• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* West Indies Tour of England 2020

Woodster

don't wanna hate on the bloke but **** me denly has done well to still be getting picked

looks so out of his depth
I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Denly does look so out of his depth, I think the reason they’ve persevered with him for as long as they have is because they can see a Test player in there. He does look vulnerable at times, but so far today he’s looked to be positive where possible, the pitch is doing bits and he’s stuck in there. However, for a man that has had a long county career and averages just 36 it’s a lot to expect him to come into Test cricket and all of a sudden start averaging closer to 40 than 30.

His Test career is going exactly how you would expect looking at his first-class career. Days where he can look a real player, but invariably doesn’t cash in heavy enough to get that average towards 35/40, other times he can look vulnerable. I do agree he’s lucky to have played so many Tests for England in the last 12 months or so and I’d really like to see him succeed as he seems a lovely bloke!

Last edited:

Woodster

Why is there any surprise from people regarding the English weather ??! This is an issue that has plagued us for years and years, why would anyone expect any different ??!

Daemon

Honestly I'm just too happy to care that much about the rain and heavily truncated play. Cricket's back!

grecian

Why is there any surprise from people regarding the English weather ??! This is an issue that has plagued us for years and years, why would anyone expect any different ??!
It's just frustration ol' chap, first day of cricket for donkey's. and England reverts to type, after a (for us) pretty decent summer:)

Woodster

It's just frustration ol' chap, first day of cricket for donkey's. and England reverts to type, after a (for us) pretty decent summer:)
I understand that, but we’ve spent years of having the rain or general bad weather upset the applecart when we’ve been excited about a day’s play. Didn’t imagine this day would be any different, but it is still fantastic to have it back!

Beamer

Damn weather.

Thought we bowled perfectly for 10 overs them started to bowl a bit short. Hopefully they revert back to a fuller length tomorrow.

Woodster

Yes length is absolutely critical, take the risk and push it another yard fuller while the ball’s new and the pitch is offering enough encouragement. It may result in a few boundaries, players like Denly won’t be able to resist, he’s got away with one because WI didn’t pack the cordon.

Burgey

I wouldn’t necessarily agree that Denly does look so out of his depth, I think the reason they’ve persevered with him for as long as they have is because they can see a Test player in there. He does look vulnerable at times, but so far today he’s looked to be positive where possible, the pitch is doing bits and he’s stuck in there. However, for a man that has had a long county career and averages just 36 it’s a lot to expect him to come into Test cricket and all of a sudden start averaging closer to 40 than 30.

His Test career is going exactly how you would expect looking at his first-class career. Days where he can look a real player, but invariably doesn’t cash in heavy enough to get that average towards 35/40, other times he can look vulnerable. I do agree he’s lucky to have played so many Tests for England in the last 12 months or so and I’d really like to see him succeed as he seems a lovely bloke!
He had a slyly decent Ashes last year in a series where everyone not named Smith struggled to make consistent runs. I also think he's a bit better than his returns so far suggest.

Chubb

He had a slyly decent Ashes last year in a series where everyone not named Smith struggled to make consistent runs. I also think he's a bit better than his returns so far suggest.
Have to be honest, I think Denly's relationship with Ed Smith is also crucial. They are very good friends. There's a reason he wasn't on the scene until Smith got involved in the set up.

Bitter comprehensive survivor here which is why I dislike this kind of public school network, even if I'm being unfair to both men.

Hate the Mail as much as anyone but come on, Denly literally said "thanks Ed" when he returned to England colours: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/c...team-mate-Ed-Smith-second-chance-England.html

Edit - apparently Joe Denly did not attend a private school. But I stand by my other comments.

Last edited:

stephen

Burns played a few nice shots.

Holder gets quite a bit of bounce doesn't he? I could see him being effective in Australia if he gets his lengths right (and that's a big if- if he doesn't he'll be extremely hittable at his place.