• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** 1st Test at The Gabba

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Langer
Bell
Ponting (C)
Collingwood
Hussey
Pietersen
Jones (wk)
Flintoff
Clark
Warne
McGrath

:thumbsup:

Everyone going wayyyyyyyy over the top with the Bell love.

One 50 on a road, in which he should have been given out plumb LBW on about 0, to go with his other duck and everyone's got a hard on for him.

Laughable.

Matteh

BingLeeElectric said:

One 50 on a road, in which he should have been given out plumb LBW on about 0, to go with his other duck and everyone's got a hard on for him.

Laughable.
It's the manner in which he played, that he kept his head whilst everyone around him was losing theirs.

Turbinator

TBH even though this match was pretty one sided, I enjoyed it, and TBH the first Ashes match I actually watched and kept up with. Even as a neutral fan, I had fun watching it, mainly because of the hype and atmosphere.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
BingLeeElectric said:

Laughable.
17 posts and you`re already running the show. Shut up a bit.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Turbinator said:
TBH even though this match was pretty one sided, I enjoyed it, and TBH the first Ashes match I actually watched and kept up with. Even as a neutral fan, I had fun watching it, mainly because of the hype and atmosphere.
Good to hear. I`m glad your attitude changed somewhat, hopefully the series will be a bit more competitive. :)

Turbinator

Nnanden said:
Good to hear. I`m glad your attitude changed somewhat, hopefully the series will be a bit more competitive. :)
Yup, I agree now somewhat that this is the best series out there for neutral fans... however, personally, being Indian, I would obviously still rather watch an India/Pak series (unlike SS). :happy:

Btw can't wait for the next game, however, I can wait for the next India/SA game.

Slow Love™

Haven't really been able to get online much this weekend - so a few thoughts about the last few days' play:

* Good fighting innings from Pietersen - Simon O'Donnell's stupid sounding, badly delivered threat ended up having some validity, particularly looking at some of the interplay between KP and Warney. Kept himself in check for the most part, although there was a loss of concentration from around when Gilchrist missed that very difficult stumping chance. For the record I think Bucknor (who's really mounting a comeback of sorts) was exactly right on the bottom-edge appeal, I don't think KP hit it, and I don't think Warne thought he did either. Pity he went so early the following morning, but at 5 down overnight I don't think many of us expected the match to last long on the fifth day.

* Great stuff from the master, McGrath. Wouldn't say he's silenced the doubters completely, as there are still four tests to go and most qualms are about his fitness through the series, but he certainly offered a pretty direct response in that first innings - a bit worried about his ankle thingy though. Clark has been fantastic, and is a real asset in this attack. I hope we keep him.

* Bell managed to grind out another 50 in the first innings (didn't trouble the scorers in the second innings though). He was obviously more comfortable on the third morning than the second evening, even if every time I see him he looks like he's hanging on by the skin of his teeth. But although I still don't rate him that highly, I definitely respect his ability to not give up and keep his concentration when he survives a rough start. Still looks pretty dodgy outside off stump to the pacers for mine.

* I had to laugh at the commentators being so certain that Punter would enforce the follow-on, when the English were bowled out, 'cause I just knew he wouldn't. Still, not enforcing at 450 ahead, and citing as a reason that batting would get harder later on smacks of little faith in the players. It's amusing that people are trying so hard to justify the decision, but I just see it as unnecessary, and excessively defensive. I'm pretty used to it by now though so it wasn't too upsetting, and I don't imagine there will be any repercussions until it actually effects a result (or comes really close).

* Collingwood played really well in that second dig. IMO, he's got a bit of steel about him and is a bit underrated as a test cricketer. But that jump down the pitch to Warne was completely idiotic, and was akin to something a South African might do. Didn't invalidate his innings, but as captain, you would have been furious, in spite of the fact that he'd kept the Aussie bowlers out and counter-attacked so well up to that point. Unless of course you yourself were about to go out and play a suicidal pull shot like Flintoff did shortly after.

* Onya Langer. Great heart, and deserves more faith than he gets from sections of the Aussie press.

* How worried should we be about Gilly's batting? I really hope he manages to clock up some runs this series.

* Hard to say what the rest of the series offers - I still feel that unless Harmison clicks, England are really going to struggle to take 20 Australian wickets. England may walk away from this test feeling a little better about things in the end, but the truth is that if the follow-on had been enforced, it's likely they would have copped an innings defeat by the second session of the fourth day's play. In spite of some of the fight shown by England's bats as the match progressed, the gap between the teams at this stage looks immense at this stage. But anything can happen, it's just one test.

