• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

QANTAS grounds its entire fleet

Top_Cat

BREAKING NEWS: Qantas grounds entire fleet | News.com.au

Qantas credibility attacked by Government Minister | Plane Talking

Dick move by Joyce. Seems fairly clear his plans to take QANTAS out of the domestic market altogether are on in earnest, why bother negotiating with unions when you're planning on moving their jobs off-shore anyway? Sucks for those with jobs here, either they move to Asia and get paid local (lower) rates or they stay here and aim for employment with JQ at, again, lower pay rates.

I do wonder whether the shareholders would have been as eager to approve Joyce's $2M payrise on Thu had they known this was coming.....

Last edited:

James

Cricket Web Owner
I can see it from both sides, but the unions have already cost Qantas A$68 million dollars in their strike action and have said they're not going to stop anytime soon. They've backed Qantas into a corner and almost forced a decision like this to have to happen.

It sucks to be an employee for Qantas and potentially lose your job over work being taken off-shore but ultimately Qantas is there to make money for its shareholders and have a sustainable future.

Spark

Global Moderator
Then they should have asked FWA to arbitrate first rather than forced FWA to arbitrate.

Spikey

I can see it from both sides, but the unions have already cost Qantas A$68 million dollars in their strike action and have said they're not going to stop anytime soon. They've backed Qantas into a corner and almost forced a decision like this to have to happen.

It sucks to be an employee for Qantas and potentially lose your job over work being taken off-shore but ultimately Qantas is there to make money for its shareholders and have a sustainable future.
main thing i took out of this post is that James is looking off-shore and look out current mods.

Redbacks

I'm a litterbug so I should be fine.

QATAS's international business loses about $250million a year apparently. With out favoured government seats for pollies and the rewards points scheme at home the business would be close to going down the toilet. The traders dream is that Joyce will merge the company into Jetsar.

Redbacks

Abetz gave the game away on meet the press last sunday when we found out the union guy in charge [of the QANTAS dispute] was about to be elected as Julias Boss.

Redbacks

The 2 sides of Smith:

The businessman - Australian kids should be eating Australian products even if it costs more.

The commentator - Australian kids will fly on the cheapest products.

Agent Nationaux

BREAKING NEWS: Qantas grounds entire fleet | News.com.au

Qantas credibility attacked by Government Minister | Plane Talking

Dick move by Joyce. Seems fairly clear his plans to take QANTAS out of the domestic market altogether are on in earnest, why bother negotiating with unions when you're planning on moving their jobs off-shore anyway? Sucks for those with jobs here, either they move to Asia and get paid local (lower) rates or they stay here and aim for employment with JQ at, again, lower pay rates.

I do wonder whether the shareholders would have been as eager to approve Joyce's $2M payrise on Thu had they known this was coming.....
Don't know about Australia but here in the UK, there has been a nearly 50% payrise for directors within the last one year.

Redbacks

Don't know about Australia but here in the UK, there has been a nearly 50% payrise for directors within the last one year.
Super funds are the game changer, they act on the bottom line alone. Despite probably over 50% of the population against salary rises, 97% of the shareholders voted in favour at the board meeting for QANTAS. Joyce takes a 10% reduction in base salary with the extra 2.8 mil based on performance bonuses.