• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Question on ban announcements

Athlai

Not Terrible
Whilst I understand it might be difficult to deal with so many voices at once, the fact that you plan to talk with Shri/other mods in three months time is an unintentional admission that your original ruling was hypocritical. No-one here is asking you to answer back to every post, we're just asking you to give the people what they want & #freeshri, if you can't/won't do that then maybe you should resign, man.

I'm sure people told the movers & shakers of the Occupy Wall Street campaign that "camping here isn't going to help anyone" but that doesn't invalidate their cause at all.
Stop being insane jimmy. Your words on a cricket forum are simply out of control can't you see that they need to take time to make serious decisions about the arbitrary rule system?

Daemon

Whilst I understand it might be difficult to deal with so many voices at once, the fact that you plan to talk with Shri/other mods in three months time is an unintentional admission that your original ruling was hypocritical. No-one here is asking you to answer back to every post, we're just asking you to give the people what they want & #freeshri, if you can't/won't do that then maybe you should resign, man.

I'm sure people told the movers & shakers of the Occupy Wall Street campaign that "camping here isn't going to help anyone" but that doesn't invalidate their cause at all.
How is it an admission that the original ban was unwarranted? They just want him to serve the initial 3 months he got.

This has already been addressed anyways.

Gnske

Most of the posts don't even contain any questions, they're just rants, memes and jokey insults. Which is fine, but I don't know why people were expecting replies if so. I've already said my piece. None of this is beneath me, if anything I'm probably above my station being the only mod actually replying to questions about Shri in the thread, but I've already said what I had to say in response to the issues people have brought up, saying it again isn't going to help.
Can you please provide the minutes of all moderator conversations regarding Shri's reinstatement. I think we deserve daily reports with James's signature on them.

I love you though pls don't forget that. You Stasi ****. I love you.

is anyone actually seriously mad about this?
Aren't we all just a little mad for Shri?

the big bambino

A reasonable response .
A reasonable person would have shut up by now. Its not a few posts. Its page after page of lets see who can say the most absurd thing. Or who can muster the greatest faux outrage. You've already been told mods will revisit the ban after 3 months have gone. What more do you want? Maybe this place is made up of asshole intellectuals. Too much of the former and not enough of the latter being displayed.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Whilst I understand it might be difficult to deal with so many voices at once, the fact that you plan to talk with Shri/other mods in three months time is an unintentional admission that your original ruling was hypocritical.
He had a multi, I gave him an infraction for the multi. I didn't manually decide the ban length. When I realised it was going to be a year I thought immediately that we'd probably end up letting him back early, but that doesn't mean giving him the infraction was hypocritical. It just means the infraction system is sometimes imperfect and in extreme cases needs to over-riden.

I'm not saying the campaign here isn't going to help anyone, but me replying to it with the same thing over and over isn't.

No-one here is asking you to answer back to every post, we're just asking you to give the people what they want & #freeshri
Haha yep, exactly. These complaints cloaked in the idea that the problem was me (the only mod who actually did reply) not replying were ultimately just gripes about not getting what you want. I don't really believe for a second that if I'd been in here saying the same thing over and over again instead of saying my piece and then letting people rant that Gnske wouldn't have decided to start infecting Cricket Chat. So this:

Tbf if the mod in question wasn't hiding from everything that's going on in this thread there'd be no need to approach them about it in other threads.
... is pretty much just straight BS. The gripe is clearly much more about what I said than the fact that I only said it once or twice instead of giving everyone their own stylised version of it, so we can probably drop the pretence.

Athlai

Not Terrible
A reasonable person would have shut up by now. Its not a few posts. Its page after page of lets see who can say the most absurd thing. Or who can muster the greatest faux outrage. You've already been told mods will revisit the ban after 3 months have gone. What more do you want? Maybe this place is made up of asshole intellectuals. Too much of the former and not enough of the latter being displayed.
This is a forum. What you are reading is text on a screen that is an expression of an idea. There is no faux outrage. There is nothing absurd about what is occurring. Talking **** is the ENTIRE point. People are perfectly entitled to have poor opinions, to irrationally defend a friend they have had for years, this is all fine.

If rules are broken then moderate. If you cannot handle how a community discussion is going, then perhaps its worth all of us revisiting why we belong to this community?

zorax

likes this
The perverse incentives this would create would be absolutely terrible. I'd sooner ask James to make sledger a moderator.
i think you need to apply some common sense. You can tell when one poster is openly baiting or antagonizing another, like Burgey is to HB. If HB were to blow his lid and do something worthy of a Perma, Burgey then should not be exonerated of his crimes.

But in the case of a Watson, Blocky, Miyagi or Wrongun style poster, I think we could forgive those who don't have the patience or intelligence to wait around for them to finally #crosstheline.

This isn't that big a forum. We don't have so much going on that it's impossible to apply discretion. Rules do not need to applied consistently across the board. I think most of us would be fine if we had to cop a 1 month ban for posting in an unacceptable manner towards a toxic forumer who eventually gets perma'd, but 3 months does seem excessive.

But I do understand that applying discretion in this manner = more moaning and arguing among forumers + more work for you lot.

honestbharani

I will not agree that consistency is not required. Coz once you say that out loud, it becomes way too difficult to maintain any kind of standard. It seems the mods are discussing on exact length of the ban and as PEWS indicated, the infraction system cannot apply itself differently to different posters. So obviously this is a case where the system needs to be overriden and I am assuming once they have some kind of consensus on the exact length of ban Shri needs to serve (starting the day the ban was announced and adding the days he did not post as either Shri or googlyeyes, I would hope) it would be applied for that length and he can be back once that time is served.

