hardly surprising people have some strange views about how they want their own handled.
Yeah I dunno. I feel like we know exactly what happens, as others have said. To tediously spell out the obvious case again: you're an organism, what you think of as "you", your consciousness, is an illusion brought about by various physical processes in your body, particularly in your brain. When you die those things cease, and so do "you". I don't think there's much real debate about those things. Of course some people feel differently, but those people have been established to be incorrect, in my mind. Anyway even if you did believe your consciousness survived death, your body clearly doesn't. Ask someone who works in a morgue what happens to bodies after death, it's nothing transcendental. You don't have to accept the prior that your consciousness is part of a physical process really.

I think people have a moral obligation to help others as much as they can, at least when it doesn't inconvenience them too much. You wouldn't let a small child drown in a shallow pool of water, because it's well within your power to save them and costs you very little. Similarly I think you should let other people use your organs when you die. They do you no good and they could help someone else. This isn't going full anti-spiritual and saying you should eat your grandma when she dies because she's just meat, or whatever. And it's not saying you must sacrifice everything to help others either, just that if you can, easily, for little cost, and you don't, you deserve moral judgement.

Last edited:

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Moral judgement is fine. However, it shouldn't really be enforceable or done in the way it is done in Singapore even. One should be allowed to choose what they do with their body, money or whatever, even if it's not in accordance with general goodness.

Anil

Anyways, Anil, evidence doesn't work that way. Making narrow observations is all we can do right now and have a prior hypothesis on the basis of that. But that's about it. Same thing as not being able to know if this universe is a simulation of some kind.
hypothesing, theorizing based on observable evidence and testing out those theories or hypotheses is what we can do right now...that in itself constitutes an immense body of work so i don't know why it warrants a "all we can do" as if the whole idea limits us in some way...the only thing that limits any of us is how far we can expand our mind to the possibilities...with the caveat that every theory doesn't have a sound/rational basis nor are all theories testable or even worthy of being tested...

Ausage

Yeah I dunno. I feel like we know exactly what happens, as others have said. To tediously spell out the obvious case again: you're an organism, what you think of as "you", your consciousness, is an illusion brought about by various physical processes in your body, particularly in your brain. When you die those things cease, and so do "you". I don't think there's much real debate about those things. Of course some people feel differently, but those people have been established to be incorrect, in my mind. Anyway even if you did believe your consciousness survived death, your body clearly doesn't. Ask someone who works in a morgue what happens to bodies after death, it's nothing transcendental. You don't have to accept the prior that your consciousness is part of a physical process really.

I think people have a moral obligation to help others as much as they can, at least when it doesn't inconvenience them too much. You wouldn't let a small child drown in a shallow pool of water, because it's well within your power to save them and costs you very little. Similarly I think you should let other people use your organs when you die. They do you no good and they could help someone else. This isn't going full anti-spiritual and saying you should eat your grandma when she dies because she's just meat, or whatever. And it's not saying you must sacrifice everything to help others either, just that if you can, easily, for little cost, and you don't, you deserve moral judgement.
That's a perfectly fine breakdown of the physical processes behind consciousness and death. I wasn't arguing against them. I find the bold pretty crazy but like I said, people are entitled to their strange beliefs. My only principle is that no one's been able to conclusively show that that's all there is to this whole life business.

I'm an organ donor and have discussed my wishes with my wife/family, so I'm broadly on board with your comments there. I just think "bad person" is pretty absolute when it's a judgement relating to a topic that's broadly unknowable.

FaaipDeOiad

Well like I said I don't think you have to accept that consciousness is an illusion brought about by physical processes to accept that your organs will just go to waste when you die. People are entitled to think whatever they want, and you're probably right that "incorrect" is too strong a position to take on metaphysical questions like the nature of consciousness. But I don't think it's too strong a position to take on the purpose of organs post-death, which is really the moral question here.

Part of it is the question of distance, I guess. I have no problem condemning the person who doesn't save the drowning child as morally bad, but I'd hesitate to call someone who doesn't donate a small portion of their income to charity bad, though you could argue they are morally equivalent in some respects. The drowning child is tangible and immediate though, so you know someone has weighed the moral question and made a decision, and to a degree I feel like organ donation is too. It's something you can do so at no cost, and the arguments against it are so incredibly poor, I just can't see the morally defensible case. Or rather, there's only one reasonable case to me, which is just that it's unnecessarily difficult to do and people haven't got around to it. Actual opposition though - "I don't want to donate my organs because I want to keep them after I'm dead" - I find it very difficult to understand.