• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Have you ever punched back or needed to punch back?

cpr

Only time I did was at school, where my mate (who was an absolute gobshite despite being one of the weakest people there) had decided to talk himself into a rage and started swinging at some lad who decided he'd lay him out (again...). Jumped in to drag my mate away from the inevitable beating, so he turned and started trying to hit me (I was probably more his level, always have been one to avoid fights because I'm a ****house). He ended up getting the beating off me.

Truth is, I've very rarely fought in my life. I'd probably be more up for going in swinging now than when I was a hormone fuelled teenager, mainly because I believe I could handle myself far better nowadays. Though I'd fight dirty as ****)

Son Of Coco

The only fight I've ever had was in 3rd grade at primary school. It was pretty well organised - down the back of the oval where there were wooden bench seats that formed a ring, we had an announcer, and there was some random guy in a red and white striped shirt selling buttered popcorn. When it was all done and dusted, nobody had landed a punch. I put it down to the fact that I stung like a butterfly and floated like a bee, but it might have just been fear.

Regardless of the result of this bout, I was never challenged again.

Daemon

oooh, just remembered this incident where I got punched and just stood there fuming after that but was too much of a wuss to do anything. It was back in primary school over yugioh cards. Good times.

StephenZA

I`ve had one fight at primary school... kid grabbed me from behind after I said something about his intelligence and possibly the manner in which he had been born. I grabbed for his hand that was around my neck region and 'áccidentally' broke his finger... got a talking to over that one. Otherwise no fights... I`m a relatively inoffensive nerd that at 6.4" most people could not be bothered...

Burner

In 9th grade I got my ass beat by an angry kid. Caught me completely by surprise. He was basically angry at my friend and then punched me because my friend was unavailable and because I might have told the teach that he was coming to our class looking for a fight. Looking back it was probably a very small light punching bout with punches only going in one direction but my memory of it was like the first fight from 'Never back down' where the hero gets his ass handed to him. Unfortunately for me there was no comeback revenge fight.

I only had a slightly swollen lip thanks to the fight, so un-noticeable that my own mother barely noticed anything different to my face but the fight bothered me. Wouldn't have bothered me as much if I was able to throw some back as well. In the aftermath I joined a karate class and got myself a white belt. After a month I quit Karate because my trainer insisted that I scream 'HYEAH!!' everytime I threw a punch. Cool guys don't do that. 1 in 4 people still give me respect when I tell them that I am a karate white belt though.

flibbertyjibber

Only situation it has arisen was when I was with 2 mates one of which was a footballer and he was a bit pissed. A group of lads from another town came over and swung a punch at him but missed, he turned and ran, my other mate took a glancing blow to his shoulder and ran so I ran too as 6 v 1 wasn't a good option.Luckily we lost them in some back streets but the funny bit was the footballer had a 20 yard head start on me and I shot past him in no time at all, never run so fast in my life. We later found out it was the boyfriend of a bird the footballer was shagging and his mates. Oh to be young again with free tickets to the match and a good piss up on Saturday and Sunday nights.

Ikki

Lots of times when I was a kid. I was a bit of a bully when I was really young and then more of a defender when I was in high school. I kind of lost one fight because I slipped on ice and the other guy just basically sat on top of me until the PE teacher came. Otherwise, nah, I was always much stronger than the other guy and it was always over pretty quickly. I was always with my cousins or my close friends (at the time, most of them aren't close anymore as some of them really went into life of crime) so people didn't **** with us anyway.

mr_mister

when I was 22 and living in Glebe a bunch of aboriginals we didn't know entered our backyard (through a door that leads to an alley) and refused to leave our small little 15 person get together. They were looking for trouble. One of them started hitting one of my friends (my friend said "leave", he said "whos gonna make me" and then my friend said "who made you come" and everyone laughed which I guess embarrassed him) and it was on.

and for the first time in my life i threw some punchs at someone, but felt so weird doing it. Like I wasn't angry or rage filled I just wanted to situation to quickly stop. It was only a few to the body not the face but it was hard and I "won" my little scuffle with it. one of my friends got really hurt and eventually more of the aboriginal's friends came round with small metal poles and knocked in out patio heater which they could access from over the fence and yeah was a scary night. I went to the police station after itand they got arrested later that evening(were roaming the streets covered in blood with their shirts off so were easily found)

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
when I was 22 and living in Glebe a bunch of aboriginals we didn't know entered our backyard (through a door that leads to an alley) and refused to leave our small little 15 person get together. They were looking for trouble. One of them started hitting one of my friends (my friend said "leave", he said "whos gonna make me" and then my friend said "who made you come" and everyone laughed which I guess embarrassed him) and it was on.

and for the first time in my life i threw some punchs at someone, but felt so weird doing it. Like I wasn't angry or rage filled I just wanted to situation to quickly stop. It was only a few to the body not the face but it was hard and I "won" my little scuffle with it. one of my friends got really hurt and eventually more of the aboriginal's friends came round with small metal poles and knocked in out patio heater which they could access from over the fence and yeah was a scary night. I went to the police station after itand they got arrested later that evening(were roaming the streets covered in blood with their shirts off so were easily found)
Um, why did you need to specify and emphasise the ethnic origins of the people you punched?...

mr_mister

Because it's crucial to the story. There was a huge amount of racial tension in the air, completely unspoken of course but it was there. It was 10 white friends fighting 10 black friends. Would have looked so bad to anyone watching.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Doesn't seem crucial to the story. Would've been just the same if it was a bunch of people you didn't know.

mr_mister

Well it's a detail that's important to me. I felt a lot worse about being in the situation because of it. "I'm literally about to punch an aboriginal" is an uneasy feeling for a white australian. If it came across as in poor taste during my first post that was it being 2.am and the emotions I still have attached to the event talking.

I don't know to explain it but the fact the two groups of people fighting were of different races definitely added a horrible element to the whole thing. Glebe is in interesting suburb, has a large aboriginal population(every other house is housing commission) but also a large whitebread student hispter population(which I guess I reluctantly admit included me) every adjacent house. Tensions exist

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, even if that's the case, is it really appropriate to refer to these people as "aborignals"? Genuinely asking, because it sounds somewhat demeaning.

I mean, if someone else were to make a post like yours, but use the word "blacks" instead, that would definitely not be ok.

mr_mister

maybe aboriginal people is less offensive? Either way it's more specific than "blacks" so I'd say it's not quite as like, demeaning because of that. Do you say Chinese or Chinese people?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Never really. Probably some times that I could have but I just don't have the penchant for it.

One time a mate slugged me across the face as hard as he could when he was blind, and I just shrugged my shoulders and ordered another beer for us both. Everyone told me that I should make a deal of it, but just couldn't work out how it was worth it.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Well, I'd only ever say "The Chinese" if I was referring to the entire race of people. Otherwise never.

Gnske

Um, why did you need to specify and emphasise the ethnic origins of the people you punched?...
Whats wrong? Don't like Aboriginal people? Can't handle when someone goes into detail in a story and you get triggered by the most prosaic of details?

Back to tumblr

Well, I'd only ever say "The Chinese" if I was referring to the entire race of people. Otherwise never.
Racist, they are not a homogeneous group you festering bigoted pleb.

Last edited:

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Whats wrong? Don't like Aboriginal people? Can't handle when someone goes into detail in a story and you get triggered by the most prosaic of details?

Back to tumblr

Racist, they are not a homogeneous group you festering bigoted pleb.

Grumpy

Apart from Mr's story, most of these are are school anecdotes.

What a waste of time reading this.