• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Final - England v West Indies (3rd April)

Who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Heboric

Yeah, bowling 4 balls that get buried isn't choking. The Billings catch was about the only example you'd find and one catch that had no impact on game is hardly choking.
I have been on this forum long enough to know if a certain team from the tip of Africa was in Englands shoes, it wouldnt be just "hard luck chaps" ....

91Jmay

Did anyone mention SA choking against Eng? I didn't see it and that was far more of a 'choke' than this.

viriya

Stokes definitely did choke in that last over. It's not like he bowled great balls and got hit for 6. He allowed Brathwaite to free his arms when his job is to stop him doing that. Eng started the over as the clear favorites as well. It was most definitely a choke.

No shame in it - almost everyone goes through a "choke" in their career.. not always in that spectacular of a situation though.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Fabulous day of cricket for me. Loved the women's final. Loved the men's final after that. Root was the highlight for me. Such copybook amazing strokeplay. Met a few legends before the game as well - Lloyd, Zaheer Abbas and Dave Richardson. Had a small conversation with Shashank Manohar as well where I congratulated him on doing a good job so far with BCCI. One of the best days. When the West Indian women won, the Champion song played and it was so nice hearing the name of all the legends. Fun, fun, fun.

flibbertyjibber

No shame in it - almost everyone goes through a "choke" in their career.. not always in that spectacular of a situation though.
They do, it is how they react the next time they are in a similar situation that defines them.

Stokes has had a wonderful few months and a good tournament up till today, just shows the game can bite anyone in the ass at any time.

Tom Flint

How many of this WI team would get in the test side, if you picked your best xi without looking to the future.
Of their potential all rounders I always thought pollard could bat at 6

Last edited:

Heboric

Did anyone mention SA choking against Eng? I didn't see it and that was far more of a 'choke' than this.
No I am saying if it was Sa vs Wi and the EXACT same scenario happened.

So going by the criteria used before, England choked.

flibbertyjibber

How many of this WI team would get in the test side, if you picked your best xi without looking to the future.
Of their potential all rounders I always thought pollard could bat at 6
Hardly any as they don't want to play.

Mercenary buggers.

Shame as they got talent.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
No I am saying if it was Sa vs Wi and the EXACT same scenario happened.

So going by the criteria used before, England choked.
So because people on a forum would've talked about choking that means it was a choke?

Tbh I hate when people go on about choking/bottling all the time. Neglects that random/luck element of sport and the fact that there's an opponent on the other side allowed to play exceptionally.

Edit: Not that choking/bottling isn't a thing. But I think proper choking means performing significantly below your usual standards, specifically because of the high pressure nature of the moment and it effecting you. Can you confidently conclude that's what happened as opposed to Braithwaite not just hitting incredibly?

Last edited:

LightningStrike

Yeah, pet hate of mine. Why on Earth any God, if one exists, would care about a sporting event and favour one side over another is beyond me.
I wonder if E Morgan is a Catholic. He didn't say it but perhaps he wanted to blame God too. As it wasn't Stoke's fault..........and I doubt he'd blame himself or any of the other players. 8-)

Heboric

So because people on a forum would've talked about choking that means it was a choke?

Tbh I hate when people go on about choking/bottling all the time. Neglects that random/luck element of sport and the fact that there's an opponent on the other side allowed to play exceptionally.

Edit: Not that choking/bottling isn't a thing. But I think proper choking means performing significantly below your usual standards, specifically because of the high pressure nature of the moment and it effecting you. Can you confidently conclude that's what happened as opposed to Braithwaite not just hitting incredibly?
Or losing it from a position of strength / more than likely winning position

Tec15

Lol at the England guys here trying to claim that it was not a choke. That was an epic choke from Ben Chokes and at the biggest possible occasion too. Hell, if a South African did what Stokes did today the crowing from the same crowd claiming "not a choke" would be utterly deafening and would last the rest of our lifetime

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
I thought the field placing of England was weird as well. All deep on legside and off side all inside the circle. Makes it easy for the batsman and difficult for the bowler a bit.