• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cryptocurrency

GotSpin

Discussion about cryptocurrency

Is it the future? Should we all be investing or will it inevitably lead to nothing? Is it a good thing or what are some potential issues (apart from the dark web)? Does Social know the guy personally who invented it and did burgey buy him a steak? Continue

Daemon

I've got 43 LTC, most of it from ages ago and 100 Steem earned from posting on steemit.

Kicking myself for not going all in earlier.

harsh.ag

I genuinely don't understand this topic, even after reading summat into it. The fact that things like bitcoin had a built in issue limit should have meant the valuations were low (since the endgame would see huge deflation which means the end of any currency), but obviously people saw it differently, at least in the middle, and that led to huge valuations.

GotSpin

One friend is trying to convince me to invest in bitcoin, suggesting that it's the future and the price will continue to grow

Redbacks

From what I understand, the good points are:

The traceability of the history off all transactions would be good to stop money laundering and hiding/spending of funds by criminals (not going to be popular with the uber wealthy)
Low fees on transfers between any place (cut's out the banks who take a chunk each time a foreign currency exchange occurs)

Redbacks

One friend is trying to convince me to invest in bitcoin, suggesting that it's the future and the price will continue to grow
There's a limit to the amount of bitcoins that will ever be created so I would guess it's value will grow assuming people don't turn away from it as a means of exchange.

Daemon

Blockchain technology is already being used by central banks.

I just get the feeling that these currencies will be traded as commodities like gold, rather than have much practical use.

Redbacks

But open to the public? I thought the blockchain is stored in many places with bitcoin which may lead to more transparency.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I'm looking forward to this book ( David Gerard: Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain ), it's supposed to give a detailed examination of the claims of the [a-zA-Z]*coin faithful and also goes into a bit of the murky history of the beast. The central thesis, from the excerpts I've read, is that bitcoin won't function as money because it cannot function as a store of value. It is founded on an utopian idea that money doesn't need any institution to back it up, which just flies in the face of all history of money.

Last edited:

harsh.ag

There's a limit to the amount of bitcoins that will ever be created so I would guess it's value will grow assuming people don't turn away from it as a means of exchange.
Nah, such deflation leads to currency being given up as a means of exchange.

vcs

I'm looking forward to this book ( David Gerard: Attack of the 50 Foot Blockchain ), it's supposed to give a detailed examination of the claims of the [a-zA-Z]*coin faithful and also goes into a bit of the murky history of the beast. The central thesis, from the excerpts I've read, is that bitcoin won't function as money because it cannot function as a store of value. It is founded on an utopian idea that money doesn't need any institution to back it up, which just flies in the face of all history of money.
Liked for the regex usage alone

Uppercut

I think Bitcoin survives because its users trust that transactions using it are anonymous. I don't think the fact that it's inherently deflationary is a critical flaw, but it probably restricts it to being the currency of choice for illicit transactions. I don't see it replacing the dollar.

It depends upon an unwritten collective agreement that it's worth something, which could collapse at any moment for no particular reason. There's political risk associated with it too. A high-profile terrorist attack that demands a ransom in Bitcoin or uses military-grade weapons that were purchased using Bitcoin might provoke a regulatory response.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Jason Stapleton is sceptical about Bitcoin and I get all my opinions from him so :ph34r:

GotSpin

It's always difficult to research bitcoins etc when you're not sure whether the author has an active reason for wanting bitcoin to grow other than for the common good

Shri

If there is money to be made in something, there is never any common good in there.

Shri

Things necessary for our survival obviously don't apply.

I tried being deep and ****ed up. I am stupid, leave me alone ****s.