• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guy Fawkes

Spark

Global Moderator
The violence and brutality unleashed in the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in that general era was many, many orders of magnitude worse than anything you say between Christians and Muslims today. Absurd to compare the two.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
It was rather a ''straw man plot'' considering James I was one of the more lenient and sympathetic monarchs towards Roman Catholicism, and all it did in the end was basically confirm, for protestants, the existence of catholic plots and strengthened state laws against recusancy. It had the exact opposite effect from what it intended which was to remove penalties! The subsequent day as it is celebrated is not one I care for.
Hardly surprising seeing as his maw was one.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The violence and brutality unleashed in the conflict between Catholics and Protestants in that general era was many, many orders of magnitude worse than anything you say between Christians and Muslims today. Absurd to compare the two.
Was way worse in countries where the Protestant church was actually reformed and not the sorry excuse for a church they have in England.

Spark

Global Moderator
Was way worse in countries where the Protestant church was actually reformed and not the sorry excuse for a church they have in England.
The HRE wasn't the only place where such churches took root though.

MW1304

It’s already aired, last episode I believe was on last night. I’ve only seen the first episode so far.
Even though it aired week to week, for some reason the BBC released them all on iPlayer straight away so I watched them in a couple of days.

That first episode is the best tbh. The actual plot is really underwhelming and they forgot to give the characters any character.

vogue

Even though it aired week to week, for some reason the BBC released them all on iPlayer straight away so I watched them in a couple of days.

That first episode is the best tbh. The actual plot is really underwhelming and they forgot to give the characters any character.
^ This. Only watched due to Kit Harington being in it. Not riveting in any way.

S.Kennedy

Had he succeeded I can't imagine you'd find enough of English Catholicism to fill a bucket once the mobs were done.
Not if they had completely succeeded. If they had completely succeeded then they would have kidnapped and installed the nine year old Princess Elizabeth on the throne and put in place an amiable regency under Percy the Earl of Northumberland, a crypto-Catholic. You have to also remember that around twenty percent of England were still Catholics (recusants) including some of the leading nobles, and a great deal more were Catholic in sympathies but had resigned themselves to the official church in order to avoid the penalties. Strident anti-Catholicism largely emanated from puritanical circles which probably only consisted of around ten percent of the population - Scotland was far more thoroughly 'reformed' than England.

Last edited:

cpr

The final episode also forgot about actual history too.

Honestly don't get Kit Harrington as an actor. Sounds like he's delivering his lines whilst trying to hold back a big poo. Infact beyond Gatiss and Dooley, the acting was pretty poor (standard fare for a big BBC production nowadays I find). Kind of found myself forgetting I was Catholic and rooting for those two...

Adders

Not if they had completely succeeded. If they had completely succeeded then they would have kidnapped and installed the nine year old Princess Elizabeth on the throne and put in place an amiable regency under Percy the Earl of Northumberland, a crypto-Catholic. You have to also remember that around twenty percent of England were still Catholics (recusants) including some of the leading nobles, and a great deal more were Catholic in sympathies but had resigned themselves to the official church in order to avoid the penalties. Strident anti-Catholicism largely emanated from puritanical circles which probably only consisted of around ten percent of the population - Scotland was far more thoroughly 'reformed' than England.
This has got to be a wind up surely??

Adders

How the **** do manage to bring up the North East of England in a Guy Fawkes thread? It's almost impressive how you can do this.

S.Kennedy

How the **** do manage to bring up the North East of England in a Guy Fawkes thread? It's almost impressive how you can do this.
Well I don't know if Percy was a Durham fan if that is what you are getting at? He'd have presumably supported Northumberland in the minor counties.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I will be bumping this thread yearly to remind you all that Bonfire Night is a disgrace.

RIP Guido.

andmark

All I know is that dogs hate it. And who can blame them? It's the only time of the year when the UK sounds like a war zone, except if one lives in St Helens in which case it's a daily occurrence.

Bahnz

Serious fires down in the Otago region this weekend thanks to our annual tradition of getting pissed up and setting off cardboard rockets during the windiest time of the year. Really wish the nanny-state would get its act together and just ban fireworks already.

Last edited: