• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Guy Fawkes

Flem274*

123/5
private sales of fireworks are ****ing stupid. proof of the idiocy of #freedom

vets will be raking it in this week

Spark

Global Moderator
Canberra used to have legal fireworks (only place in the country) until fairly recently. People showed their appreciation and demonstrated a sense of responsibility by blowing up lots of letterboxes.

Ausage

Canberra used to have legal fireworks (only place in the country) until fairly recently. People showed their appreciation and demonstrated a sense of responsibility by blowing up lots of letterboxes.
You never needed legal fireworks to do that.

Or so I've heard :ph34r:

wpdavid

private sales of fireworks are ****ing stupid. proof of the idiocy of #freedom
Too right. In fact I'm not sure I've seen a post with which I agree more strongly in all my time on CW.

And it's not just about pets, either. If either of my kids ever gets hurt by this sort of stupidity, I'll personally be burning down Parliament for allowing people to buy these things.

flibbertyjibber

Best part of being on holiday in Portugal last week was one week less of feeling like I was getting shelled every few minutes. I swear they are getting louder every year, shouldn't be on general sale and should only be available at organised displays. Just glad the new dog we have doesn't give a ****. Just been out in garden with him and he never flinched even when one went off a few doors away.

Flem274*

123/5
i know my facebook is pretty rurally oriented but my feed right now is just pictures of pets and farm animals getting ****ed up by fireworks. not just physical injuries but dying of stress and even a foal aborted in the womb due to stress.

if you're going to insist on your right to play with explosives then you should be prepared to pay for the damage you cause.

StephenZA

if you're going to insist on your right to play with explosives then you should be prepared to pay for the damage you cause.
Having consequences for actions, what a laugh.....

The idea nowadays of 'celebrating' guy fawkes is about as meaningful as halloween.... absolutely pointless. If you want a booze up have a booze up, just don't knock on my door or blow **** up.

cpr

caught about 4 seconds of the one show yesterday, with Gabby Logan saying to Boris Becker 'you don't celebrate bonfire night in Germany do you?'

That's your licence fee right there folks.

Ausage

i know my facebook is pretty rurally oriented but my feed right now is just pictures of pets and farm animals getting ****ed up by fireworks. not just physical injuries but dying of stress and even a foal aborted in the womb due to stress.

if you're going to insist on your right to play with explosives then you should be prepared to pay for the damage you cause
FWIW I don't disagree with this.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
And to think, none of this would happen if he’d blown up the bastard commons like he allegedly wanted to

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Was having a discussion about fireworks last night with my s/o. I posed the question "if fireworks made no noise would they still be as magical as you say they are?" She ultimately concluded yes as it's about the visuals for her, but I wonder if you were to have silent fireworks as a way to get around the PTSD and animals issue would people accept it or are the loud bangs part of the fun for most people?

Ausage

Was having a discussion about fireworks last night with my s/o. I posed the question "if fireworks made no noise would they still be as magical as you say they are?" She ultimately concluded yes as it's about the visuals for her, but I wonder if you were to have silent fireworks as a way to get around the PTSD and animals issue would people accept it or are the loud bangs part of the fun for most people?
Is that even possible?

Victor Ian

Future Fireworks invention.

Fireworks consist of a few hundred mini drones that hover in one spot then zoom off in all directions flashing bright led lights. They can be used over and over again.

Those who want the bang tune in using an apple or android app with their headphones.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Future Fireworks invention.

Fireworks consist of a few hundred mini drones that hover in one spot then zoom off in all directions flashing bright led lights. They can be used over and over again.

Those who want the bang tune in using an apple or android app with their headphones.
I see that you’ve watched the South Korean winter Olympics opening ceremony.

Bijed

Is that even possible?
You get the ones which make a bit of a crackling sound when they're launched but then explode silently (or more likely just very quietly and the sound doesn't carry, I guess). Only pretty small ones, though.

For me, the sounds are as important a part of the experience as the visuals, but in recent years as I've come to appreciate the stress they can cause people and animals, I certainly wouldn't be against fireworks becoming visual only.