• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guy Fawkes

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
In year eight history, my teacher put an impressive pack together shedding doubt on the guilt of Guy Fawkes and the gunpowder plot.

I can’t remember any of the details or logic but it stuck with me and in 2001 I launched my first annual ‘Guy Fawkes was innocent campaign’

It was a slow start but the following year three members of the now defunct Guns N Roses forum ‘2000 intentions’ had their MSN screen name as ‘guy fawkes was innocent’

It was probably the high watermark of the campaign until 2013 when I got a shitload of Facebook likes for bringing it up

Of course as I grew older and wiser I realised that there was an issue. If he was guilty then Guy Fawkes was an instant legend, attempting to end the ability of roads ever existing in England because, well, who would build them? Also **** having a Scottish King, it was bad enough living under Gordon ****ing Brown or posting here when Furball was a mod.

I love Scotland btw. There are few better places. But you know.

Anyhow. Either he was guilty and he’s a hero or he wasn’t and he’s a martyr. Either way. No penny for the guy from me.

RIP Guido lad. Live forever

Last edited:

cpr

My primary school was called English Martyrs, and had a load of pictures/text up describing the folks who'd died for their religion in Elizabethan/Stuart England. Learning about the Catherine Wheel and crushing when you're 8 or 9 is one way to keep it with you for the rest of your life. (when everyone was crying about the gruesomeness of the first episode of Gunpowder I was asking them wtf did they expect?)

Middle Englanders have always been a bunch of intolerant racist ****s, the man did what he had to do

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Virtual history is a dangerous game, but from where they stood it’s easy to see how they felt it was going that way anyway

watson

Banned
instead a whole heap of Indigenous People around the world were wiped out
But apparently that’s now a good thing according to George Soros et al.

Which just goes to show that ethics appear to shift with the times. So what was abhorent 200 years ago is now quite trendy, hip, and groovy.

Last edited:

S.Kennedy

It was rather a ''straw man plot'' considering James I was one of the more lenient and sympathetic monarchs towards Roman Catholicism, and all it did in the end was basically confirm, for protestants, the existence of catholic plots and strengthened state laws against recusancy. It had the exact opposite effect from what it intended which was to remove penalties! The subsequent day as it is celebrated is not one I care for.

Dan

Global Moderator
Oh god not the 'supporting the free movement of people and a general sense of not-being-racist is literally 19th Century colonialism' thing again.

Daemon

But apparently that’s now a good thing according to George Soros et al.

Which just goes to show that ethics appear to shift with the times. So what was abhorent 200 years ago is now quite trendy, hip, and groovy.
Are you really comparing the actual butchering of people to the influx of chinese takeaways?

harsh.ag

Only reason anyone outside England ever got interested in Guy Fawkes was because of V for Vendetta.

Remember remember.

watson

Banned
Are you really comparing the actual butchering of people to the influx of chinese takeaways?
No definitely not. But feel free to strawman all you like.

I’m more concerned with the dismembering of the political process and the shredding of entire societies according to the will of hedge-fund managers and other billionaires like them;

George Soros rises again

The billionaire, who had dialed back his giving, has committed more than $25 million to supporting Hillary Clinton and other Democratic candidates and causes....

https://www.politico.com/story/2016/07/george-soros-democratic-convention-226267

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
Virtual history is a dangerous game, but from where they stood it’s easy to see how they felt it was going that way anyway
Had he succeeded I can't imagine you'd find enough of English Catholicism to fill a bucket once the mobs were done.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
It’s already aired, last episode I believe was on last night. I’ve only seen the first episode so far.
Give him a break GIMH, he can't handle busses so tv schedules are bound to be beyond him.

I've seen the first 2 so far and still can't work out where all the gruesome stuff that people were complaining about was meant to be, didn't seem anything too bad to me.

watson

Banned
Had he succeeded I can't imagine you'd find enough of English Catholicism to fill a bucket once the mobs were done.
It would have been an understandable mob because just 33 years previously a Catholic mob aided by a Catholic Army under Charles IX went on a rampage in Paris that massacred between 10,000 and 70,000 Calvinist Protestants. The remnants of the shattered communities eventually washed-up on the Devon coastline, and their French sounding surnames can still be found in the phonebooks of Devon today.

The ‘St Bartholomew Day Massacre’ and the ‘French Wars of Religion’ went a long way to shaping English society and made it sceptical of Catholicism as a political force. Kill or be killed was the order of the day.

400 years down the track England and France are coming full circle again except with slightly different monotheistc players. Because the more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited: