• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Bangladesh in CWLand

Mr Mxyzptlk

I don't know any other nation whose Test players play games in between games in series which are this compactly scheduled - hence the main players being centrally contracted.
And I don't know any other Test nations that played 4 and 5 Test series against South Africa, Australia and England before they'd won a Test series. So we're even.

ash chaulk

I don't know any other nation whose Test players play games in between games in series which are this compactly scheduled - hence the main players being centrally contracted.

Makes me wonder what the central contracts actually do mean?
something to do with player payments maybe?

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Second Test: Cricket Web XI vs Bangladesh
at Fardin Qayyumi CC

Scorecard
Commentary

Peter Young continued a triumphant return to Test cricket with a second double-century, suggesting, at least for the moment, that Brendan Goff's contributions from number three in the order will not be missed. On a fine batting wicket, Cricket Web prevailed by 274 runs to take an easy 2-0 series win, while Young lifted his career batting average by five notches. Also notable was the stunning recovery of Thamba Mamesh, who came back from a golden duck to slam 188 vital runs as Bangladesh were grounded into submission.

Cricket Web batted first on a sunny day in Goffmouth, but Mortaza struck gold immediately, with one swinging away off Mamesh' bat to Nafees at third slip. And that was it. Mørk and Young notched up 44 from the next 47 deliveries, going on the attack immediately, and with Tamim slipping one through his hands, assurance came over the batsmen. By lunch, the total was 125 for one, and the match and the series appeared to go firmly the way of the Webheads.

Rafique got the honour of the second innings, a weary outside edge from Mørk on 81; the wicket-keeper looked anxious to get back in the pavilion to watch Dev League coverage. This brought Cloete in for a chance to redeem himself, and after getting a life on 18, he eased to 48 before smashing the new ball to Bashar.

All the while, Young had quietly assembled another fine innings. Having scored his first century in 76 Test innings just the previous week, he had now acquired back-to-back hundreds shortly before tea, and eked Saqibul for a single to make it past 150 yet again despite some nervy edges off Mortaza's second new ball. He survived, and after rain washed out the morning session, he came back into his groove after that and shared a his sixth-wicket lesson in counter-attacking the spinners with Wilson. With the threat of rain in the air, the two scored at a rate just below five an over, with Young driving Rafique for four and the double century midway through the first proper session of play. Shahadat was eventually the lucky bowler as Young wafted to Rafique, but his 204 had already given the Webheads a hefty platform to play with.

Bangladesh once more had the measure of the tail, though Kennett smashed a six, thus inducing five coronaries and the bankruptcies of several major bookmakers. However, Thomas got in an over before tea, nabbing the wicket of Omar with his second ball in what was probably his finest over all match.

Kennett struck in the over after tea, taking Bashar out for a seven-ball nine, but there was for a change dogged resistance from Bangladesh. Though Rahim managed to inside-edge an innocuous delivery from Butler, Rajin Saleh and Shahriar Nafees batted with conviction, feasting on Thomas' second spell as they raced to a stand of 73. Halsey, however, struck in his second over, but Saqibul and Rajin held out as the second day ended, leaving the tourists 307 behind with six wickets in hand.

Rajin continued his excellent vigil on the third day. Having spent his first 28 balls to reach 39, he then went into a mode of resistance, fighting off Pickup's googlies and Thomas' bouncers with ease. The hundred was applauded by every man in the half-filled stadium, though by that time Bangladesh were nine down after Wilson had dug into the tail-enders. A further 36 runs came after lunch, however, before Wilson struck again to enjoy the best figures of the match, even though his highest-batting wicket was Rafique.

With the clock already past three on the third day, runs were required. Mørk and Mamesh settled in neatly for a 158-run first-wicket partnership, though Mørk was very uncomfortable attempting to attack Rafique and eventually gave up a simple catch for Bashar at midwicket. This, however, was to the betterment of the team, as Young entered to form an even more brutal partnership with Mamesh. One Shahadat over on the fourth morning went for 25 runs - all off Mamesh - as the 150 was brought up off 148 balls. Though Rafique struck a couple of times, removing Mamesh for a Test-high 188, Cricket Web achieved the main objective of scoring bucketloads before lunch, smacking 219 in the 35-over session.

Bangladesh were left with five sessions for 601 - a mere formality. It appeared the bowlers thought so too, because they were decidedly off the boil, though credit goes out to Nafees and Rahim for good batting. Nafees collected his second 52 of the day before Halsey once more claimed his scalp, leaving Bangladesh at 83 for three on the stroke of tea.