Slow Love™

wpdavid said:
Yup, he's shot. We're looking at the result of a lethal cocktail of laziness, under achievement and weak management at all levels of his career. Laziness + complacency begats the form that we've seen over the last 2 years which, in turn begats the mental muddle which he seems to be in. In an ideal world, he'd join the reserves and learn how to bowl, which would at least help Durham out next summer as he shouldn't be allowed within a mile of the England side again. Instead, the lazy git will probably stay in the side as he has sooo much potential, which is nothing short of scandalous. Either that, or he'll fly home by Christmas and walk back into the side next summer. Which would be even more scandalous. What astonished me is the level of fantasy that some English commentators indulge in when it comes to Spinelessone. I can only assume that they just haven't followed the game at all over the last 2 years.
Haha, I suppose this is a bad time to mention that I previously argued they should keep him then... I can understand the disappointment and the fact that many English fans have lost faith in him, but I still believe he's the most likely bowler outside of Flintoff to take a bag of Aussie wickets, and I think that's gonna be critical if England are to have a chance of making this series a contest.

Yes, he was terrible the first couple of days (though he has shown some small improvement as the match has progressed) - do I believe Mahmood would be worse? I suppose not in terms of the radar being so off, but I can certainly see Mahmood walking away with comparable figures. If he stays this miserable then so be it, you can only push so far (as we found last time with Dizzy), but I'd definitely give him another chance if I was an English selector. And if they want to play both spinners in Adelaide, yes, I'd probably drop Anderson.

Incidentally, amongst thoughts that his action needs serious work, Michael Holding thinks that England will struggle to bowl Australia out twice without Harmison at his best.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I didn`t think Warne thought it was out either, until they showed a replay, where it appeared Warne marched down the pitch celebrating, then turned around and looked shocked to see it not-out.

Slow Love™

Nnanden said:
I didn`t think Warne thought it was out either, until they showed a replay, where it appeared Warne marched down the pitch celebrating, then turned around and looked shocked to see it not-out.
Yeah, but from what I remember Warne didn't really respond till Gilchrist got all excited. I could be wrong, though. Either way, I think the right call was made.

Slow Love™

Nnanden said:
Fair enough. :) What do you think the noise was?
No idea, I didn't think it was that conclusive. I was confused by the reactions, to be honest, I didn't even think it was that close. Dunno that I'd rely on the hotspot thingy, but to me, it showed nothing.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BingLeeElectric said:

Laughable.
I like the way you only look at the decisions in his favour when criticising him...

Son Of Coco

Slow Love™ said:
No idea, I didn't think it was that conclusive. I was confused by the reactions, to be honest, I didn't even think it was that close. Dunno that I'd rely on the hotspot thingy, but to me, it showed nothing.
I think I'm the only one that thought it did...right on the bottom of the bat. It seems like nobody else saw it though so, maybe I was looking into the sun! haha Warney's reaction didn't look encouraging, however KP's reaction as soon as it hit Gilchrist's gloves suggested otherwise.

FaaipDeOiad

I'm not sure if it hit the bat or not, but I'm inclined to believe it did based on Gilchrist's reaction. I can't see him jumping around and appealing that confidently and instinctively in unison with Hayden despite a complete lack of support from the bowler unless he heard or saw something, and he was far closer than the umpire.

Pietersen's not really the walking type, and those sort of edges can often escape the attention of someone at the other end of the pitch. Anyway, it was a difficult one to be sure about, so tough to give out, but there was certainly a noise.

Son Of Coco

FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm not sure if it hit the bat or not, but I'm inclined to believe it did based on Gilchrist's reaction. I can't see him jumping around and appealing that confidently and instinctively in unison with Hayden despite a complete lack of support from the bowler unless he heard or saw something, and he was far closer than the umpire.

Pietersen's not really the walking type, and those sort of edges can often escape the attention of someone at the other end of the pitch. Anyway, it was a difficult one to be sure about, so tough to give out, but there was certainly a noise.
It seemed to me Pietersen said 'No' with a fairly pained expression on his face as soon as it went past too...maybe it was a hemorrhoid popping.

Craig

World Traveller
chris.hinton said:
Flintoff simply is not a captains jockstrap, Giles is useless with the ball and when the belief came back it was too late

Drop Harmison and play Panesar keep Giles in for Insurance but bowl Panesar more then him.

Questions need to be asked though
And God has returned :notworthy