• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Now that Burgey is ok....

Status
Not open for further replies.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I don’t think I’ve ever said anything other than India got some shockers in that test, but the enduring memory of it is they behaved like petulant and selectively deaf children. Particularly Kumble and Tendulkar. You can tell they both learned the art of the victim complex at the knee of Gavaskar, himself a horrible, racist arsehole full of double standards, who whinged about the brown man getting the rough end of the deal in that game, having himself called black men monkeys.

At the end of the day, they lost three wickets in the last over to michael clarke to lose it. And it couldn’t have happened to a better bunch of blokes.
Did he actually do this? I had no idea he was a racist. Must be deeply shameful for people from India. An absolute icon of a nation, who dislikes people because of the colour of their skin. Horrible stuff.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Oh well, perhaps Burgey can clarify then. As I say, I did not realise Gavaskar was a racist until now, but it sounds very damning from what Burgey has said.

Burgey

He literally wrote it in an autobiography in the late 70s/ 80s. He literally wrote the words himself. It doesn’t get any clearer than that

““To call the crowd a 'crowd' in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a 'mob'. Their partisan attitude was even more evident when they did not applaud any shots we played. They were stamping their legs, clapping and jumping with joy. The only word I can think of to describe the behaviour of the crowd is 'barbarian'. The spectators, to put it mildly, were positively inhuman.” To put it mildly, Mr. Gavaskar? Don’t think so. To accuse a large number of people ‘inhuman’ is not mild by any stretch of the imagination.

Later on in the book in a remark nothing short of racist he asked that the West Indian people should go back to jungle and swing from trees. These days many have suffered much more for saying much less offensive stuff.”

Disgusting human. Plays the race card at the drop of a hat, yet sprouts this garbage too.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
He literally wrote it in an autobiography in the late 70s/ 80s. He literally wrote the words himself. It doesn’t get any clearer than that

““To call the crowd a 'crowd' in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a 'mob'. Their partisan attitude was even more evident when they did not applaud any shots we played. They were stamping their legs, clapping and jumping with joy. The only word I can think of to describe the behaviour of the crowd is 'barbarian'. The spectators, to put it mildly, were positively inhuman.” To put it mildly, Mr. Gavaskar? Don’t think so. To accuse a large number of people ‘inhuman’ is not mild by any stretch of the imagination.

Later on in the book in a remark nothing short of racist he asked that the West Indian people should go back to jungle and swing from trees. These days many have suffered much more for saying much less offensive stuff.”

Disgusting human. Plays the race card at the drop of a hat, yet sprouts this garbage too.
Right, thanks for clearing that up. So HB was wrong after all, and Sunil G is a racist. ITSTL.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
It's really disappointing to learn of things like this tbh. I mean, this is a player who is regarded as one of the best ever, and someone I have always looked up to and admired. But I just don't think I can do that now that I know he is a racist. Tarnished everything I knew about him really,

Daemon

To call the crowd a ‘crowd’ in Jamaica is a misnomer. It should be called a ‘mob’. The way they shrieked and howled every time Holding bowled was positively horrible. They encouraged him with shouts of ‘Kill him, Maaaan!’ ‘Hit ‘im Maan!’, ‘Knock his head off Mike!’ All this proved beyond a shadow of doubt that these people still belonged to the jungles and forests, instead of a civilised country….

This response, remember, was not expressed in the heat of battle. This was what Gavaskar came up with after he had much time to reflect and many in the West Indies did not appreciate the sentiments expressed by the great batsman.
These comments were really quite disgusting. I have no doubt he doesn't harbour such feelings these days but...ew.

Should really stop calling it the Border-Gavaskar trophy, since both men were clearly racists back in the day.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
These comments were really quite disgusting. I have no doubt he doesn't harbour such feelings these days but...ew.

Should really stop calling it the Border-Gavaskar trophy, since both men were clearly racists back in the day.
Can one ever stop being a racist though?

I mean, I am guessing Gavaskgar has tried to distance himself from these comments in recent years, but you do have to wonder... I'm going to take everything he says with a pinch of salt from now on. I mean, how can you trust the word of a racist? It just does not make any sense to me.

Good point about renaming the trophy though. I think I would have to agree with you now that I have learned the truth about him.

duffer

I always thought him a bit insufferable but those comments are vile.

Makes me wonder why so many of his Caribbean contemporaries (Bish, Viv etc) kiss his are so much?

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
I always thought him a bit insufferable but those comments are vile.

Makes me wonder why so many of his Caribbean contemporaries (Bish, Viv etc) kiss his are so much?
To show they are above his low-grade views and disposition imo. Taking the high ground. Showing that it's possible to combat racism without stooping to the levels of those who perpetuate it.

duffer

To show they are above his low-grade views and disposition imo. Taking the high ground. Showing that it's possible to combat racism without stooping to the levels of those who perpetuate it.
Possibly. I find it almost as puzzling as how Dean Jones managed to land so many coaching and media gigs in Pakistan (after he called Hashim Amla a terrorist).

Some people just rise above it I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.