There was to be no repeat of the Rajin century, though, but the remainder of the order impressed greatly. Saqibul and Tamim recorded belligerent fifties, while even Rafique joined in on the fun at the end, lashing six fours in his 37. Yet, Kennett came out on top, and Thomas returned after being brutally smashed to claim Rafique and Mortaza for some redemption. With the total nearing 300, Tamim was stranded after a misunderstanding with Mortaza, and the last resistor was broken by Young as he held the final catch diving forward from silly point.

Cricket Web XI 473 all out
PE Young 204, H Mørk 81, MW Wilson 60; Mashrafe Mortaza 3-123

Bangladesh 295 all out
Rajin Saleh 122*, Shahriar Nafees 52; MW Wilson 4-41

Cricket Web XI 422 for five declared
T Mamesh 188, PE Young 98, H Mørk 66; Mohammad Rafique 3-113

Bangladesh 326 all out
Tamim Iqbal 65, Saqibul Hasan 57, Shahriar Nafees 52; DM Kennett 4-91, TC Halsey 3-46

Cricket Web XI won by 274 runs
Man of the Match: P. E. Young (Cricket Web XI)

Cricket Web XI Test statistics
Bangladesh Test statistics

Travis_Teh

Holy crap, Pete!

Amazing showing from Thamba to get up from the first innings to perform in the second like that too. Guess Mork showed some great consistency there, too. ;)

Poor old Bangladesh.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Haha, Pete. Dominate much? Great win fellas. We smashed them as we should've.

Everyone had a great series, bar myself and Cloete.

MOTS points:
3. Young
2. Wilson
1. Butler

chaminda_00

Amazing stuff there, hopefully we can kick on from these last two Test Series wins and become a real force in Test Cricket. Might as well do some ratings for this series.

T Mamesh - 9/10. Apart from the duck in the 2nd innings, easierly the best Test series so far in his career. Two hundreds, as well as his highest score in Test Cricket
H Mork - 6/10. Three 50s, but didn't go on with it, something we can't afford when we play the bigger sides. Keeper was pretty average, but considering Mamesh's average keeping for Blue this season he isn't under a lot of pressure in that department.
P Young - 10/10. What a comeback to the international scene; 172, 204 and 98. The Bangladeshi bowlers will be having nightmares about the Pete for years to come one feels.
A Cloete - 4/10. One decent score of three with 48 in the 1st innings of the 2nd Test. But we all know that Andy isn't a minnow basher and stands up when the team needs him.
C Butler - 9/10. Probably should get 10/10 just for that 300 in the 1st Test, but he failed in the 1st innings of the 2nd Test. With two spinners in the squad hopefully Pickup continues to throw the ball to him, as i will be looking more from his bowling in coming Test series. Could play an important role as batting all rounder in the future.
R Dauth - 8/10. A brillant 150 in the 1st Test, which was overshadowed by Butler and Young, but a class innings
M Wilson - 8/10. Two 50s and 10 wickets, really starting to grow into the all rounder role. Still very much at development stage in his career, but im expecting some big performances soon.
T Halsey - 6/10. Wasn't required to go a great deal of work with the ball, with the seamers taking early wickets. He did however knock over the dangerous Nafees twice in the 2nd Test.
D Kennett - 7/10. Bowled some impressive spells throughout the series, finishing equal leading wicket taker with Wilson with 10 wickets.
G Thomas - 2/10. Continues to show potential at this level, but really needs to work on his consistency if his to keep the likes of Borcich warming the bench.
N Pickup - 4/10. With other bowlers taking wickets for CW, the new appointed captain wasn't required to play a major role.

Meh rating a bit high, but i guess they show how well the team played.

cbuts

as i said after the first test, i think the most encouraging thing is that we kept our standards to out level. To often in the past, we ahve played teams below us - but played to their level

Mister Wright

Fantastic win there guys. Well done to everyone in the XI, fine performances all round. Good to see the team doing so well. :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
P Young - 10/10. What a comeback to the international scene; 172, 204 and 98. The Bangladeshi bowlers will be having nightmares about the Pete for years to come one feels...
I had a nightmare about Pete once. It was when I was 13. He turned into a fire-breathing dragon with gigantic glasses and chased me down the stairs in my house.

David

International 12th Man
Happy with our performances, well played all, special props to Halsey & especially Wilson for backing up our batting efforts with good solid bowling efforts.