• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* CW XI in Sri Lanka Tour Thread

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Right, but how much control can you exert over how they turn out? Is it actually possible to have a slow turner if you want for a match? Because those conditions don't seem particularly Sri Lanka-like.
It sure is - I can't remember all the criteria but somewhere in the ALFTA subforum there's a list of them because we've had managers preparing their own grounds.

dinu23

FaaipDeOiad said:
I'm curious about the conditions... how much impact do they actually have? On day 3 in this game (as far at it went), it was a fairly good batting pitch with a few cracks, and good bounce with the occasion one lifting. That sounds more like the MCG on day 3 than Kandy, which is usually slow and dusty with low bounce and a LOT of turn by day 3.
yeah, the conditions don't match Kandy at all.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Nice of the Sri Lankans to prepare two seaming tracks for us, made my workload bearable for once :)

Kennett for Man of the Series anyone? :)

Mister Wright

FaaipDeOiad said:
Interesting. I wonder why this test started with high bounce and no spin then? Guess Liam will have to answer that one.
So we can win the test? Perhaps we should have a match fixing inquest. Perhaps a member of the Cricket Web community was paying the groundsman? :p

Mr Mxyzptlk

FaaipDeOiad said:
Interesting. I wonder why this test started with high bounce and no spin then? Guess Liam will have to answer that one.
Because if pitches are set to be too dusty and the bounce too mild at the start, they deteriorate by late in the second day. ITC just has a tendency for pitches to deteriorate quickly. The pitch settings favoured spin heavily, but that wasn't reflected in the bounce and wear.

EDIT: To clarify what I mean by deterioration, I'm referring to wickets falling every over or two and teams bowled out for sub100 scores.

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
Because if pitches are set to be too dusty and the bounce too mild at the start, they deteriorate by late in the second day. ITC just has a tendency for pitches to deteriorate quickly. The pitch settings favoured spin heavily, but that wasn't reflected in the bounce and wear.
Yeah ITC is funny that way..

Mr Mxyzptlk

Worth noting that the West Indies played at Kandy earlier this year and 20 of the first 28 wickets (over the course of 3 complete innings) fell to seamers. That extended into the 4th day of the Test.

In the first Test, 25 of 34 wickets to fall were to seamers.

FaaipDeOiad

Mr Mxyzptlk said:

EDIT: To clarify what I mean by deterioration, I'm referring to wickets falling every over or two and teams bowled out for sub100 scores.
Fair enough.

cricketboy29

Great win there guys, hope you guys continue and win many more. And us reds, are going to be glad as hell when kennett comes back, if he keeps on the sort of form he's in. He's got my vote for man of the series.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Notable stat:

CW XI is the first Test team to record successive innings victories in Sri Lanka.

Four more teams have achieved this feat in successive matches regardless of venue -

• Australia (Only Test in 1982-83 away, only Test in 1987-88 at home)
  • India (all three Tests at home in 1993-94)
  • Pakistan (3rd Test away in 1994, 1st Test in 1995-96)
  • South Africa (with three - across two series, 2nd and 3rd Tests in 2000-01 and 1st Test in 2002-03, both at home)