• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever Nicknames

fredfertang

1980s England seamer Richard Ellison was nicknamed 'Plank', apparently because he was as thick as two short ones

Our leg spinner, another Ellison, wasn't the brightest spark, so we called him 'Log'

Lancashire's Peter Lever was called Plank as well, although it can't have been for the same reason - apparently he habitually dashed off the cryptic crossword in the Grauniad between getting changed and going out for the start of play

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Lancashire's Peter Lever was called Plank as well, although it can't have been for the same reason - apparently he habitually dashed off the cryptic crossword in the Grauniad between getting changed and going out for the start of play
initials thing i guess, P. L. Ank

Line and Length

A few more:

Martin Offiah (English Rugby player) - "Chariots" Offiah

Brad Fittler (Australian NRL great) - "Adolf" but only once apparently. Commonly it's "Freddy" now.

David Hart (West Coast AFL player) - "Dhuf" Hart

Smudge

I dubbed one particularly quiet cricket team mate "Sooty" after the puppet, seeing as he barely said a word on the field and when you did, you could hardly hear him. I was thrilled that it happened to stick.

Athlai

Not Terrible
I don't like using email and CW doesn't have a browser based mail system. That's the primary reason. The secondary reason is that being such a notorious mafia forum player kind of makes it hard to be a good town or mafia player because I carry so much baggage.

Red_Ink_Squid

I don't like using email and CW doesn't have a browser based mail system. That's the primary reason. The secondary reason is that being such a notorious mafia forum player kind of makes it hard to be a good town or mafia player because I carry so much baggage.
You should do a comeback Mafia tour at some point. Not as The Man anymore, more like Ric Flair in Evolution: bring some extra credibility due to past glories while you put over the new generation.

You owe it to The Business!

Daemon

pissweak excuse tbh