• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clever Nicknames

Line and Length

Nicknames occur in all areas of society but, perhaps, none more so than in sport.

Too many are too simple to merit a mention eg Smithy, Richo etc.

However some are quite clever.

I came across one today. North Melbourne's AFL player Nick Larkey is called "Souva".

When I was playing cricket, a team mate had the initials PK. There was no thought given to anything to do with chewing gum. Instead, he became "Nelson". Those who follow motor sport will quickly see the Nelson Piquet connection.

I'm sure there are plenty more. What are the more creastive ones you've come across?

Shady Slim

this isn't a sport one but in high school in year twelve we like most other schools got to chuck nicknames on the backs of our jerseys

there was this one guy named edmund and this other with the surname koudashev, and edmund was known as "mundy" (courtesy of me tbh), and they were best of friends, absolutely thick as thieves just best mates. so on their jerseys edmund got barraMundy and the other guy got barraKouda and tbh i just thought that was neato

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Not sure if it counts as clever but...

I used to work with a guy with messed up front teeth. We started calling him mater from the movie Cars. So the guy wouldn't catch on we'd call him tater instead and told him it was because he liked mashed potatoes so much.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I was always a fan of "Changa" for dear old Graeme Langlands (RIP), but my favourite is the nickname journeyman Palace, Wigan & QPR defender Fitz Hall rejoices in: "One Size".

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I have a nickname for everyone I like. Only tend to call people by their actual name if I don't like them or an unfamiliar with them. Or if they are my parents.

trundler

Mark Nicholas had his finger mangled and received the nickname Knuckle-less from his tormentor, Waqar Younis.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Actually one of my own nicknames, "Barry" is probably worthy of mention, if only for the obscurity of its derivation.

My real surname is "Brumby" (lot of thought went into my username...), which got inevitably shortened to "Brum". In the mid 80s Timothy Spall played a Brummie character in Auf Wiedersehen Pet called (yes), Barry and it stuck for a while.

trundler

Where are all these people putting that much effort into nicknames? Mine just boil down to skinny ****.

Starfighter

One guy in my year gained the nickname 'Alleluia' because his name could be fitted very well into the song 'Raining Men'.

Those who follow motor sport will quickly see the Nelson Piquet connection.
You mean those who follow motorsport and are over the age of 45. Though granted, hard to find too many into motorsport under 45 these days.

Lillian Thomson

There was a bloke at school named Barry Jordan (RIP) who ended up with the nickname Sobers. He had no interest in cricket, but one day for a joke a cricket loving English teacher called him Barfield. Few knew what he meant but when he explained it was a joke based on Gary/Garfield as in Garfield Sobers everyone just started calling him Sobers and it stuck. I think most of the best nicknames just happen rather than being made up for the sake of it.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
There was a bloke at school named Barry Jordan (RIP) who ended up with the nickname Sobers. He had no interest in cricket, but one day for a joke a cricket loving English teacher called him Barfield. Few knew what he meant but when he explained it was a joke based on Gary/Garfield as in Garfield Sobers everyone just started calling him Sobers and it stuck. I think most of the best nicknames just happen rather than being made up for the sake of it.
My cousin was actually named Gary after Garfield Sobers. His brother's given names are Mark Steven.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
"Waltzing" Matt Hilder and Monde "All Hands" Zondeki take the cake for me in terms of sporting nicknames.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
In a similar vein, bang-average Dutch ex-Man Citeh winger Kiki Musampa was rechristened, er, "Chris" on arrival in England.

Some banal nicknames amuse me too. Arsenal legend Liam Brady is known to one and all as "Chippy". Not because of his delicate mastery of the chipped ball, but because of his fondness for chipped potatoes.