• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

London Bridge and Borough Market attack

Agent Nationaux

The police response has been amazing. Really proud of what they did to tackle the situation.

I have lived in London for the last 4 years and have come to really love the city. Personally no other place on earth comes close to London and then to see this happen breaks my heart and makes me so angry. :(

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Trump is a ****ing scumbag.

Exactly the same happened in the US, we just won't call that terrorism because it was a white Christian who did it.

Top_Cat

The 8 minute response is insanely good. I assumed they either already had members in the area or eyes on these pricks. It's really unusual.

Shoot to end the conflict as soon as possible would be the better desciption, however it is the assessment of the situation and who makes that decision which changes, ... when armed police are called in to a situation in the UK, it is because they believe the lives of public and police are in direct danger. If having assessed the situation those police believe that they need to shoot then they will. Armed police in the UK are more like SWAT (or special service training) in America, where they have had training to deal with extreme circumstances. One of the biggest reasons that the 'normal' police in America end up in trouble is they have actually not been trained sufficiently to handle situation and determine circumstances, but are taught to err on the side of protect yourself first... i.e. shoot first if you feel threatened. Often this saves police lives but also causes unnecessary deaths. NY police and some of the biggest cities are the contradictions to this, because like London police are highly trained individuals. But this is a whole other discussion....
Anecdotally, don't think this holds. Depending on the state, you have wildly differing levels of training, weaponry, allowable responses and, of course, gun laws. The shoot-first types get the press, of course, but in general, my understanding was that the rank-and-file members in big cities are pretty well trained. That said, my own dealings with UK coppers, really impressive.

Last edited:

hendrix

Exactly the same happened in the US, we just won't call that terrorism because it was a white Christian who did it.
I agree that Trump's tweets are stupid but it's not exactly the same thing is it?

ISIL has claimed responsibility and at the lowest level of direction their social media prompted the attack, and higher up there may have been more direct involvement in planning etc.

_Ed_

No idea why Trump decided to bring up gun control in his tweets. Irrelevant and inappropriate.

Gnske

If only the white christians would amp up their terrorism game so it's ambiguous just for once in the future.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I agree that Trump's tweets are stupid but it's not exactly the same thing is it?

ISIL has claimed responsibility and at the lowest level of direction their social media prompted the attack, and higher up there may have been more direct involvement in planning etc.
Trump should worry about his own domestic terrorism problem instead of spouting shite on Twitter.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
As much as Piers Morgan is detestable, he's not a 'got to cheer for the team' guy. Has his views and runs with them. Laid into Corbyn on friday and May yesterday.

_Ed_

So Trump had another crack at Sadiq Khan today. Apparently it's only unfair to criticise someone for an out-of-context quote when he's the victim.

Daemon

It's kinda sad that I now think 'ugh another person complaining about Trump' instead of actually hating on the latest deplorable thing he's done.

Burgey

All getting a bit desperate now with both sides in the election accusing the other of playing politics with this. TBF they all do it, just not as overtly as they do a few days out from an election.

Ausage

Politicians playing politics with an issue by accusing the other side of playing politics with it is one of the more amusing ironies of the big game.

Burgey

I think the worst of all the politicking over it has been by Trump though, not so much the linking to the supposed need for a travel ban, but the attack on Sadiq Khan, which was just out of bloody nowhere and really screw-loose stuff even for him.