• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

London Bridge and Borough Market attack

Ausage

I think the worst of all the politicking over it has been by Trump though, not so much the linking to the supposed need for a travel ban, but the attack on Sadiq Khan, which was just out of bloody nowhere and really screw-loose stuff even for him.
Wasn't it just a rewording of one of the talking points on Fox & Friends the night before?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Was a little too close to comfort to this the other night. Had been in the close vicinity to the incident a few hours previous. Still feeling a bit numbed by it.

Niall

Very important twitter posts here.

https://twitter.com/mrjammyjamjar3/status/871829837262061568

I at the time like many celebrated Anjem getting put away, but like many sane people thought the media were a disgrace as they lapped him up for years. His constant exposure was not just dangerous for the muslim community, it was also cat nip for the far right. He should have been a nobody, but the UK will feel the affects of the undeserved platform they gave him for years. ****s.

Oh and it wasn't just right wing sides who were obsessed with him, seen plenty of lefty sites host him.:@

Last edited:

Gnske

"I know this keeps happening, but trust me, it's literally everyone else's fault": the tweets.

If you want to portray the young Muslim male demographic in a positive light, showing them as weak-willed and literally unable to help themselves when they have to walk by a guy outside a Mosque rather than use their brains to ascertain that stabbing is not good, is not the way to go about it.
If they're kicking him out of the Mosque, I would presume by extension that they're actively telling these young lads that he's a crazy preacher, so they know when he pops up on the news he's a literal nobody and the media are fake news. If that's the case so I can give the benefit of the doubt here. Then the faith ain't so strong in my eyes if BBC1 is still easily able to subvert the faith with putting a chap known as a crazy lunatic to presumably all Muslims in Britain on screens and still manage to get young blokes hook-line and sinker.

I have no doubt the media have a role, but just for once when this happens I'd like to see some self-reflection inwards to the nature of the faith and some things that may or may not be believed that produce this consistent pattern of results.

I blame Rosa Luxemburg for Hitler, not Leni Riefenstahl. Watson knows what I mean.

Last edited:

hendrix

I have no doubt the media have a role, but just for once when this happens I'd like to see some self-reflection inwards to the nature of the faith and some things that may or may not be believed that produce this consistent pattern of results.
Try visiting literally any mosque in the world after a terrorist attack and get back to me, k?

GirtBySea

The news coverage in Australia on the news channels was extremely poor considering it was on non-stop all day. I spoke to my uncle on facebook, who was okay in the end, and he says he didn't know too much about it either until the UK news knew what happened. As opposed to the speculative 5+ hour vagueness that occurred in Australia.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
To be fair, to some extent this was true re: the UK coverage as well (and probably other coverage elsewhere). The problem with 24hr news coverage is that when there is no conclusive "news", you inevitably get a load of padding and people talking endlessly around the relevant issues rather than reporting on the actual issues themselves. Nature of the beast.

straw man

Of course it is, I just found it particularly relate-able having a family full of girls, many of whom have or will do the pilgrimage to the UK, like myself and my brother too, how it's an exciting and optimistic thing to do and so when reading their stories, all too easy to feel how their families might feel. While I can think and believe something Peter Singer-like that all suffering is equal, emotional proximity is also a thing.

Burgey

Yeah, have to say I'm a bit nervy about Burgeinho's upcoming tour of the UK. Organisers are looking into alternative accommodation slightly out of town rather than in central London, which is a shame for them.

They're a great bunch of kids but they have absolutely no situational awareness. Can feel a pretty serious chat coming on this weekend