• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

India Vs England - What a Pathetic Performance by Dhoni

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
That's a defamatory OP isn't it sledger?
Difficult to say. The quality of the prose is decidedly problematic. Can't fault the sentiment though. Disappointing not to see the word "buffoon" included, but I suppose we can't have everything.

cpr

Yeah, how dare he not be at the crease in the last 15 overs when the RR shifts up a gear, such a selfish ****

stephen

Looking at the scorecard, what was wrong with Dhoni's innings? SR of 135 isn't terrible at all.

Attitude

Yes that was baffling to say the least. I think the ONLY explanation I could think of was that India (or Dhoni) said, that they are losing this one so better to get as close to the total as they could so that the NRR is barely dented.

I would say it wasn't the worst strategy in the world.

TheJediBrah

Looking at the scorecard, what was wrong with Dhoni's innings? SR of 135 isn't terrible at all.
Apparently he was just working the ball around and not really going for the big shots in the last few overs when the game was there for the taking. Seems to me that it's not just him and Jadhav (12 off 13) at the end, even Rohit and Kohli were slower than they'd usually be. I genuinely don't know if they were going for the win.

mr_mister

I knew it'd look better on the scorecard than it did in reality ha. He got a few boundaries late to make his SR look respectable, but for the 4-5 overs before the final one India needed well, 10+ every over(which kept escalating obviously) and he was nudging balls and playing soft shots.

Daemon

Apparently he was just working the ball around and not really going for the big shots in the last few overs when the game was there for the taking. Seems to me that it's not just him and Jadhav (12 off 13) at the end, even Rohit and Kohli were slower than they'd usually be. I genuinely don't know if they were going for the win.
Rohit and Kohli knew if they got out it was over. They were slow but at the very least we all knew they could catch up at the end. They left us with 186 off 20 which isn’t impossible. The plan still made sense even if they didn’t see it through and could have batted better.

Dhoni and Jadhav played low risk shots and while they did try a few wild slogs they were few and far between, with the bulk of their innings just being singles and doubles which England were happy to concede. You have to watch the innings to fully appreciate the foulness of it all.

Last edited:

Burgey

Doesn't the result last night now make it more likely India (2nd) will meet England (3rd) in the semi final? I can see England doing a number on NZ, but if they do, won't Pakistan need to win by some ridiculous margin to get ahead of the Kiwis on NRR?

For a tournament which was meant to have a heap of dead rubbers this week, there are suddenly quite a few permutations about the place.

mr_mister

The funniest part was in the final over when they needed well over 36, he hit the first ball for six then declined a single on the second ball - i suppose so he could sock a few meaningless dingers for his diehard fans?

jimmy101

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it could very well be a case of India purposely batting slowly to deny Pakistan a spot in the semis.

Not unheard of, IIRC Australia purposefully batted slowly against WI in the 1999 World Cup to try & stop NZ from reaching the Super Sixes. Though, to be fair, Australia still managed to actually bring home the bacon in that match.

mr_mister

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks it could very well be a case of India purposely batting slowly to deny Pakistan a spot in the semis.

Not unheard of, IIRC Australia purposefully batted slowly against WI in the 1999 World Cup to try & stop NZ from reaching the Super Sixes. Though, to be fair, Australia still managed to actually bring home the bacon in that match.

that was to bring forward 2 points to the Super Six Stage (since they didn't beat NZ but were about to beat WI)

This would be a little harder to understand... I know Pakistan are playing with 'passion' but India have never lost to them in WCs and demolished them a week ago lol.

sumantra

Does the Dhoni/Jadav batting yesterday remind anyone of that Mongia/Prabhakar saga? Somewhere in the mid 90's, and the match was played in India for sure...can't remember the opposition...was it the West Indies? Any other detail about that match if any of you remember...