• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Extreme deification of the armed forces..

harsh.ag

I do think that one important factor while judging the conduct of any country's armed forces should be the nature of the enemy they are fighting and the things required to be done to beat such an enemy.

Many people in the modern era seem to be undervaluing this lens.

Ausage

Yesterday an important point was raised in a tv debate. This kind of deification has led to the situation in Pakistan where Army has more powers than the government itself. Most other democracies have at least avoided that situation.
No they haven't. They've just masked it better.

Daemon

This is patently, manifestly untrue, and a really weird thing for you to say IMO.
The only ways it makes sense is if he means theoretically, if not in practice.

Most armies around the globe can stage a coup.

Would be a bit like saying China controls Singapore because they can bomb the living **** out of us any time though. Not a very useful way to attribute power.

Ausage

This is patently, manifestly untrue, and a really weird thing for you to say IMO.
The only ways it makes sense is if he means theoretically, if not in practice.

Most armies around the globe can stage a coup.

Would be a bit like saying China controls Singapore because they can bomb the living **** out of us any time though. Not a very useful way to attribute power.
I don't know if theoretical is the right term (and patently untrue certainly isn't), but at the end of the day modern Democratic governments serve at the pleasure of the men with the guns. If the army in any nation disapproves of a leader badly enough it won't be running the country. Simple as that.

Now we're lucky that we live (mostly) stable societies with little social upheaval. I'm sure many in the army buy into democracy as a system as well. But at the end of the day any state rules because its army is happy with them there and it's naive to forget that.

harsh.ag

I don't know if theoretical is the right term (and patently untrue certainly isn't), but at the end of the day modern Democratic governments serve at the pleasure of the men with the guns. If the army in any nation disapproves of a leader badly enough it won't be running the country. Simple as that.

Now we're lucky that we live (mostly) stable societies with little social upheaval. I'm sure many in the army buy into democracy as a system as well. But at the end of the day any state rules because its army is happy with them there and it's naive to forget that.
The army is not one thing. They will have many internal disagreements among the various people and divisions.

If the situation is that bad, it is as likely that the political leader(s) will first appoint a lackey/many lackeys at the highest military posts and then do whatever shenanigans they want to indulge in.

Ausage

The army is not one thing. They will have many internal disagreements among the various people and divisions.

If the situation is that bad, it is as likely that the political leader(s) will first appoint a lackey/many lackeys at the highest military posts and then do whatever shenanigans they want to indulge in.
Sure. There are different components to any group that can be fractured/isolated/weakened politically. The potential for manipulation certainly isn't one sided either.

The ultimate power resting with the men with the guns was the extent of my point though.

Spark

Global Moderator
Sure. There are different components to any group that can be fractured/isolated/weakened politically. The potential for manipulation certainly isn't one sided either.

The ultimate power resting with the men with the guns was the extent of my point though.
There's a clear qualitative difference between the influence of the army in a country like Australia and a country like Pakistan. Clearly.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's like that quote from Game of Thrones.

"Power is an illusion, or a shadow on the wall. It exists where people believe it does." Or whatever the quote actually was.

Anyway, Ausage is right in the sense that if the men with guns stop believing that you have the power, you ain't runnin' nothin'.

In most western countries it would take something pretty remarkable for that to occur though.

Ausage

There's a clear qualitative difference between the influence of the army in a country like Australia and a country like Pakistan. Clearly.
There's no functional difference in the amount of power available. They're just less inclined to use it.

I get that that's different. I just don't think it's as different as some are making out.

weldone

If the army in any nation disapproves of a leader badly enough it won't be running the country. Simple as that.
On this point, if the leader of a nation (except Pakistan) disapproves of an army-man even mildly, that man will never become army chief.

Last edited:

vcs

So the bolded is the actual problem, not the existence of the state. :ph34r:

vcs

I'd be all for it TBH.

Asking or expecting something like that to actually happen is like putting toothpaste back into the tube, though.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I'd be all for it TBH.
Right but no-one's going to pay any attention to laws written by a mob with no weapons so everyone who wants to will just have guns anyway.

"Gun control" is enforced with threats of force - guns, primarily. So there's no such thing as gun control; only gun centralisation.

vcs

Right but no-one's going to pay any attention to laws written by a mob with no weapons so everyone who wants to will just have guns anyway.

"Gun control" is enforced with threats of force - guns, primarily. So there's no such thing as gun control; only gun centralisation.
I get your point. If something results in gun centralization, that's a bad thing. I do feel it is good to discourage gun ownership by social shaming. But that's not getting it done on its own. I don't see anything wrong in putting in laws that make people jump through tighter and tighter hoops to get their hands on arms, until they eventually feel its no longer worth the bother.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I get your point. If something results in gun centralization, that's a bad thing. I do feel it is good to discourage gun ownership by social shaming. But that's not getting it done on its own. I don't see anything wrong in putting in laws that make people jump through tighter and tighter hoops to get their hands on arms, until they eventually feel its no longer worth the bother.
Laws are just threats made at the point of a gun, though. The reason most people try follow the government's laws even when they disagree with them, and wouldn't follow laws you could make up yourself and post on the internet, usually isn't because they feel it's their patriotic duty to respect the democratic process or some other type of mystical nonsense; it's because they risk men with guns coming and taking them away if they don't.