• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you agree with the final result?

Do you agree with the final result?

• Total voters

add_sauce

backlash on social media regarding the results has been insane. "NZ real winners" etc. Seems to be sub-continental fans expressing more than anything.
That's because NZ are the real winners. Great game, but equally awful rules exposed right at the end. England didn't deserve to lose this either, but NZ just did more

Again, well done NZ. 2019 CWC winners.

trundler

Yeah, I feel the same way. I don't really care that Pakistan crashed out because they folded against WI but NZ had so many things go against them, such bizarre things that I can't help but feel for them.

PikeyB

35rw1g.jpg

Cant fault the New Zealand fans for their good sportsmanship . Some of these nations fans are carrying on like they never lost a close game before .

Last edited:

Daemon

There is a bit of poetry about England winning by the boundary count that I like. England have spent the last 4 years building an ODI unit that will hit more boundaries in an innings than any team in the world, and a bowling/fielding unit that excels at saving boundaries whilst conceding the ones and twos. Even when it comes to the Super Over, they've got a lineup of guys who can go from ball 1, and in Jofra Archer have perhaps the best possible bowler not named Starc or Bumrah to bowl it. Their captain literally set the record for most sixes in an innings in this very WC. In a lot of ways, England winning in this manner vindicates the last 4 years of hard work and planning. When all else is equal, it was their philosophy and approach to ODI cricket that ultimately won them the game. It's the system they all bought into and stuck with, in face of all criticism and derision, that ultimately came through for them.
NZ hit more sixes though

andmark

I get complaining about dodgy rules, but to say NZ won the WC when Eoin Morgan lifted the trophy just strikes of wah. England won the WC, dodgy rules or not.

Daemon

I'm firmly in the 'those were the rules and England won' camp.

Doesn't matter how bizarre the rules are or if you disagree with them. Both sides knew the rules going in, it was a fair game, the two teams tied the match and the superover, and England won the World Cup on boundary count. Fair and square. No asterix next to this in my book.
Can people stop this both sides knew the rules going in rubbish? Woeful.

zorax

likes this
NZ hit more sixes though
So I've heard

Can people stop this both sides knew the rules going in rubbish? Woeful.
It's true tho. I'm not using it as a defence of the boundary count, but to suggest this was a fair game and England emerged victorious under the rules and conditions both teams agreed to compete under. Don't see what's wrong with that.

MrPrez

As for the outcome of the game itself, it's obvious the Kiwis can rightfully lay claim to being the true world champions. Didn't have a 50:50 call go their way all game, got the rough end of the umpiring pineapple and were undone by a violent thug who should have been watching from the common room in stir.

Then the game finishes in a tie after the umpires stuff up the number of overthrows to award. I mean, they check for a front foot no ball on a dismissal, but don't have the wherewithal to see if the batsmen satisfied the criteria for the amount of runs they awarded them at the most crucial juncture of the whole four year cycle of international ODI cricket? Woeful officiating. Likewise Taylor's dismissal. Terrible. There's no cop out in saying Guptill burned the review - the umpire's job is to get it right and Taylor's was missing by ****ing miles. Meanwhile, Dummy-spitter Roy, who should have been suspended after his outburst in the semi final, is out lbw first rock and not given, then goes on to make 20 odd in a tied game.

And England still couldn't beat them.

Well done to both teams anyway, on what is the best ODI I've ever seen, surpassing even the 1999 Aus-SA semi final. A great final which will never be topped. Fantastic tourney and well done to England on the win and a good job hosting too.

As a side note, can someone tell me what the song (if you can call it that) the soap dodgers all sing when a wicket falls or a boundary is hit? There's no words to it, it's just like an upbeat sort of riff.
Darude - Sandstorm

artvandalay

Can't be bitter when you get banged up in a semi final like Australia did. Got outplayed. Unlike NZ, who were genuinely robbed in the final. Not by anything nefarious England did (aside from Stokes, who even when he tries to be decent just can't quite manage it becasue of his very essence) but just by happenstance. I can't remember a side copping so many set backs and getting so close to a win. It was an immense performance. But I sort of knew once Djokovic beat Federer that it was going to be a night where the forces of darkness had a sporting win.
This, this and this. Felt as soon as Federer fluffed his CPs that something like this would happen.

cpr

Can all those seriously claiming a World title should be shared kindly explain just where it was your uncle touched you. Honestly buck up sunshines. Sure the 3rd distinguisher was a bit rubbish, and it was kinda unprecedented we went to that length, but it was known by all. Its like in football where the Premier League, if inseparable by points and goal difference, goes to goals scored. No ones thinking of it until game 37 if its even still in play, but its there all along

Burgey

Can all those seriously claiming a World title should be shared kindly explain just where it was your uncle touched you. Honestly buck up sunshines. Sure the 3rd distinguisher was a bit rubbish, and it was kinda unprecedented we went to that length, but it was known by all. Its like in football where the Premier League, if inseparable by points and goal difference, goes to goals scored. No ones thinking of it until game 37 if its even still in play, but its there all along
Yeah it's nothing like it at all tbh