• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you ever punched back or needed to punch back?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Concrete examples are welcome.

I'd rather not have the ethics debate of when you have the right to "punch back" in this particular thread. Just describe what provoked you.

For the record, no (I have attacked a family member once on verbal provocation, but looking back I can't justify it on self-defence grounds).

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I had a fist fight with my cousin when I was about twelve, but I can't remember who started it so I'm not sure if I punched back or if I just punched him.

Aside from that, no.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I threw a couple in a rugby league melee once too but I don't really think that counts, even though it was definitely punching back in my case.

fredfertang

Only fight I ever had was when I was 14 - finally came to accept I had to stand up to a lad who had been bullying me - I knocked him down (didn't hit him that hard but he wasn't expecting it as I'd been sucking it up for months) and felt what remains the most incredible adrenalin rush I've ever had in my life - knee jerk reaction was to follow him down, one knee in the pit of his stomach, left hand hard on his throat and right fist clenched and held above his face and me screaming at him "Are you going to ****ing leave me alone now?", which brought a whimpered confirmation with which I got up and walked off - felt about 9 feet tall - he was fine after that, and although I never said anything he never (to my knowledge) bullied anyone else either

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I'm from Birkenhead, what do you reckon? :ph34r:

I can think of six fights. Three were in school and I lost them all (didn't start any of them).

One I was arguing with a mate in the city centre when pissed and a local scally thought I shouted at him so he clocked me, I swung back though in my state made little contact

One was a family dispute (all males)

One I started, a lad who had slept with my ex before she was my ex had decided to start making comments about having done so. I was walking around a rock club in a drunken state (probably looking to score chix tbh) and saw him. He had drove past a mate of mine earlier that day and said 'Tell GIMH I said Hi' and winked. I walked towards him with the intention of saying 'I believe you said Hi' and then found myself throwing a punch. Foolish idea; my mates were all a floor down, and he was surrounded by his. You can figure how it ended. Not proud of having started it, but hey ho, we live and learn.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I still have the scars on my right knuckles from where I smacked the Newmarket RFC hooker in the mush.

Someone (possibly him) had grabbed hold of my cobblers (I was still playing lock at the time, so I think I'd have been 19 or 20) & I was rather annoyed by this invasion so, with my blood up, I punched the nearest member of the oppo when the scrum broke, which happened to be the said rake.

I laid him out flat (which is immeasurably satisfying) but badly cut the knuckles of my two middle fingers in the process.

It hurt like hell too; I'm sure more experienced pugilists have a technique for minimising the damage caused to one's fist, but, as in so many spheres of human activity, my enthusiasm exceeded my ability.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Drunken Russian bloke gave me a torrent of vile abuse at uni once. Smashed his head into a wall, never spoke to me again. The only time in my life when I have really really lost my temper.

Scaly piscine

I was about 14-15 when someone being an arsehole took it too far, my mates were elsewhere and he was jabbing me in the back or something while I was sat down in a classroom (tutor stuff, not a proper lesson). He had a couple of warnings then I turned round swinging, punched him in the gut and he flew a 10 feet sliding across the table. He was much bigger and fatter than me (I was short and skinny back then, asthma and a birthday late in the school year meant I was a bit behind on the whole growing thing). He got me in a headlock and jabbed me a few times, then finally reacted, got out of it and I think I punched him, might have just glanced him, don't know as I couldn't feel much at the time. Just as I was moving forward and him backward the teacher interrupted it. Back then I kinda froze/hesitated initially after throwing the first punch. But don't think I would do now.

He was still winded about 10-20 minutes later. Always wondered what would have happened if I'd had another few seconds. Oh well. He didn't bother me again which was the main thing.

Lillian Thomson

A boy three years younger than me picked a fight and I gave him a hiding purely because I was bigger and stronger than he was at that age. As adults he became about 6 inches taller than me and a body builder. He moved in just around the corner a couple of years ago but hasn't yet asked for a rematch - probably knows I'd still take him to the cleaners. :fear:

Justo

I got into a fight in school when I was in grade 12 (so 12 years ago). This kid and a large group of his friends who were 3 years below us one day just randomly started talking **** to us at lunch. My group and I replied as you do and they seemingly moved on. As lunch ended most of my group went off to class leaving me and just 1 of my friends (we weren't phased being late to class).

As we start heading off to class their group are coming through and the loudest of them restarts things (they have approx. 15 people to just us). My friend and I just try to ignore and walk to class but he gets in my way and starts pushing me. After the third time I push him back and then he comes back at me with a solid punch to the head. I don't remember much of the actual fight but I do remember the look on his face after he threw the punch (absolute horror/fear) as I went completely beserk after that.

I don't remember any specifics of the fight besides that and the massive surge of adrenaline. According to my friend and my bloody knuckles I came out well on top though (friend told me he had a busted lip). Pretty sure he only got the initial hit on me which I didn't even feel with all the adrenaline.

The guy and his group stayed clear from my area from that point onwards.

Edit: The fight only stopped because someone shouted that the principal was coming.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

So apparently everyone on CW is a ****ing tough guy who's never lost a fight and always lay the bully out in the end. Bunch of pathetic liars.

I was an arrogant prat in high school and I stupidly talked smack to one of the biggest and strongest guys in my class. He clocked me in the mouth, I hit him back pretty hard but I comprehensively lost because I burst into tears when I realized I'd lost a tooth.

hendrix

In high school I got punched a few times but I sorta tend to just freeze up. I do get the adrenaline rush that makes nothing hurt. One time the dude hooked me 3 times in the head and I just stood there staring at him. I don't know whether I looked tough or just stupid; I wasn't trying to be tough, I just didn't know what to do.

When I was 18 I had one drunken bar fight in town where I was being a white knight after some guy called a girl a slut or something. A bit stupid. Ended up in hospital with stitches on my face. I'm still pretty though.

Lillian Thomson

So apparently everyone on CW is a ****ing tough guy who's never lost a fight and always lay the bully out in the end. Bunch of pathetic liars.
As I read it the purpose of the thread was that sort of story where you hit back and prevailed. If you hit back and then needed six months in hospital that's surely a different thread.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I might as well expound on my own story to make this less of a 'tough guy beats on people who they think are stronger but actually aren't'.

Short story: We were at a party and my grandad refused to go into a taxi to get him home. Eventually I shoved him into the car because he was verbally abusing all of his children and grandchildren.

MW1304

Yeah I was at this pub in London, me and a bunch of my very best mates were over here on a work trip from Australia, when one of the blokes from the England setup, who we had a meeting with in a few weeks, decided to be a real meanie. He came up to us with a green and gold wig, removed it from his head, and put it on his chin like it was a beard! He said 'look who I am, it's arguably South Africa's best Test batsman Hashim Amla, look at my green and gold beard hahaha'. I mean what was I supposed to do? I was greatly offended on behalf of this Muslim bloke what I know. So I swung at the bugger.

Unfortunately I missed and got banned from the next two meetings. I reckon if I'd clocked him they would have been impressed and let me go so it was disappointing.