Basically, it seems everyone is getting what they asked for and they all got to get in a few shots at the mods and James with varying levels of seriousness, so why still fuss over it?

the big bambino

This is a forum. What you are reading is text on a screen that is an expression of an idea. There is no faux outrage. There is nothing absurd about what is occurring. Talking **** is the ENTIRE point. People are perfectly entitled to have poor opinions, to irrationally defend a friend they have had for years, this is all fine.

If rules are broken then moderate. If you cannot handle how a community discussion is going, then perhaps its worth all of us revisiting why we belong to this community?
This would all be fine if you had no consideration for anyone else ... do you behave like this in person? Defend someone, fine. State your opinion. You behave like that then don't be surprised if someone tells you you're going ott. At some point either fatigue or reflection will tell you that you haven't anything more to say.

Gnske

Haha yep, exactly. These complaints cloaked in the idea that the problem was me (the only mod who actually did reply) not replying were ultimately just gripes about not getting what you want. I don't really believe for a second that if I'd been in here saying the same thing over and over again instead of saying my piece and then letting people rant that Gnske wouldn't have decided to start infecting Cricket Chat. So this:
That's wrong, at the very least in regards to the draft thread incident which was far too direct and indecent. My indirect incisive and thought provoking complaints about your authoritarian regime in CC would definitely have still gone ahead. It's not a movement if you never leave 2nd Street.

But come on man, I thought you believed in minimal governance. Put your money where your mouth is and not your victims where your gulags are.

Athlai

Not Terrible
This would all be fine if you had no consideration for anyone else ... do you behave like this in person? Defend someone, fine. State your opinion. You behave like that then don't be surprised if someone tells you you're going ott. At some point either fatigue or reflection will tell you that you haven't anything more to say.
What?

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
That's wrong, at the very least in regards to the draft thread incident which was far too direct and indecent.
Haha funnily enough that was the one I didn't care about, because at least I'd actually posted when you did that. Going into a thread I haven't posted in for days to find you going on about me being a Nazi is annoying though, I think the AusDom thread was the one that really pissed me off. A couple of people actually reported it too, not because they found it offensive but just because they didn't give a **** about our inside baseball drama and wanted to read about the Aussie domestic season.

Last edited:

zorax

likes this
I will not agree that consistency is not required. Coz once you say that out loud, it becomes way too difficult to maintain any kind of standard.
They are already open to revisiting Shri's ban, so it's already inconsistent, and the 'standard' as Athlai points out is entirely arbitrary and built in order to serve the community. There should always be room for discussion and revision when the community deems it appropriate.

I agree with the mod team's action so far. What I am proposing is that when a particularly toxic forumer comes around, we should consider retracting/revising infractions and bans handed out to people who have abused/gotten into flame wars with said forumer. I think most of us will be happy if this was something brought in, even if the application of this principle is not perfect. But I understand the mod team's hesitation.

jimmy101

Tbf now that you've returned to address some of these posts it has indeed given some people (incl. myself) a clearer picture of what's transpiring & indicated to people that you are indeed listening. Simply ignoring the thread is what led it to spiral out of control & push some people to take it to the next level just to get noticed. Like most people have been saying, no-one here has anything personal against you bro. We just feel a special dispensation should be made in this case & Shri was treated far too harshly.

Burgey

Look I'm not here to speak on anyone's behalf. But I deal with the consequences of bullying quite a bit due to the nature of my job and in almost every incident the offending party was just having fun without meaning to cause any malice. There's always been tons of posting on CW that I just assumed was ok because surely the people involved were all in on some joke I was missing. Once you realize that's not the case it becomes clear just how little self-awareness some of you have about what you post and how it can and is taken by the targets of those posts.
That'd be yes then

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Tbf now that you've returned to address some of these posts it has indeed given some people (incl. myself) a clearer picture of what's transpiring & indicated to people that you are indeed listening. Simply ignoring the thread is what led it to spiral out of control & push some people to take it to the next level just to get noticed.
Fair enough. I actually thought if I kept arguing/repeating myself it'd just make things worse, was probably a bad call in hindsight.

zorax

likes this
Tbf now that you've returned to address some of these posts it has indeed given some people (incl. myself) a clearer picture of what's transpiring & indicated to people that you are indeed listening. Simply ignoring the thread is what led it to spiral out of control & push some people to take it to the next level just to get noticed. Like most people have been saying, no-one here has anything personal against you bro. We just feel a special dispensation should be made in this case & Shri was treated far too harshly.
i was just in it for the lulz

jimmy101

Fair enough. I actually thought if I kept arguing/repeating myself it'd just make things worse, was probably a bad call in hindsight.
I admit I went OTT at times in here. Hope the issue can get resolved eventually, it mustn't be easy as the issue isn't exactly straightforward. We all appreciate your work brother.

Gnske

I think the AusDom thread was the one that really pissed me off. A couple of people actually reported it too, not because they found it offensive but just because they didn't give a **** about our inside baseball drama and wanted to read about the Aussie domestic season.
But who is the real victim here, them or the guy who had the bravery to stand up to the machine and was fallen afoul by those annoyed by his sacrifice for them?

#FREESHRI